Sponsored by:

WHIM instead of amp/speaker upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:57 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by RCUltra
There are 3 options. Music/Media, Communications and Prompts. Communications seems to be phone and intercom, so it looks like you can listen to the radio through the speaker and set phone/intercom to headset. That's how I have mine set but just installed the WHIM and haven't played with it yet.
oh good, mine is going in tomorrow

Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
Since an amp and speakers can get pricey and I want to have Bluetooth, I am thinking of installing the WHIM and just using helmet speakers. I am wondering about the quality of the sound through the Bluetooth though. I am not an audiophile, so I'm not going to be highly critical, I just want good sound. Hoping I can achieve this with just WHIM.

What do the experts say?
"Quality of the Sound":

I'm not an expert. I installed the WHIM/Sena HD headset into a Shoei full face/2017 RG Special two months ago. Since then I've put about 1700 highway mile on it.

As noted above, the quality of the sound will vary - it sounds good when not underway. At highway speeds the bottom is masked by ambient road/wind noise. It would be great if the headset came with essentially a graphic equalizer allowing different frequency bands to be set - but really, given the small speakers I'm not sure you'd get the bass boost necessary even with that. My Sena/HD headset sounds 'tinny' at highway speeds.

That said, in cold weather we use FF helmets, and my buddies have their (external) speakers blaring - their sound quality is considerably less than what I'm getting through the helmet headset, so on the whole I'm not convinced you're going to do much better.

Probably closer to ideal in terms of sound quality might be a set of noise-cancelling headphones bluetoothed to your transmitter, but highway noise is going to be a challenge under almost any conditions.

Just my experience with the WHIM/Sena headset install.

YMMV.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:38 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I’m pretty sure they knock the bass down when the engine starts. The reasoning is that you’ll be cranking the volume while going down the road. If you did that with full rich bass, you’d blow the crappy stock speakers. I blew a set on my SGS.

Dealer says I’m nuts, but I can hear a distinct difference in bass after I start the engine.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:16 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I was going to add the WHIM, but decided against it. I already have a Sena 20s and know I would need the HD branded Sena for stereo quality.

I have an ultra.....so, I actually tried something. I bought the law abiding biker plugged/wired in set and mine sound GREEEEAT at speed. Ive used my Sena 20s for a couple of years and those speakers sound so dang tiny for some reason. I can barely hear them.

I may add the WHIM later, but for now, I don't mind the old fashioned plugged in version. It doesn't bother me and I only use it for touring

Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

I think I will start with the HARLEY branded SENA, this will allow me to hear music from my phone, navigation and calls. I can add the WHIM later.
Going to buy a pair of them, so I can communicate with the GF while riding. I know, I know, probably a big mistake. Maybe there's a way I can put it on IGNORE.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:17 PM
RCUltra
Cruiser

The headsets won’t work without the WHIM.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

The headsets won’t work without the WHIM.
They will with your phone, I think.
For example, you buy a new SENA and pair it with your phone and other riders. The WHIM is just for communicating with the Harley stereo.
Do I have this right?

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

That’s right. You won’t be able to get nav prompts or calls through the bike radio. The headsets won’t communicate headset to headset. Com between the driver and passenger happens in the radio.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

That’s right. You won’t be able to get nav prompts or calls through the bike radio. The headsets won’t communicate headset to headset. Com between the driver and passenger happens in the radio.
If you buy a double pack of SENAs you could still talk to another rider or passenger, right?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 AM
RCUltra
Cruiser

You can with the non HD Sena’s. It would t surprise me if the HD branded ones are set up to only pair with the WHIM. I haven’t tried pairing them together, just with the WHIM.

Quick Reply: WHIM instead of amp/speaker upgrade?