Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Fork Fangs

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

There's been some talk about the fangs deflecting wind away from the motor, which can be a concern for an air-cooled engine. Thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-13-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM
JCU Delt Ox
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think that the oil is doing the majority of the cooling, but it's difficult to know. If Harley put a better set of gaues on the Road Kings, I could monitor the engines vitals, but there isn't much to go on with the current cluster. I've got 150 miles to put in today so I'll see how the heat it.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:31 AM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I remove my fangs once temps hit the 90s. It’s a little too uncomfortable for me with fangs at those temps. I would say that it does deflect air away from the engine, as you can feel more of the heat on your legs and grundle region while riding, like the heat is rising rather than being carried backward by a stream of air.

what part of Ohio you from OP? I’m originally from the Toledo area.

The following users liked this post:
psyshack (07-11-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 AM
JCU Delt Ox
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The bike ran great and the weather was perfect. The only time I noticed my head dancing was when I kicked my feet out to the highway pegs. I'm in Tuscarawas County. I had a conference at Maumee Bay, so I was in your old neck of the woods. Beautiful ride via SR 250-302-350-99-4-2.

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
I remove my fangs once temps hit the 90s. It’s a little too uncomfortable for me with fangs at those temps. I would say that it does deflect air away from the engine, as you can feel more of the heat on your legs and grundle region while riding, like the heat is rising rather than being carried backward by a stream of air.

what part of Ohio you from OP? I’m originally from the Toledo area.

Last edited by JCU Delt Ox; 07-13-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by JCU Delt Ox
I would think that the oil is doing the majority of the cooling, but it's difficult to know. If Harley put a better set of gaues on the Road Kings, I could monitor the engines vitals, but there isn't much to go on with the current cluster. I've got 150 miles to put in today so I'll see how the heat it.
There's a reason it's called an Air/Oil Cooled engine. Even on the newer oil cooled M8s with oil piped into the heads, air cooling does the lion's share of the work. Fork deflectors or anything else that blocks any air flow or traps heat from above the engine will increase engines temps (for instance, shields to protect the rider from rising engine heat). No doubt about it.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM
philly48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the HD ones on my '17 Street Glide and the make a HUGE difference. With them and a 8.5" klockwerks windshield it eliminated all wind buffeting.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 AM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
first thing I took off my 15 RK to put on my 17 RK..it was the one accessory I could not live without..they are the real deal and work that good.
Do they do anything for wind noise, too? I don't really notice it riding, seeing I'm going deaf, but after a long day I feel like I was at the club last night.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed
Do they do anything for wind noise, too? I don't really notice it riding, seeing I'm going deaf, but after a long day I feel like I was at the club last night.
I believe that Fangs (metal lowers) do make for a quieter ride. I wouldn't own a cruiser without them.
Any wind that they divert to prevent buffeting means less wind howling in your ears

Old 09-11-2019, 08:35 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,535 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by philly48
I have the HD ones on my '17 Street Glide and the make a HUGE difference. With them and a 8.5" klockwerks windshield it eliminated all wind buffeting.
Would love to see pics!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/17...wind-deflector

You might want to try this Kuryakyn Triple Tree Wind Deflector. It seems to help on my Road King in combination with the H-D Fangs...and it cleans up the appearance of the lower triple tree.
It also forces cool air down to the engine, to compensate for the air the Fangs keep away from your engine
I wonder how much it does alone, without the fangs

Quick Reply: Road King Fork Fangs