Sponsored by:

bummed,think my m8 sumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 04:34 PM
SOSPWND Pistol Pete
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone call? My 2017 is sumping.

Heatwave, any chance I can call you or visa versa? Taking my bike to dealership tomorrow and would like to know how to get to the end result in least amount of time and get your results.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
The 19 engines are redesigned and have larger oil return galley so oil gets out of the crankcase area and back into the pan faster, if I used the correct language...
Well I can only speak for the crank case on 2018 and 2019 softails. I just looked up the part # for the crank case on both the 2018 and 2019's and the part number is the same for both model year crankcase #24400188. So it seems the crankcase is the same for both the 2018 and 2019 softails.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SOSPWND Pistol Pete
Heatwave, any chance I can call you or visa versa? Taking my bike to dealership tomorrow and would like to know how to get to the end result in least amount of time and get your results.

I haven’t seen you on the forum before. How do you know you’re sumping? What bike? More details on why you’re taking the bike in to dealer would be helpful. Others may be able to help in addition to myself if you provide more details to the full forum.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:42 PM
jonuphi
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
Sorry to hear. I had really hoped my multiple sumping experiences were an anomaly. But clearly they were not. Sad to see so many guys added to the M8 engine sumping club. Unfortunately this club will have a growing membership of M8 owners that have no clue until its too late. Many of these M8 owners will be happy campers thinking their M8 is a wonderful engine.... right up to the point that its not!
exactly,i bought a 16 softail 110 se used,stared making weird noises and I thought with all bull crap and not being the right bike for me id cut my losses and move on to the new touring bike so I would know history and maintenance,not to mention its my first brand new bike and im on the downside of fifty,so was a long time coming.Rather disappointing since I wont know if it will happen again since their are repeat offenders and the dealership seems to be dragging their feet ,they seem to think it could be something minor like a gasket or something,im no tech but don't think so,sucks not riding,still bummed

Last edited by jonuphi; 09-16-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2018, 06:54 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneRiderFLH
How do you know this to be a fact?
+1

Especially interested as I am preparing to buy a '19 RGS. This sumping issue is not good, but I take these issues with a grain of salt as far as how widespread they are since we all know that negative experiences get huge air-time on forums...as they should, I suppose. But compared to the number of bikes sold, it's tough to know, I'd imagine it's a fairly small population affected %-wise. Again, I don't know for sure but I try to "remain calm". SO, anything verified like the point around '19's being fixed would be great info!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I might be lucky on the sumping issue. I was running 90mph and a little more at times. I was running that speed for about twenty something minutes heading home from a tour the other day. No sumping issues. Heck I usually run around eighty mph all day. Had a 760 mile day that day I was running 100mph. But I have a big handful of ****ing transferring going on. I've got 24,300 miles on a 17.
Hope you get it figured out. I know I won't be buying a new one any time soon.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:17 PM
SOSPWND Pistol Pete
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave

I haven’t seen you on the forum before. How do you know you’re sumping? What bike? More details on why you’re taking the bike in to dealer would be helpful. Others may be able to help in addition to myself if you provide more details to the full forum.
Of course Heatwave. 2017 Ultra Limited. Current Miles 14,242. purchased with 5,904 miles (April 2018). M8 107 had a stage III kit already installed when purchased. I started typing a novel and deleted it and just thought I would start with what I know now. Engine's throttle response is that of a carbureted engine that is flooding due to lack of air flow because of a plugged air filter (You damn near can't pass a vehicle going up a hill on a four lane highway). Runs really hot (Fan stays running longer than usual when you stop for gas after running 70-75mph) on 60 degree day, Engine smells like something is burning or I just took a rose bud torch to the exhaust and engine casting. I googled the hell out of my issues and this forum popped up. After reading pages and pages of opinions and data offered by members, I pulled the crank position sensor yesterday morning and pulled 2 Qts of oil from that port. Had ol lady run and grab me 2 fresh qts from store, added to engine, ran engine at idle for a few minutes, checked oil level. level good. Rode to a party yesterday. Put on 250-260 miles (roughly 4.5hrs of engine run time total during ride). checked engine oil this am for the fun of it and noticed oil level a little lower than yesterday. For the hell of it I dropped the CPS again. Drained between 10 and 11 ounces of oil (How do I know how much 10-11 ounces are? I poured what came out of CPS port back into Amsoil Qt container and that's where it ended up). I then took that oil and put it back into engine through oil fill port. There's lots more details to this but that's the jist of it all. I do ride aggressive. I am mechanically inclined (USAF B-52H Dedicated Crew Chief-Broke stuff and fixed it). Rode since I was a kid (Broke a lot of s**t). I'm 40 (doesn't mean I'm Smart). Your opinions and knowledge mean something to me. Please help. Sux buying a bike to ride and you either can't ride it like you want to and I shouldn't have to drain oil from CPS every time I go for a ride.

Last edited by SOSPWND Pistol Pete; 09-16-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added year purchased
Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SOSPWND Pistol Pete
Of course Heatwave. 2017 Ultra Limited. Current Miles 14,242. purchased with 5,904 miles (April 2018). M8 107 had a stage III kit already installed when purchased. I started typing a novel and deleted it and just thought I would start with what I know now. Engine's throttle response is that of a carbureted engine that is flooding due to lack of air flow because of a plugged air filter (You damn near can't pass a vehicle going up a hill on a four lane highway). Runs really hot (Fan stays running longer than usual when you stop for gas after running 70-75mph) on 60 degree day, Engine smells like something is burning or I just took a rose bud torch to the exhaust and engine casting. I googled the hell out of my issues and this forum popped up. After reading pages and pages of opinions and data offered by members, I pulled the crank position sensor yesterday morning and pulled 2 Qts of oil from that port. Had ol lady run and grab me 2 fresh qts from store, added to engine, ran engine at idle for a few minutes, checked oil level. level good. Rode to a party yesterday. Put on 250-260 miles (roughly 4.5hrs of engine run time total during ride). checked engine oil this am for the fun of it and noticed oil level a little lower than yesterday. For the hell of it I dropped the CPS again. Drained between 10 and 11 ounces of oil (How do I know how much 10-11 ounces are? I poured what came out of CPS port back into Amsoil Qt container and that's where it ended up). I then took that oil and put it back into engine through oil fill port. There's lots more details to this but that's the jist of it all. I do ride aggressive. I am mechanically inclined (USAF B-52H Dedicated Crew Chief-Broke stuff and fixed it). Rode since I was a kid (Broke a lot of s**t). I'm 40 (doesn't mean I'm Smart). Your opinions and knowledge mean something to me. Please help. Sux buying a bike to ride and you either can't ride it like you want to and I shouldn't have to drain oil from CPS every time I go for a ride.
Thank you for your service. I”m a vet too. Definitely sumping. Who did you buy the bike from? Dealer or private sale? If it was a private sale, my guess is the previous owner knew the bike was sumping and dumped the bike on you for a great price. If its a dealer that sold you the bike, he’s a crook. There’s going to be alot of fraudulent fire sales of 2017 and 2018 M8 bikes on unsuspecting buyers thinking they are getting a GREAT buy. In reality they are taking a known problem off the hands of a previous customer that’s sick of the sumping games.

Are you still under warranty? If so, get the bike to sump just as you arrive at the dealer (you know exactly what it feels like based on your description). Ride up to service, shut the bike down immdiately (no idling) and hand the service manager the key and request that he follow all the steps in SB1450. If the bike has sumped as badly as you described, you should be getting a replacement engine. At the very least, you’ll have a permanent record of the sumping event. I would also ask the dealer to check the HD Digitaltech records for you’re VIN.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a previous record of sumping with the 1st owner. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the first owner voided the factory warranty which motivated the sale. I really hope I’m wrong but there’s going to be ALOT of shady activity of guys that voided their drivetrain warranty, then run into sumping issues, they try to unload their bike on someone else for a bargain price, vs paying 8-10k to have a new engine installed.

If you’re lucky, the engine isn’t damaged yet and the latest 2019 oil pump with new seal and cover design can correct the sumping. Let us know what you find out about the warranty and service records on the bike. Do you have an ESP yet? If the bike is still under factory warranty, I would recommend purchasing an ESP such as DiscountESP. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Last edited by Heatwave; 09-16-2018 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SOSPWND Pistol Pete (09-16-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 05:29 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Re the "new" crankcases on the '19 models. The new Softails from '18 on have a different Crankcase and have not had any problems with sumping or oil transfer issues.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Old Timer
Re the "new" crankcases on the '19 models. The new Softails from '18 on have a different Crankcase and have not had any problems with sumping or oil transfer issues.
Pretty sure the Softies didn't get an M8 until '18. Not surprising that it's different than the '17 TC part. I think the more relevant question is: Is that part different from the '18 touring bike crankcase?

Quick Reply: bummed,think my m8 sumped