Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Milwaukee-Eight 117 Engine failures. Expect low resale values for the 2018 CVO's

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

OK boys, time for everyone to put your tater diggers back in your pants and cool off. This contest is about to wear me out. Lets move on now. Everybody is friends.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
OK boys, time for everyone to put your tater diggers back in your pants and cool off. This contest is about to wear me out. Lets move on now. Everybody is friends.
there’s no unfriendliness. Just a healthy educational convo. No need to move on.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Couldn’t agree more. Much more informative when we stick to the thread topic and avoid the personal vitriol.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:00 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
No one said staying at 4500 RPM. However, pull out to pass two logging trucks and you should be able to run up over 5000 RPM to safely pass, then go back to cruising at 2700 rpm.

No one has said run down the interstate at 4500 RPM. However, you will go well above that pulling out to pass a couple of Trucks on a two lane road. You may do it down shifting while going down a mountain grade to slow the bike and not heat the brakes up. You may do that accelerating to freeway speed.

Do you ride? Nearly double the rpm at 4500???? so you think under 55 mph is okay on the interstate? Head out west with the 80 and 85 mph speed limits. You will be at 3000 RPM or you will be run over. 3000 RPM is 80 mph in 6th. Running 80, and pull out to pass you will be over 4500 RPM.

I have run Tank to Tank more than once out west with Cruise on 90 MPH, and was being passed by most cars, That is over 3000 rpm. Never worried about my Twin Cams doing that. Not so sure on the M8

Yes I know there are many people who never run their Harley over 55 mph. They accelerate slower than most cars. Describes much of HOG Pretty much run 5 to 10 under no matter where they are riding. I try to run 5 over, so I do not get run over and can stay with the flow of traffic. Safer that way.
This guy gets it. I suspect I know where out west you are referring to. Wyoming and Montana are full of roads like this where logging trucks and coal haulers are traveling up significant grades at 80mph. Been there many times and what he says is true. You pull out to pass you will be down shifting to pull those grades at speeds of 80 plus or you get pressure from behind.

4500 for a minute at high loads, that's expected and a reasonable demand under the conditions above. And a perfect recipe for sumping.

I will be there in August and I will be putting my 120 M8 through those conditions. I have the Feuling pump so it'l be a good ttest. I expect it will haul much *** without sumping.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (06-21-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,788 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Nope, never said heat soaked is the same as “an engine coming up to temp”. I said heat soaked is when the engine has transferred enough of its own heat to surrounding components that it reaches equilibrium. The engine and all surrounding components have reached their max operating temps for the given air temp. Its different from a water-cooled engine that sheds heat through liquid and a radiator.

In other words the engine is now at its max temp because the components can no longer absorb any more heat from the engine. Its my view that “heat soak” takes about an hour of operation. Thats also the point I experienced sumping in my engines. You can use the info or ignore it. Makes no difference to me.

Umm ok. Heat soaked does NOT equal Operating Temp. They are not the same thing. Again, Heat soaked is not something you want. It's about being OVER standard operating temp.
How that happens, well there is a list and it's different per the design/type of engine. Not every vehicle/engine reaches "Heat Soak" nor "Max Operating temp"., but all will at some point reach Operating Temp. It's a range you know.

Over on the forum of my other passion, the STI forums, the term Heat soaked is used a lot and we're always talking of ways to combat it.
We never say, I'm waiting for my engine to come up to Heat soaked. Instead it's a bad word that means your intercooler cannot keep up with the demand....

So.... back to RinTin's use of the term... he was using it in the typical and common context that you have run the bike harder and faster than it can shed the heat and therefore the engine is stressed.
What happens after the engine is heat stressed? Maybe sumping happens, dunno. I do know the engine should never sump regardless. (olive branch).

For the record, I already had all the power to either use your info or ignore it. Does that make a difference? Nah, it doesn't, but I enjoy the flow of opinions etc. Entertainment.

Last edited by lp; 06-19-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear

there’s no unfriendliness. Just a healthy educational convo. No need to move on.
It IS time to move on. There's no education here in this thread. Just a bunch of posters that think they are engineers and mechanics of Harley Davidson motorcycles. What a CROC!
To the participants in this little argument, you sound like a bunch of 3rd graders arguing and going back and forth....Childish as hell!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:29 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOV5
It IS time to move on. There's no education here in this thread. Just a bunch of posters that think they are engineers and mechanics of Harley Davidson motorcycles. What a CROC!
To the participants in this little argument, you sound like a bunch of 3rd graders arguing and going back and forth....Childish as hell!
Relax pal. We're just talking. It's entertainment. Sorry if that doesn't educate you. It's not our job....

Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Go talk to any of the guys that do dyno tuning of air-cooled motorcycles and maybe you can learn something about bikes being heat-soaked. Sounds like some of you have alot to learn when it comes to the bikes you ride and what it means when your bike is heat-soaked. Not relevent to me that you don’t get it. For the guys experiencing sumping, think back to the time you first felt the loss of power. My description of heat-soaking will likely fit the description of when your bike sumped.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Relax pal. We're just talking. It's entertainment. Sorry if that doesn't educate you. It's not our job....
AS I said, There isn't any education here! And they DO sound like 3rd graders! So don't YOu get mixed up in this or you'll sound like a 3rd grader too. Us Charleston guys are better than that.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Go talk to any of the guys that do dyno tuning of air-cooled motorcycles and maybe you can learn something about bikes being heat-soaked. Sounds like some of you have alot to learn when it comes to the bikes you ride and what it means when your bike is heat-soaked. Not relevent to me that you don’t get it. For the guys experiencing sumping, think back to the time you first felt the loss of power. My description of heat-soaking will likely fit the description of when your bike sumped.

They Heat soak the engine to tune it. It means tuning the engine where it's at it's hottest (to combat pinging etc). Common, but still doesn't change the fact that most engines do not operate "Heat soaked"....

I still don't feel like you're "learning" us anything. I don't know if that is relevant.

Originally Posted by GOV5
Us Charleston guys are better than that.
No I'm not!

Last edited by lp; 06-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Milwaukee-Eight 117 Engine failures. Expect low resale values for the 2018 CVO's