Sponsored by:

Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222
I have PV, 475c cam, FM Jackpot 2-1 road and track, SE high flow cleaner.
I had very similar things with my set up. Jamie sent me a baffle to add to my muffler and it helped a bunch but still not great between 1-2800 RPM but once it hits 3000 RPM hangs on to your *** she gots some *****. Just hoping we can get the low RPM bugs smoothed out.
I'm going to be using the D&D billet cat, getting the 475c installed tomorrow. I hope this setup works well, I can tell this pipe likes more rpm, my stock header/mk45 setup could be lugged pretty low, I haven't had it on a dyno yet but It doesn't seem as luggable as it used to be. A few days of riding it and I got used to just being a gear lower than I used to be. I wanted a setup that sounded aggressive and made horsepower, tired of feeling like my bikes out of poop when I'm out in the open desert, but hopefully the bottom end doesn't completely suck.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
I'm going to be using the D&D billet cat, getting the 475c installed tomorrow. I hope this setup works well, I can tell this pipe likes more rpm, my stock header/mk45 setup could be lugged pretty low, I haven't had it on a dyno yet but It doesn't seem as luggable as it used to be. A few days of riding it and I got used to just being a gear lower than I used to be. I wanted a setup that sounded aggressive and made horsepower, tired of feeling like my bikes out of poop when I'm out in the open desert, but hopefully the bottom end doesn't completely suck.
Though about this set up, look fwd to your findings, i'm subscribed

Old 07-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
Though about this set up, look fwd to your findings, i'm subscribed
I’ll let you know, sounds to me like the person that posted earlier about this setup stumbling on the bottom end and stuff could be a tuning issue. I don’t know, I really like the pipe. Looks and sounds great. Just don’t wanna deal with a drive ability issue

Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
We cant stress enough how sensitive the M8 motor is exhaust & cam wise. I'll start by saying you chose two components we really like; the D&D 2/1 and S&S 475 cam, excellent parts for sure however on a stock compression 107 they may not be optimum together. We've found the 475c to be a but finicky tunability & response wise on stock engines with bigger open exhausts, this includes 2/1's that are designed to support higher than stock HP levels such as the D&D, Jackpot, and Bassani. With the larger 2/1 systems the 475 cam moves the power much further to the right side of the curve and low RPM response is affected. For better low RPM & mid range power with the D&D pipe there are cams that will work better such as the S&S 465c, Wood 22X, RS468, or CR-460, each of these will make much stronger low RPM power in your application. If you purchased the cam from us we can swap it for a different cam better suited to what you are looking for no problem.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following 3 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
lp (07-12-2018), Max Headflow (07-12-2018), Steve N, (07-14-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We cant stress enough how sensitive the M8 motor is exhaust & cam wise. I'll start by saying you chose two components we really like; the D&D 2/1 and S&S 475 cam, excellent parts for sure however on a stock compression 107 they may not be optimum together. We've found the 475c to be a but finicky tunability & response wise on stock engines with bigger open exhausts, this includes 2/1's that are designed to support higher than stock HP levels such as the D&D, Jackpot, and Bassani. With the larger 2/1 systems the 475 cam moves the power much further to the right side of the curve and low RPM response is affected. For better low RPM & mid range power with the D&D pipe there are cams that will work better such as the S&S 465c, Wood 22X, RS468, or CR-460, each of these will make much stronger low RPM power in your application. If you purchased the cam from us we can swap it for a different cam better suited to what you are looking for no problem.
thanks jaime, I already have an appointment to get the cam installed tomorrow , so I think I’m just gonna give it a shot. I don’t mind giving up some bottom end power but I don’t wanna deal with nasty dribeabilty issues.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Alright I got the 475 cam put in today! Holy **** this is a whole new bike! This is what a Harley is supposed to be! Hearing some other people talk about this pipe/cam combo kinda freaked me out and after talking to Jaime I was pretty worried I was not going to like this cam. He just didn't think this pipe and cam would make any bottom end power. Ultimately I decided to go ahead and have it done and I am not disappointed! It is a little soft under 3000 rpm but it frickin wants to go! I think it still makes as much or more torque than stock, I usually keep my rpms above 2800 anyway so I think this setup does suit my riding style quite nicely. I think alot of guy like lugging their bike around between 2300-3500 rpm and if thats you this is not your setup but I really like it. The only thing Im kind of perturbed about is the file jaime sent me for this setup didn't work, the Tech that did the job said it was unrideable, luckily they had a file from a bike they did with a same setup but with a 465 cam, he put that file in made some adjustments I guess but it runs great, pipes aren't getting hot and it pulls like a raped ape once its to about 2800. I am going to ride it with this cam for a week or two and decide if I'm gonna stay with this setup, if I do I'm going to have the bike dyno tuned and really dialed in and see what its makin. I'm sure I could choose a different cam and get a broader power band no doubt, but the way it sounds, idles, the throttle is snappy, it feels like its a hard chargin son of a bitch now, it gave my Harley the attitude I wanted it to have. Heres a video but it doesn't do it justice.

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (12-17-2019)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:44 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Needs dyno , can only get better

The following 2 users liked this post by yobtaf103:
GPHDXLC (07-14-2018), Kyle Moore (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 AM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by yobtaf103
Needs dyno , can only get better
I have a trip coming up next weekend, I figure it'll give me a chance to get to know this setup and decide If I wanna run this cam or go to the 465 cam. I think I'm gonna stay with this cam though, I rode it to work this morning and my only complaint about it is now I have this weird area at 50mph where I would normally be lugging around in 5th and now I wanna be in 4th, which is about 2700-2800 rpm. My brother took it for a spin and he thought exactly what I thought, its kinda like riding a twin cam where it wants to be above 2500rpm, only it actually has some horsepower haha. Just need to adapt to it a little, but Not bad. If I rode 2 up a lot or had a full dresser loaded down with camping stuff I would probably definitely need to go to the 465. If I do decide to stay with this cam I am going to have it dyno tuned when I get back, they said they could get me in on the 26th.

Last edited by Kyle Moore; 07-14-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Don't ride in 5th gear when going 50.

It's like trying to stand up from a full squat with someone sitting on your shoulders.

​​​​

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Moore (07-14-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:24 PM
FLshovelhead
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We cant stress enough how sensitive the M8 motor is exhaust & cam wise. .
What exhaust setup do you recommend for a Redline 468 cam that does NOT use a 2-1 exhaust system?

Quick Reply: Milwaukee Eight 107 cam testing