Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Some good advice above. I would be pissed too. No reason a man pays 20plus grand for a touring bike and cant ride the damn thing. I would video it like said above. If that didnt work i would ride the **** out if it and takr it to them when it was doing it. If all if that failed to get a fix i would red line it till it blew then tell them to fix it...i would also be wanting a new motor after i proved to them it was doing it because it done it multiple times before they actually fixed it and damage is already done. Freakin sucks.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mjwebb
sucks big time, but why do you keep taking it on trips? that's crazy...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

"15 times in 3 months this bike has stranded me on the side of the road"
"Sometimes it keeps doing it until the bike rests for an hour or 2. Meanwhile, I'm stuck on the side of the road."
"Every time I take a trip about 2 hours into it I am stranded"
"This happens over and over."
I have to kindly disagree with you on this one mj. The dude has tried to get harley to fix it. Its not his fault he spent 20k on a harley and it wont run and cant seem to get a dealer to fix it. What is he suppose to do just not ride at all cause he got a bike that sumped? Heck no. If they wont fix it ride it till it blows. Yoi and i are lucky. Ours dont sump and actually mine runs prettu good knock on wood so far. But imagine if one or both of your bikes sumped and you couldnt get multiple dealers to fix it leaving you stranded. You would be ill youself. I just have compassion for those thst are going through this because i have been down that road on bikes and trucks before it sucks.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 09-06-2018 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-17-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:16 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,820 Likes on 4,562 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
I have to kindly disagree with you on this one mj. The dude has tried to get harley to fix it. Its not his fault he spent 20k on a harley and it wont run and cant seem to get a dealer to fix it. What is he suppose to do just not ride at all cause he got a bike that sumped? Heck no. If they wont fix it ride it till it blows. Yoi and i are lucky. Ours dont sump and actually mine runs prettu good knock on wood so far. But imagine if one or both of your bikes sumped and you couldnt get multiple dealers to fix it leaving you stranded. You would be ill youself. I just have compassion for those thst are going through this because i have been down that road on bikes and trucks before it sucks.
well you and the OP are much more tolerant to misery than I would be..i mean in 3 months time the number of times I'd be willing to sit on the side of the road for an hour or 2 just to go for a ride, realizing I'd probably get stranded once again, would have been far less than 15

edit: with that being said, after the 4th documented dealer visit (or maybe 2nd or 3rd) I would have called the HD Customer Service department (instead of writing a letter) as instructed in the Warranty portion of the OM, to first go through the proper channels with dealerships to no avail, and opened a Case # with a rep on the line, which they in turn formally and quickly communicate to the dealership it's been assigned (I have experienced this). Depending on the results I would probably say eff em', take it out on a safe road during their business hours and melt it down, call them and say come and get it, it is now really your problem.

Last edited by mjwebb; 09-06-2018 at 12:45 PM.
stixvrad (09-10-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:57 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain

well you and the OP are much more tolerant to misery than I would be..i mean in 3 months time the number of times I'd be willing to sit on the side of the road for an hour or 2 just to go for a ride, realizing I'd probably get stranded once again, would have been far less than 15

edit: with that being said, after the 4th documented dealer visit (or maybe 2nd or 3rd) I would have called the HD Customer Service department (instead of writing a letter) as instructed in the Warranty portion of the OM, to first go through the proper channels with dealerships to no avail, and opened a Case # with a rep on the line, which they in turn formally and quickly communicate to the dealership it's been assigned (I have experienced this). Depending on the results I would probably say eff em', take it out on a safe road during their business hours and melt it down, call them and say come and get it, it is now really your problem.
i see what your saying and cant disagree this time..

Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
What codes are you getting? Easy to do if you have a check engine light.
Sumping does not generate a trouble code. My engines failed from sumping and there was never a warning light or trouble code.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,815 Likes on 3,277 Posts

sucks big time, but why do you keep taking it on trips? that's crazy...doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

"15 times in 3 months this bike has stranded me on the side of the road"
"Sometimes it keeps doing it until the bike rests for an hour or 2. Meanwhile, I'm stuck on the side of the road."
"Every time I take a trip about 2 hours into it I am stranded"
"This happens over and over."
Looks like he takes the same approach with posting - this is the fourth thread he's started about the same problem.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:21 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 557 Posts

OP has no clue what sumping is or how a dry sump system works.
"I have to stop on the side of the road and let the oil drip down back to the pan"

Also, the op is not running a harley stage 1. He has a full V&H system with headpipe while running a canned map with the SEPST. His initial posts were about his bike running hot etc. and I doubt 4 seperate dealers failed to correctly perform the sumping test.
I beleive this is a tune problem. The canned sepst map will not compensate enough for those V&H pipes, leading to a lean condition under load and reduced timing due to detonation ultimately leading to reduced power. Of course there may be other issues like a leaking intake or odd sensor problems.

Billyo... If your reading this. Try talking to your dealer about either getting the autotune module with wideband O2s installed or a dyno tune.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBIG G
OP has no clue what sumping is or how a dry sump system works.
"I have to stop on the side of the road and let the oil drip down back to the pan"

Also, the op is not running a harley stage 1. He has a full V&H system with headpipe while running a canned map with the SEPST. His initial posts were about his bike running hot etc. and I doubt 4 seperate dealers failed to correctly perform the sumping test.
I beleive this is a tune problem. The canned sepst map will not compensate enough for those V&H pipes, leading to a lean condition under load and reduced timing due to detonation ultimately leading to reduced power. Of course there may be other issues like a leaking intake or odd sensor problems.

Billyo... If your reading this. Try talking to your dealer about either getting the autotune module with wideband O2s installed or a dyno tune.
...could be, but I'm not an M8 owner, but what if he pulls over as soon as this symptom starts and shuts it off quickly and checked his oil level? Would it be off of the stick at this point? Wouldn't this tell for sure if it truly was sumping?

MTBIG G (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 11:37 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony_b.
...could be, but I'm not an M8 owner, but what if he pulls over as soon as this symptom starts and shuts it off quickly and checked his oil level? Would it be off of the stick at this point? Wouldn't this tell for sure if it truly was sumping?
Good thought. If it was truly sumping it might not be off the stick, but it would certainly be low. Then after letting it sit for a few minutes he could start it up, let it idle for a minute and check the oil again. There would be no doubt if the oil level comes back up to normal.

I gave him this suggestion in one of his previous threads.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:44 PM
RESQRid3r83
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Street Glide CVO Same issue

Traded my 2014 Street Glide Special In for my 2018 CVO a few weeks ago bike has about 550 miles on it and is having the exact same issues. Has left me on the side of the road and at one dealer already. No power coughing and spitting the whole time. Bike is super hot and smells of fuel and burnt oil, The dealer says nothing is wrong because they havnt got it to sump. I’m over the games paid good money for this so called big bad *** 117 when a sportster can run circles around me. The Stage 2 kit was done at the dealer before I purchased the bike with sac header, rinehart pipes, 550g cam, adjustable push rods and power vision running. They had originally told me that I wasn’t riding the bike how the cam was designed to used, I couldn’t believe that so I took the flash drive to another Harley tuner and couldn’t believe the big drop in the power curve between 1500rpm and 3000rpms. Took the bike on a 60 mile ride from fort Walton beach to Panama City and went through two tanks of gas and barley made it. Limped it in and ended up having to have it towed to the original dealer. Been arguing with the dealer for a week now, was finally able to get a print out of the RO to see what all they had changed and swapped. To my surprise most was documented well except for not doing the heavy duty valve train and the dyno tune was literally an hour and they called it good. When I asked why they chose the 550g over the SE515, I got the answer that person X likes the way that cam pulls in these bikes. Overall I’m not impressed with how the bike performs, rides well, but doesn’t run like a big twin, **** it doesn’t even run like an 883.

Update as if today is that there is now a Tech Bulliten our for possible sumping, but none of the service guys are aware of what the fix or when the parts will be available. I’m almost to the point where I want my 2014 back or considering FL Lemon Law to get a full refund .......

anyone else with these issues? Find a fix yet?

Last edited by RESQRid3r83; 09-08-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Sumping 2018 Road King