Sponsored by:

Any truth to this oil migration rumor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM
STRADALE
Cruiser
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Ok, so find me 12 other HD forums, and run polls on all of them. Average them all together and let me know how that works. Mic drop.
LoL! 👍 Actually all of those 13 national polls were from one tenth of a point (.10) to the highest of 4 points off & the one at 4 points off actually had Trump winning the popular vote by 2 points, so take anyone of the polls & they’ll all be within that small margin of error. Here’s your mic back, go! Wait think you’re unplugged. lol!

The following users liked this post:
BTLorys (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:08 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Old 06-14-2018, 04:50 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

I was discussing this with a friend that owns a shop yesterday. He said that industry wide the transfer issue is not known. If you mention it to vendors and dealers they have no idea what you’re talking about.

As far as most bike owners knowing they have the problem, like he said, they don’t even check their tire pressure. Most are not going to check the transmission fluid level. I wouldn’t have known I had the problem except for the “who’s been having to add transmission fluid “ thread. As far as I was concerned transmission fluid was something that didn’t need to be worried about unless you could see it on the floor. So what I‘m getting at is on this subject a poll is not going to reflect the actual scope of the problem if you’re depending on Harley owners to know what is happening with their machine, especially something like transferring. Sumping manifests itself in a way that the rider is aware something is wrong. Most of the time transfer does not.

The following 3 users liked this post by $tonecold:
103Eagle (06-15-2018), STRADALE (06-15-2018), VDeuce (06-14-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Polls on this forum mean zip. There are thousands of M8 owners that never come to these forums. This tells us percentages based on forum membership that actually participate in the poll, which is a very small piece of the whole.

Riiiiiiiiight. Tell us more, Mister Wizard.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I suspect someday there will be a post about a 17 M8 with cable clutch transferring. I just feel it in my bones,.
I'd put money on that not occuring..

Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 PM
ddecdoc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I'd still like to see the stats on these reported transfer issues. It's a matter of numbers. Out of X number of bikes sold, how many are documented to have the transfer issue? I know at least 8 RG/SG M8 owners who I ride with who, like myself, haven't had any issues with their bikes. Zero. I'm currently @ 6500 miles and with the last transmission fluid change @ 1K, have had minimal loss of transmission fluid. Not enough to add. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing to see here.

I just think the guys that really do have these problems are the most vocal, and rightfully so. But I would also venture a guess that a small percentage of the whole really have a problem that needs attention to get corrected. If only we could see numbers.
I just learned of this issue and have 23k on my 17 SG. When i asked my buddy who works at a dealership why my primary was over-filled and my engine oil level was low, he replied with "you have two issues, both which need to be looked at asap". turns out not only do I have the trans fluid migrating to the primary, my engine oil is not returning to the sump. If it hadn't been for the horrendous noise from the valve cover area I wouldn't have known. My bike has no oil leaks, used no oil in between oil changes, and is serviced every 5k miles. Fresh oil in all 3 holes each time. I can hardly wait to see what they find.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:27 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,166 Likes on 3,522 Posts

Originally Posted by ddecdoc
I just learned of this issue and have 23k on my 17 SG. When i asked my buddy who works at a dealership why my primary was over-filled and my engine oil level was low, he replied with "you have two issues, both which need to be looked at asap". turns out not only do I have the trans fluid migrating to the primary, my engine oil is not returning to the sump. If it hadn't been for the horrendous noise from the valve cover area I wouldn't have known. My bike has no oil leaks, used no oil in between oil changes, and is serviced every 5k miles. Fresh oil in all 3 holes each time. I can hardly wait to see what they find.
There's been many more posts on these subjects since this thread was started, and MoCo has implemented some fixes. I recommend browsing the forums to get up to speed.

As a side note: I now have 16K miles on my bike and still don't have either issue.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM
Clutched
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Reading all the reports an negative comments on oil transfer I have Checked my Transmission level more on my 18 Road Glide Special More Than any other HD I have Owned,I have Had it 2yrs End of Sept,It has 5300 miles an knock on wood no Transfer Issues,I have to say This 107 is the best Harley Eng. I have owned an it sure dose help when its in a Road Glide.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM
Nerosync
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutched
Reading all the reports an negative comments on oil transfer I have Checked my Transmission level more on my 18 Road Glide Special More Than any other HD I have Owned,I have Had it 2yrs End of Sept,It has 5300 miles an knock on wood no Transfer Issues,I have to say This 107 is the best Harley Eng. I have owned an it sure dose help when its in a Road Glide.
Same here. Reading all these forums has definitely made me a nervous nancy with this M8 as well. Been checking fluid levels and crossing my fingers I will be one of the lucky ones. So far so good, no movement on the trans or oil fluids and signs of sumping while being pushed pretty hard a few times on the highway and longer distance rides during temps between 80-95 here in MI.

Bike goes in tonight for its 1k service so hopefully I get it back with nothing to report and a free pass to let her rip this weekend while the kids are gone camping.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:39 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

No..........
I just traded a 2017 FLTRXS for a 2018 FLHTCU so I could
give the dealer another $4500 bucks instead of having to
fool with a problem that wasn't real.

And THEN; I imagined another Transfer problem with the '18, so
I considered getting rid of the '18 for a new 2016 FLHTCU.

Then I gave a forum member here a couple hundred bucks for a repair
kit I probably didn't need.

(as the service manager told me; perhaps I forgot to put oil in the Trans)..........

Last edited by not a sock; 08-13-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Any truth to this oil migration rumor?