Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:50 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
So what's different then the first 3 motors? Your motor is a case redesign? If it truly fixes the sumping wonder if it also fixes the transfer, if so I hope they put this motor in all the '19s going forward. If so.. I'll be in the market...
I don't have a clue what is different about engine #4 compared to engine #s 1, 2, or 3. Neither does the dealer since this factory-built 117 Stage IV crate engine came already assembled at the factory with EVERYTHING installed except the AC. In fact it still had gas in the fuel line, so it was clearly run on an engine dyno before they overnighted it to the dealer. I give both the MoCo and the dealer enormous credit for a remarkable turnaround in building and installing this new engine. If they deserve sh*t when they screw up, they also deserve credit when they provide exceptional service. But I really don't even know what cam is inside this engine although the highest probability is the SE515. But given the low end performance, it sure feels different from the earlier three motors with an SE515 cam.

Unfortunately it may be awhile before we find out what has changed inside this new engine case # since I truly hope my engine isn't disassembled for MANY years and hopefully NEVER or at least as long as I own it..

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-27-2018 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Heatwave:
Bumpandrun (05-27-2018), Eccool (06-17-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 04:51 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

My build date was January 2018 and I have a 19 case number, Trans case is 18.

Last edited by tbob; 05-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:59 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,769 Likes on 2,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I don't have a clue what is different about engine #4 compared to engine #s 1, 2, or 3. Neither does the dealer since this factory-built 117 Stage IV crate engine came already assembled at the factory with EVERYTHING installed except the AC. In fact it still had gas in the fuel line, so it was clearly run on an engine dyno before they overnighted it to the dealer. I give both the MoCo and the dealer enormous credit for a remarkable turnaround in building and installing this new engine. If the deserve sh*t when they screw up they also deserve credit when they provide exceptional service. But I really don't even know what cam is inside this engine although the highest probability is the SE515. But given the low end performance, it sure feels different from the earlier three motors with an SE515 cam.

Unfortunately it may be awhile before we find out what has changed inside this new engine case # since I truly hope my engine isn't disassembled for MANY years and hopefully NEVER or at least as long as I own it..
Take one for the team and lets get it out and apart for all to see

Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

I don't have a clue what is different about engine #4 compared to engine #s 1, 2, or 3. Neither does the dealer since this factory-built 117 Stage IV crate engine came already assembled at the factory with EVERYTHING installed except the AC. In fact it still had gas in the fuel line, so it was clearly run on an engine dyno before they overnighted it to the dealer. I give both the MoCo and the dealer enormous credit for a remarkable turnaround in building and installing this new engine. If they deserve sh*t when they screw up they also deserve credit when they provide exceptional service. But I really don't even know what cam is inside this engine although the highest probability is the SE515. But given the low end performance, it sure feels different from the earlier three motors with an SE515 cam.

I'm glad they took care of you. Hopefully somehow we will end up knowing if the 19 bikes have these issues resolved once and for all...

Old 05-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Take one for the team and lets get it out and apart for all to see
Uhhhhh, I think I already took FOUR for the team and earned my Harley-Davidson R&D merit badge at the same time!!!! Time for another "TEAM" member to step up!!

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Maybe the new motor has an SnS pump in it?
It would if it was mine......warrantee or not. So patient I am not

Old 05-27-2018, 05:14 PM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you had a great trip ! Side note a huge thank you to all who have or are serving our country 🇱🇷

Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
G'day
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

this factory-built 117 Stage IV crate engine came already assembled at the factory with EVERYTHING installed except the AC. In fact it still had gas in the fuel line, so it was clearly run on an engine dyno before they overnighted it to the dealer.
I am very happy for you and for all of us that may be a fix. Keep us posted after your ride up the mountain.

Now to some speculations... I wonder if HD fixed the sumping issue on all 117ci Stage 4 motors OR did they put 10 motors on the dyno and sent the one that didn’t sump? Even if that is what happened, I think it is positive. HD might know how to bench test a motor and figure out which motor will sump and which will not. Of course, I hope that this issue is well and truly fixed, and happy customers will start positing here over the next few months. As the production ramps up for 2019 model year bikes.

Unfortunately it may be awhile before we find out what has changed inside this new engine case #
I hope you will never have to open up your motor. Ride and enjoy! Lesser person would have switched brand by now.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:40 PM
nykn72
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Appreciate the picture of the code location ... just checked mine and thankfully it has a 19 !!!

Old 05-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Heatwave

Originally Posted by nykn72
Appreciate the picture of the code location ... just checked mine and thankfully it has a 19 !!!
I need to share that some knowledgable guys over on CVOHarley do NOT believe the first 2 #s in the code on the lower right side of the engine is a model year designation. They say that the model yr is an alpha designation, not numeric.

Of greater importance IMO is whether the product code stamped on the bottom of the engine case is the same as the engine case part # from 2017? If the design issue is related to the cases, the only sure way to know sumping has been repaired is with a new design case. And the only way to have a “ new” design engine case is if it is different feom the 2017 & 2018 case part # for your specific model engine.

Last edited by Heatwave; 05-27-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Time for the 4th engine in my 2017 CVO Limited... here we go again!