Sponsored by:

strong smell of gasoline when I stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:16 AM
jsimon
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canncann

Did you ever notice fuel dripping from that line or just fumes? Mine is dripping fuel!
I have an '18 Heritage 114 with 10k miles and I'm having this same issue. Small 2" diameter gas puddle on the floor under the left rear side. I also smell gas while riding and stopping. I tend to notice the puddle with 1/2 a tank of fuel or less so I know it's not over filled tank issue unless it takes a while to drip down that tube. I'll have to have the dealer check it out....along with that damn vibrating gas cap.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,464 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimon
I have an '18 Heritage 114 with 10k miles and I'm having this same issue. Small 2" diameter gas puddle on the floor under the left rear side. I also smell gas while riding and stopping. I tend to notice the puddle with 1/2 a tank of fuel or less so I know it's not over filled tank issue unless it takes a while to drip down that tube. I'll have to have the dealer check it out....along with that damn vibrating gas cap.
I have an '06 Sottail and when I fuel up my tank on my way to work I will come out after it has sat in the sun I find fuel on the ground. The fuel gets pushed out by the heat, but if I have a half tank (for example) I will not have the puddle. I have not done anything except, now I do not fuel until after work so I do not leak fuel.
I also get the fuel smell in my garage because of that hose. it is worse on the Sporty which has a Carb.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ump-issue.html

The following users liked this post:
jsrracing (10-18-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Did you get it figured out ?

Old 10-24-2018, 06:20 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Steer clear of all those "chili cook-off's" and you'll notice the gas smell will subside.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:04 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

This sounds EXACTLY like what was common to most Yamaha Ventures. Small dab of fuel under vent tube after bike sit still hot or parked in hot sunshine for awhile. Same cause. Yam would not address the issue. They said it was “normal.”

Oddly, my 2018 RGU does not do this. Almost 11k miles riding in SoCal heat. Never a drip or whiff of fuel. To me, that is the oddity. AFAIK all Ventures did this, but not all HD tourers do. I wonder why.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:31 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm having the gas smell after we ride and park in the garage.twisted the gas cap slowly off and had some pressure that vented out..is that normal?

Old 05-19-2019, 07:14 AM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Double post removed

Last edited by flashracer; 05-19-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 AM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The vibrating gas cap drove me crazy. It was so bad on my 17 limited , I brought it back to dealership to repair it. It took 4 trips to fix it. I now have 18 CVO and same thing but they worked on the button and fixed it. As far as gasoline smell, about all of my Limited’s would give off a gas smell when sitting in my garage but no puddles

Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseyjeff62
i'm having the gas smell after we ride and park in the garage.twisted the gas cap slowly off and had some pressure that vented out..is that normal?
The pressure at the cap is normal.

Quick Reply: strong smell of gasoline when I stop