Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Any truth to this oil migration rumor? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1238159-any-truth-to-this-oil-migration-rumor.html)

Falcon195 06-12-2018 02:03 AM

Any truth to this oil migration rumor?

I have been reading the posts about the oil migration issue with the M8's.
I have also read that the oil migration issue only affects the bikes with hydraulic clutches (touring models) but doesn't affect the new 2018 softails M8's, as they have a manual cable operated clutch.
Is this true or rumor. I would like to know this information, as I am looking at purchasing a new 2018 softail lowrider M8.
Thanks for your time.

PFWiz 06-12-2018 05:14 AM

Nope, you figured it out. It never happened. All the folks claiming it did happen are obviously liars...

Oh, and by the way, the oil sumps, it is the transmission fluid that migrates.... (at least on the small percentage of the bikes that it happens to.)

sheesh...:icon_saywhat:

G'day 06-12-2018 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Falcon195 (Post 17429809)
I have also read that the oil migration issue only affects the bikes with hydraulic clutches (touring models) but doesn't affect the new 2018 softails M8's, as they have a manual cable operated clutch.
Is this true or rumor. I would like to know this information, as I am looking at purchasing a new 2018 softail lowrider M8.

I read somewhere here that ALL M8 engines are affected by the migration issue. Even a bone stock 114ci M8 with no Stage kit upgrades.

I am waiting to see if MY2019 is fixed or not. HD Dealer announcement is scheduled for late August in San Diego. MY2019 bikes will hit the showroom in September. By the end of the year, we will know if anyone anyone is still experiencing issues or not. If it is still happening, I will wait another year.

SWThomas 06-12-2018 06:36 AM

Not true for me. Mine hasn’t migrated an ounce of oil in 14k miles.

$tonecold 06-12-2018 06:37 AM

Thanks for your time.

The oil migration issue or transfer does not seem to affect models that have the cable actuated clutch. Don’t know if it is the slinger on the pushrod or just that the side cover is open to the main body of the transmission, but the cable models don’t have the problem. The cable actuation is the same as what has been used by Harley for more than three decades, so it is a proven system.

All M8 models have been known to sump oil which means oil collects in the crankcase and is not returned to the oil reservoir. This can destroy an engine. There is some rumor that the MOCO has redesigned the engine cases for 2019 to alleviate the problem. If that is so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a class action suit by the purchasers of the 2017-18 models to get the MOCO to update the cases on those machines.

QNman 06-12-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by $tonecold (Post 17430054)
There is some rumor that the MOCO has redesigned the engine cases for 2019 to alleviate the problem. If that is so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a class action suit by the purchasers of the 2017-18 models to get the MOCO to update the cases on those machines.

Now that is interesting....

torchmaster 06-12-2018 10:50 AM

There is some rumor that the MOCO has redesigned the engine cases for 2019 to alleviate the problem. If that is so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a class action suit by the purchasers of the 2017-18 models to get the MOCO to update the cases on those machines.

Well if this is true and it actually happened it could be a financial nightmare for the moco. It would mean replacing cases on all 17&18 M8 bikes. Could be hundreds of million of dollars.
And I'm not so sure I would want dealer tech's tearing my motor apart. I'm sure there are some very good ones but in my area they are rare, certainly none at my selling dealer.

Keithhu 06-12-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by torchmaster (Post 17430644)
Well if this is true and it actually happened it could be a financial nightmare for the moco. It would mean replacing cases on all 17&18 M8 bikes. Could be hundreds of million of dollars.
And I'm not so sure I would want dealer tech's tearing my motor apart. I'm sure there are some very good ones but in my area they are rare, certainly none at my selling dealer.

Yall are dreaming. Wake up people! There will be no product program to replace cases, period. What planet are you people living on? Did they offer free upgrades to the hydraulic tensioners? No (and I would argue it was a more pervasive problem). Compensators? No. (again, probably more pervasive than sumping)

strych9 06-12-2018 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 17430710)
Yall are dreaming. Wake up people! There will be no product program to replace cases, period. What planet are you people living on? Did they offer free upgrades to the hydraulic tensioners? No (and I would argue it was a more pervasive problem). Compensators? No. (again, probably more pervasive than sumping)

Agreed. It simply doesn't work that way.

Falcon195 06-12-2018 12:45 PM

Well due to all the information I have been reading here on this issue I have decided not to purchase the 2018 softail. It's too bad as the dealer just received the bike from Harley today and I was going to use my $1,500 off coupon to purchase the bike.
I just can't pull the trigger with these issues in mind.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts, you may have saved me some headaches.

teedoff65 06-12-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon195 (Post 17430867)
Well due to all the information I have been reading here on this issue I have decided not to purchase the 2018 softail. It's too bad as the dealer just received the bike from Harley today and I was going to use my $1,500 of coupon to purchase the bike.
I just can't pull the trigger with these issues in mind.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts, you may have saved me some headaches.

Odds are you probably lost out on a very enjoyable new bike because of a small percentage of reports on a forum....

Falcon195 06-12-2018 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by teedoff65 (Post 17430898)
Odds are you probably lost out on a very enjoyable new bike because of a small percentage of reports on a forum....

You know you might be correct, but i just couldn't take that chance.

QNman 06-12-2018 02:00 PM

From what I understand and have read here, I've yet to hear of a single instance of an M8 Softail transferring; only touring bikes with hydraulic clutches are transferring.

ole_phart 06-12-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Falcon195 (Post 17430921)
You know you might be correct, but i just couldn't take that chance.

Sorry to hear that but you’ve got to do what feels right for you. I’m loving my ‘18 FXLR, no regrets and not looking back.

lh4x4 06-12-2018 07:32 PM

I suspect someday there will be a post about a 17 M8 with cable clutch transferring. I just feel it in my bones,.

HD_fan 06-12-2018 07:44 PM

Not true for me. Mine hasn’t migrated an ounce of oil in 14k miles.
Same here and ride this bike hard every single time I take it out. almost 7k miles for me. I use redline trans oil and that pink stuff is EASY to see.

Cbyway 06-12-2018 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by HD_fan
Same here and ride this bike hard every single time I take it out. almost 7k miles for me. I use redline trans oil and that pink stuff is EASY to see.

Me either. 11k miles in 9 months. Changed fluids at 10k. Checked earlier. Levels haven't changed. I think I love this bike more than Badcookie loves his. If that's possible:icon_laugh:

jpooch00 06-13-2018 07:47 AM

The oil migration issue or transfer does not seem to affect models that have the cable actuated clutch. Don’t know if it is the slinger on the pushrod or just that the side cover is open to the main body of the transmission, but the cable models don’t have the problem. The cable actuation is the same as what has been used by Harley for more than three decades, so it is a proven system.

All M8 models have been known to sump oil which means oil collects in the crankcase and is not returned to the oil reservoir. This can destroy an engine. There is some rumor that the MOCO has redesigned the engine cases for 2019 to alleviate the problem. If that is so it wouldn’t surprise me to see a class action suit by the purchasers of the 2017-18 models to get the MOCO to update the cases on those machines.

Personally, I'm surprised that a class action suit hasn't already been started. It's only a matter of time till folks get fed up with the MoCo's BS and go after 'em, IMO.

Two, going on three, MY's in and still no closer to fixing the problems than they were when they started. People won't put up with that crap forever.

Massive lemon law suits and the resulting buybacks might get their attention, too.

Keithhu 06-13-2018 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jpooch00 (Post 17432742)
Massive lemon law suits and the resulting buybacks might get their attention, too.

Very few states where lemon laws cover motor sports.

There will be no class action law suite, yall are smoking an enormous Turkish hookah.

Rickr01 06-13-2018 07:58 AM

My 2018 Softail Slim, although a completely different style of bike than my Street Glide, has one of the best, smoothest and most powerful motor right out of the box that I've ever owned . I've been riding Harleys for 40 + years and this is without a doubt the best motor to date.

BrandonSmith 06-13-2018 08:21 AM

No truth to it at all. I was telling the dealership about the first time it happened and they told me I was crazy. The second and third time it happened, I began to question myself, and the dealership told me it was all in my head. I mean, really, I remember checking the level before leaving in the morning, riding all day, and then checking it again the next morning.

Had I really siphoned transmission fluid and put it in the primary in my sleep? Or while riding the day prior? All without tools? I've got an appointment with a shrink tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it was possible for me to do that without remembering, then we can really start to get closer to a real answer to your question. Or maybe someone came by in the still of the night and siphoned the fluid from transmission and placed it in the primary as part of some cruel joke... IDK!

BrandonSmith 06-13-2018 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 17432765)

There will be no class action law suite, yall are smoking an enormous Turkish hookah.

Federal law supersedes any state law. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a Federal lemon law which applies to all consumer products, including automobile, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, and all other ordinary consumer products including computers and household appliances.

Tony P 06-13-2018 08:38 AM

The nice thing about having a warranty and a second bike - you don't care as much about failure. You just ride and enjoy.

jpooch00 06-13-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Keithhu (Post 17432765)

I'm sure that the lowlifes at the MoCo are fervently praying that you're right.

Continuing sales of a product with known and documented defects and no fix in sight after going on three model years shouldn't be ignored or tolerated. Surely they can't be allowed to keep getting away with that crap scott-free forever.

strych9 06-13-2018 09:37 AM

I'd still like to see the stats on these reported transfer issues. It's a matter of numbers. Out of X number of bikes sold, how many are documented to have the transfer issue? I know at least 8 RG/SG M8 owners who I ride with who, like myself, haven't had any issues with their bikes. Zero. I'm currently @ 6500 miles and with the last transmission fluid change @ 1K, have had minimal loss of transmission fluid. Not enough to add. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing to see here.

I just think the guys that really do have these problems are the most vocal, and rightfully so. But I would also venture a guess that a small percentage of the whole really have a problem that needs attention to get corrected. If only we could see numbers.

Tony P 06-13-2018 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 17433001)
I'd still like to see the stats on these reported transfer issues. It's a matter of numbers. Out of X number of bikes sold, how many are documented to have the transfer issue? I know at least 8 RG/SG M8 owners who I ride with who, like myself, haven't had any issues with their bikes. Zero. I'm currently @ 6500 miles and with the last transmission fluid change @ 1K, have had minimal loss of transmission fluid. Not enough to add. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing to see here.

I just think the guys that really do have these problems are the most vocal, and rightfully so. But I would also venture a guess that a small percentage of the whole really have a problem that needs attention to get corrected. If only we could see numbers.

I heard around 12%, which is still too much, but not the doom and gloom we are subjected to on the forum.

FatBob2018 06-13-2018 12:13 PM

Thanks for your time.

Only Harley knows the true truth. We only know what the members here have reported. So, as a summary:

I don't believe there's been a single report on this forum from any Softail M8 owner claiming oil transfer. I don't follow other forums so I don't know if someone else has reported it, but I don't think any Softail owner here on this forum has reported it.

Takedown 06-13-2018 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tony P (Post 17433251)
I heard around 12%, which is still too much, but not the doom and gloom we are subjected to on the forum.

If it truly is 12% that is pretty dang bad! I understand that a lot of people have M8's with zero problems, but how many of those were purchased prior to the issues being known? I wonder how many of those would do it again knowing there was a 12% chance their bike would have problems. It's certainly not hard to understand why a lot of people would pause or even refuse to drop 20k+ on a bike with the current issues.

strych9 06-13-2018 02:41 PM

If 12%, then a free MoCo repair campaign (factory warranty extension) would absolutely be justified. 5% would be a reasonable number. 12% isn't, but how accurate is it?

QNman 06-13-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 17433762)
If 12%, then a free MoCo repair campaign (factory warranty extension) would absolutely be justified. 5% would be a reasonable number. 12% isn't, but how accurate is it?

It's on the internet... must be factual. 112% of what you read on the internet is factual. The other 89% is made up.

Another Old Timer 06-13-2018 02:53 PM

The '18 Softail engines 107 and 114 do not seem to have oil related issues. Ridged mounted with dual gear driven counter balancers and cable actuated clutches. Fantastic bikes.

STRADALE 06-13-2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 17433001)

This poll doesn’t differentiate between sumping & transfer & small sample set compared to bikes sold but worthy data imo.

The higher % of these 2 issues in the 17 bikes makes me wonder if that means the more miles, the more likely these issues will arise.

But at almost 20% (avg. both years) & 28% of 2017’s affected & 16% of 2018’s and w/ the likelihood some or many don’t realize they have transfer, it’s significant.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...samredpva.jpeg

strych9 06-14-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by STRADALE (Post 17434061)

This poll doesn’t differentiate between sumping & transfer & small sample set compared to bikes sold but worthy data imo.

The higher % of these 2 issues in the 17 bikes makes me wonder if that means the more miles, the more likely these issues will arise.

But at almost 20% (avg. both years) & 28% of 2017’s affected & 16% of 2018’s and w/ the likelihood some or many don’t realize they have transfer, it’s significant.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...samredpva.jpeg

Polls on this forum mean zip. There are thousands of M8 owners that never come to these forums. This tells us percentages based on forum membership that actually participate in the poll, which is a very small piece of the whole.

STRADALE 06-14-2018 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 17435368)
Polls on this forum mean zip. There are thousands of M8 owners that never come to these forums. This tells us percentages based on forum membership that actually participate in the poll, which is a very small piece of the whole.

That’s like saying you have to poll every single voter to get an accurate idea of who’s winning a political race.

Not just thousands but a couple of hundred thousand M8 owners never come to this forum actually but that’s pretty much how ALL statistical polls work, as a “small sample of the whole”.

Forum members bikes are exactly the same as non forum members bikes, whether you visit a forum or not is irrelevant. Can you say that the % is exact? No, but it’s better than just guessing or on a feeling. Like I said it’s just worthy data.

Even Harley couldn’t give a precise #/%. How many M8 owners have no clue that their bike is transferring fluid, my guess is that # is pretty high as the number of people these days that buy a new bike & just let their dealer handle all things maintenance related including checking transmission & primary fluid levels is much higher than the people who are actually aware of the issue and know how to check.

strych9 06-14-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by STRADALE (Post 17435497)

That’s like saying you have to poll every single voter to get an accurate idea of who’s winning a political race.

Not just thousands but a couple of hundred thousand M8 owners never come to this forum actually but that’s pretty much how ALL statistical polls work, as a “small sample of the whole”.

Forum members bikes are exactly the same as non forum members bikes, whether you visit a forum or not is irrelevant. Can you say that the % is exact? No, but it’s better than just guessing or on a feeling. Like I said it’s just worthy data.

Even Harley couldn’t give a precise #/%. How many M8 owners have no clue that their bike is transferring fluid, my guess is that # is pretty high as the number of people these days that buy a new bike & just let their dealer handle all things maintenance related including checking transmission & primary fluid levels is much higher than the people who are actually aware of the issue and know how to check.

Study statistics and you'll have a better understanding. These polls only show statistics for the members that belong to this forum, which in no way is in proportion with all HD owners. We don't know what that factor of error is, therefore this data is worthless. Furthermore, if you look and see that many of the membership of this forum are small-scale posters, you'll realize they found this forum because they were seeking answers to a problem. Most trouble-free owners that have no interest in HD discussion aren't going to be here to participate in the poll.

I saw the same things in car-enthusiast forums. When I had late-model mustangs I saw polls like these. The only difference was that I worked for Ford and had access to real warranty data and the forum polls were ALWAYS wrong to the negative side, by a huge margin. It was laughable, and these polls are for entertainment purposes only. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly misinformed.

Fatarrow 06-14-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by QNman (Post 17433780)
It's on the internet... must be factual. 112% of what you read on the internet is factual. The other 89% is made up.

:icon_lolsign:

STRADALE 06-14-2018 10:27 AM

Do people often visit a forum once they have a problem? Sure but I wonder how many people were unaware of the issues like transferring, visit the forum, check their bike & then realize they have the problem. Whether you visit the forum or not doesn’t change the statistics of how many bikes are transferring, only that of how many people become aware of the problem.

But the more noise people make the better imo, the MoCo has a responsibility to make things right for current owners & to make changes if they hope to keep selling these bikes. I’m hearing more & more about people like myself who would like an M8 but are waiting till this gets sorted. Hopefully they are working on a solution right now, whether it be new cases or whatever, will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months w/ the 2019’s.

QNman 06-14-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by STRADALE (Post 17435543)
Do people often visit a forum once they have a problem? Sure but I wonder how many people were unaware of the issues like transferring, visit the forum, check their bike & then realize they have the problem. Whether you visit the forum or not doesn’t change the statistics of how many bikes are transferring, only that of how many people become aware of the problem.

But the more noise people make the better imo, the MoCo has a responsibility to make things right for current owners & to make changes if they hope to keep selling these bikes. I’m hearing more & more about people like myself who would like an M8 but are waiting till this gets sorted. Hopefully they are working on a solution right now, whether it be new cases or whatever, will be interesting to see what happens in a couple of months w/ the 2019’s.

Dude... 116 folks on a single internet forum are not viable statistics. I took statistics in college... this poll is as worthless as polling Bill O'Reilly's audience on a political question.

STRADALE 06-14-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 17435526)
Study statistics and you'll have a better understanding. These polls only show statistics for the members that belong to this forum, which in no way is in proportion with all HD owners. We don't know what that factor of error is, therefore this data is worthless. Furthermore, if you look and see that many of the membership of this forum are small-scale posters, you'll realize they found this forum because they were seeking answers to a problem. Most trouble-free owners that have no interest in HD discussion aren't going to be here to participate in the poll.

I saw the same things in car-enthusiast forums. When I had late-model mustangs I saw polls like these. The only difference was that I worked for Ford and had access to real warranty data and the forum polls were ALWAYS wrong to the negative side, by a huge margin. It was laughable, and these polls are for entertainment purposes only. Anyone who thinks otherwise is sadly misinformed.

I have a Bachelor of Science Degree, majored in Political Science (statistics) prior to Law School where I continued studies in statistical polling so I’ve already ‘studied statistics’, where did you study statistics?

It’s called the margin or error not factor but the margin or error is never completely accurate, let’s say it’s within the norm of +/- 5%, still a high #/%. Think the poll would be of greater use if the number of participants were higher.

If you think that Harley is putting out bulletins for 1% of bikes, not happening imo. I wouldn’t bet the farm on the poll but it’s not “worthless” either, in fact it’s pretty close to the number I keep hearing about. But to say it’s absolutely wrong without knowing if that’s true or what the %’s actually are I think is pure speculation on your part. What the true % is I really don’t know, no one does.

strych9 06-14-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by STRADALE (Post 17435543)

All I'm saying is that these polls in no way are an accurate depiction of the percentage of bikes that exhibit the problems. They are over-exaggerated, to say the least.

MoCo DOES hold the responsibility to correct the issues, but here's how that works: Bulletins are issued for tech information when X% of reports have been fielded by the manufacturer. This is simply offering a course of repair for a known issue, for vehicles still within factory warranty. Campaigns are issued to extend factory warranty on a component that has a know history and higher failure rate than deemed normal by the manufacturer. This means that they will cover the component beyond the original factory warranty terms, to whatever extended terms they specify. They will not automatically replace the part unless it fails. Recalls involve having a component inspected and/or replaced regardless of warranty terms. Anything safety-related falls under this category.

The only way the MoCo can be forced to deal with these issues is for owners to take their bikes in and have a warranty claim filed. Many won't do this because the issue isn't big enough yet, and/or they've got some mods they don't want the dealer to see. Therein lies the rub.