Sponsored by:

Steve Cole's & $tonecold's Cam Testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:00 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
The 22x was my entry into Stage II, it ran very smoothly bottom to top with a Fuel Moto / Power Vision tune. I remember the bike being a pleasure to drive around town and plenty of on-ramp throttling fun.
I would Not open the cam chest for a SE cam.
Good to know. Thank you! I'd definitely buy my PV from Fuel Moto so I'd at least start with their canned tune.

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
I too have the 22x in both my 114's with a fuel moto tune its as smooth as stock at parking lot speed and has a good punch when you hit it. Excellent mileage too.
Good to know! You echo what OldMike said. Thank you.

Originally Posted by $tonecold
The SE cam we tested was the SE462, a midrange cam. It's more like the TTS150 we also tested. I'm sure if you are looking for more low end torque, the SE447 should do a better job than the SE462 we tested. You're also running a 114, so it is going to react a little differently to a cam than a 107 not only because of extra displacement, but also higher compression. Cams are not really that expensive, some are less than $200 and you can get a Wood 22X on DCP for $300, so I think you should pick one that you think you will be satisfied with, rather than one that you got at a discount. In the long run, it may keep you have to swap out the cam again.
Yeah cams aren't that expensive and I don't want to do trial and error experiments if I don't have to. That's why I do so much research up front before my purchases. Thank you for the input.

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
The SE447 cam isn't horrible, nor stellar.
Blue is a 107 with the SEHB, V&H SE Street Cannon mufflers, SE tuner, as a stage 1, & red is the same bike after adding the SE447 cam.
That's not disappointing at all and that's with the SE tuner! You'd gain even more with a TTS or PV. It appears to me that the internet's cries of "SE cams suck" are overstated. Typical of the internet. I would never expect an OEM cam to be as aggressive as the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I agree with this except that tcs could pull timing.. The TQ cam with stock exhaust and a slightly better AC makes the 107s work just fine. Much more enjoyable to me..
Good to know coming from somebody that seems so well respected on this site. Thank you for your input! I wonder if I even need a full exhaust (currently leaning towards the D&D Abuelo Cat) or if that would end up hurting low end torque. I don't know the diameter of the stock pipes compared to the D&D. Maybe just deleting the cat would be enough. I definitely want a little more volume than the stock exhaust with Cobra slip-ons offer on my Fat Bob, but I don't want obnoxiously loud.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:41 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
The SE447 cam isn't horrible, nor stellar.
Blue is a 107 with the SEHB, V&H SE Street Cannon mufflers, SE tuner, as a stage 1, & red is the same bike after adding the SE447 cam.
I haven't ridden a bike with a SE cam in it, but based on my research I'll agree with ridgidthumper. Besides slightly better gains than the SE torque cam, another reason I chose the WM8-22X over the SE cam was that I refuse to award HD with more money to change out the crap cam they stuffed in there with the one that should've come installed from factory.

The following users liked this post:
JatoTheRipper (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 04:06 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,352 Likes on 3,685 Posts

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
Good to know coming from somebody that seems so well respected on this site. Thank you for your input! I wonder if I even need a full exhaust (currently leaning towards the D&D Abuelo Cat) or if that would end up hurting low end torque. I don't know the diameter of the stock pipes compared to the D&D. Maybe just deleting the cat would be enough. I definitely want a little more volume than the stock exhaust with Cobra slip-ons offer on my Fat Bob, but I don't want obnoxiously loud.
If this is addressed to me, I don't really know much about exhaust systems on M8s. I do know that I like quiet. I don't know if even the cat is hold back all that much HP. I do know that M8 do seem to be much more sensitive to exhaust flow than TCs. I suspect that much of has to do with how much the exhaust flows and overlap. 4 valve heads are much more efficient at exhaust scavenging than 2 valve heads. To much exhaust flow kills the scavenging and low end TQ. Talk to the Dyno guys that are doing M8s. Fuel Moto might have suggestions.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,352 Likes on 3,685 Posts

Originally Posted by d_slat
I haven't ridden a bike with a SE cam in it, but based on my research I'll agree with rigidthumper. Besides slightly better gains than the SE torque cam, another reason I chose the WM8-22X over the SE cam was that I refuse to award HD with more money to change out the crap cam they stuffed in there with the one that should've come installed from factory.
While I agree that the Tq cam should have been standard on the M8s.. HD follows @Steve Cole 's attitude about where the torque should be except that Cole don't need to pass smog or noise emissions.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:22 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,683 Likes on 4,486 Posts

Originally Posted by d_slat
I haven't ridden a bike with a SE cam in it, but based on my research I'll agree with ridgidthumper. Besides slightly better gains than the SE torque cam, another reason I chose the WM8-22X over the SE cam was that I refuse to award HD with more money to change out the crap cam they stuffed in there with the one that should've come installed from factory.
etc. and, and etc...I mean. I got 1157 bulbs on my $32,000 'Special' version..pretty sure the same thing Plymouth used on my 1963 Valiant......and the crappy ball & socket shift linkage rod..I mean WTF is up wit dat !! those are some of the little of things that bother me most..LED lights should be standard, and enough of them to be safer than the lame offerings standard on many models

Last edited by mjwebb; 02-14-2022 at 04:29 PM.
smitty901 (03-05-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 05:21 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
etc. and, and etc...I mean. I got 1157 bulbs on my $32,000 'Special' version..pretty sure the same thing Plymouth used on my 1963 Valiant......and the crappy ball & socket shift linkage rod..I mean WTF is up wit dat !! those are some of the little of things that bother me most..LED lights should be standard, and enough of them to be safer than the lame offerings standard on many models
agreed. And as long as the quality is there I'll buy aftermarket parts to replace all of that too!

The following 2 users liked this post by d_slat:
smitty901 (03-05-2022), SWMB (02-15-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:21 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

Haven’t seen anything about the 22XE - good results from this cam?

JatoTheRipper (02-18-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 08:40 PM
JatoTheRipper
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
If this is addressed to me, I don't really know much about exhaust systems on M8s. I do know that I like quiet. I don't know if even the cat is hold back all that much HP. I do know that M8 do seem to be much more sensitive to exhaust flow than TCs. I suspect that much of has to do with how much the exhaust flows and overlap. 4 valve heads are much more efficient at exhaust scavenging than 2 valve heads. To much exhaust flow kills the scavenging and low end TQ. Talk to the Dyno guys that are doing M8s. Fuel Moto might have suggestions.
It was directed towards you. I like quiet as well, but I want to be able to hear my exhaust over the wind noise. The Cobra El Diablo slip ons with stock, pipes with cat just aren't cutting it. I have a big, bad 125cc Honda Grom with a Yoshimura exhaust. That thing would drown out my Harley as it currently runs. But the Yoshimura is basically an open pipe so you can extract every tenth of a horsepower out of that engine. I can't ride it for more than 30 minutes without getting a headache so I started wearing earplugs with it and then I'm fine.

Originally Posted by mjwebb
Everybody with a modern Harley is to blame for this. We keep paying the prices and Harley nickel and dimes people more each year. This Fat Bob being my first Harley, I'm freaking blown away that the hardware is bottom-shelf stuff. It's terrible. Made in China.

porkster (02-15-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 12:54 PM
Hog happy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
The 22x was my entry into Stage II, it ran very smoothly bottom to top with a Fuel Moto / Power Vision tune. I remember the bike being a pleasure to drive around town and plenty of on-ramp throttling fun.
I would Not open the cam chest for a SE cam.
Same here. I had Woods 555 cams in my last twin cam 103, and it was much, much more herky jerky down low than my M8 with the 114 22X-E. The 22X has a great idle lope, pulls hard where I ride and low speed handling is fine.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:38 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,720 Likes on 5,225 Posts

2020 RGL 114 RDRS 12,000 on it. Lifters seemed off . Not a new experience for me Decided to do them before it was to late. Here we go if you going to open it why not. Then a phone call to FM.
22X Woods cam. 22XE was an option but the numbers favored ranges I do not run in as much.
S&S lifters,Push rods ect
Dynojet Power visions never let me down yet
Already have a set of FM Jack pot mufflers here in a box
Jack pot 2-1-2 header sounds good add that to the list Please ship ASAP
That was fast all here the next day. Local INDY install. The woods 22X CAM was just what I wanted. Torque where I can use it with the Sidecar.
I also feel if SE cam was the only choice I would just leave it alone.

porkster (03-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Steve Cole's & $tonecold's Cam Testing