Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fix Is In!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

You are a "Steeley Eyed Missile Man". I wish you luck and I agree, sell the fix to the MoCo! Maybe they will name one of the new models the "Stonecold"

Last edited by Cbyway; 02-21-2018 at 09:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel58 (11-06-2020)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,269 Likes on 3,635 Posts

Looks good. Did you by any chance put an indicator on the nuts sealing surface to check run out?

It seems to me that the cost for the mod could be cut some since some tooling has been made on the first run.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 498 Posts

Been waiting for this post for a long time. Can't wait to hear the results.

Awesome job sir.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM
chuckie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A super thank you for all the digging that you did on this problem and for an initial solution. As you know a hardened and ground part for the seal to run on would be another step . great work !!!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,434 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
When you get tired of that nice bike being at the dealer more than it’s in your garage, let me know. I have another side cover I can take to the machinist. I can get you done for about $200. I’ll know if it works by the end of March.
Looks good, but what's with all that pink fluid? If that's already over in the primary, its going to take a good washing to get it out of there.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:11 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,434 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Looks good. Did you by any chance put an indicator on the nuts sealing surface to check run out?

It seems to me that the cost for the mod could be cut some since some tooling has been made on the first run.
I think it was a one off with no tooling made.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:20 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

I didn't check it Max, I will take a look at it tonight.

There was no tooling, I had a machine shop do the work.

Originally Posted by chuckie
A super thank you for all the digging that you did on this problem and for an initial solution. As you know a hardened and ground part for the seal to run on would be another step . great work !!!
I considered hardening, the machine shop said it shouldn't be necessary with the grade 8 nut.

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Looks good, but what's with all that pink fluid? If that's already over in the primary, its going to take a good washing to get it out of there.
Yes there has been probably a pint in the primary. I'm going to pull the primary cover and clean it. I have an AIM system I want to install before we do the cam tests. I will pull the plates out and clean them also.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:23 PM
whocares
Road Warrior
Received 432 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Looks like red line shockproof.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,269 Likes on 3,635 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I didn't check it Max, I will take a look at it tonight.

There was no tooling, I had a machine shop do the work.
I would have thought that the shop would have single point threaded a piece of 1 inch steel to the 3/4-16 and used it to cut the sealing surface centered on the threads.. I'm curious as to how close he got it. Seems to me that it would be the easiest way to grab the nut.. How tall was the nut you used?

As far as the cover goes, I would think that the machinist would put a couple holes in a pallet to hold the cover.. A better way would be to use the cover locating pins. Then once set up it would tale less then 15 minutes for each process. The setup / tear down, I would think, should be about 1 hour. Doing 20 sets should drop the price considerably.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:35 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

I would have thought that the shop would have single point threaded a piece of 1 inch steel to the 3/4-16 and used it to cut the sealing surface centered on the threads.. I'm curious as to how close he got it. Seems to me that it would be the easiest way to grab the nut.. How tall was the nut you used?

As far as the cover goes, I would think that the machinist would put a couple holes in a pallet to hold the cover.. A better way would be to use the cover locating pins. Then once set up it would tale less then 15 minutes for each process. The setup / tear down, I would think, should be about 1 hour. Doing 20 sets should drop the price considerably.
I'll be honest with you I don't know how it was done, I told them what I wanted when I dropped it off and when they called I picked it up. If I get demand for these then I will look into getting the price down. I would want to do an exchange where people send me a side cover and actuator and I send the modified ones back. I really think someone who is a machinist would be better suited for it. If someone picks it up and runs with it I have no qualms about it.

The length of the nut was .570". A quarter inch was left as hex. Seemed to work out well.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (02-21-2018)

Quick Reply: The Fix Is In!!!