Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dino or Synthetic oil for M8 107

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:45 PM
edmroadglide
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

funny, i have run synthetic in allot of bikes and everyone of them became a ticker basta*rd from hell. Just tonight i was yacking with a tech at the dealership about this and he too just went back to dino oil with a few extra changes becasue of the noise. My M8 with dino in it is much more quite than with syn 3 or amsoil for that matter. The engine with dino gets a bit warmer but other than that you are hard pressed to know the difference. Also i have been running dino oil in all our cars for the last 10 years, mine has about 200k klm on it now and it runs as good as the day i bought it and never had an issue, i change the oil regular like and bobs your uncle. I know all the tech and so forth on synthetic i am not apposed but i wonder sometimes if at the end of the day you take care of your ride does it matter? Sometime i think synthetic was created for all the people that could not be bothered to change their oil.

just a though.

The following users liked this post:
TroutBum (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

They are quieter with dino than syn, aside from that only real difference I've seen beside price per bottle is syn allows a longer interval between changes. Run dino in mine.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:08 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Amsoil in all 4 of my Harleys in the motor and trans. Prefer the clutch feel with Dino in the primary. No big difference but the research is out there. Kinda like if you don’t believe in climate change. Now wether or not climate change is affected by man is another story.....

Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Amsoil Synthetic in the motor
HD Dino Formula+ in the primary
Belraybin the primary.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:38 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I prefer used McDonalds cooking oil. When I'm stuck in traffic it smokes a little, and makes me hungry along with the people on either side of me.
also known as Pink Slime...goes perfect with Extra Virgin

Old 09-18-2018, 10:51 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I use Amsoil in the engine and Formula+ in the transmission and primary. Figure since the trans oil is gonna end up in the primary anyway, might as well be the same stuff. Mine migrated 10oz of oil from tranny to primary on a 2800 mile trip I recently took.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:18 AM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Is Amsoil an Amway product?

Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
Is Amsoil an Amway product?
is oleboy a butt hurt product?

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by edmroadglide
funny, i have run synthetic in allot of bikes and everyone of them became a ticker basta*rd from hell. Just tonight i was yacking with a tech at the dealership about this and he too just went back to dino oil with a few extra changes becasue of the noise. My M8 with dino in it is much more quite than with syn 3 or amsoil for that matter. The engine with dino gets a bit warmer but other than that you are hard pressed to know the difference. Also i have been running dino oil in all our cars for the last 10 years, mine has about 200k klm on it now and it runs as good as the day i bought it and never had an issue, i change the oil regular like and bobs your uncle. I know all the tech and so forth on synthetic i am not apposed but i wonder sometimes if at the end of the day you take care of your ride does it matter? Sometime i think synthetic was created for all the people that could not be bothered to change their oil.

just a though.
Good points. My concern with dino is how hot these engines get. Not a concern in a car engine. Dino oil heat rating is a fair amount below synthetic. For that reason I will stick with synthetic.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 AM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Heat

Originally Posted by martin10
Good points. My concern with dino is how hot these engines get. Not a concern in a car engine. Dino oil heat rating is a fair amount below synthetic. For that reason I will stick with synthetic.

Perhaps I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't believe HD would even recommend HD 360 20w-50 if it would cause them engine failure ($$$$$$). I run a fan assisted oil cooler. Absolutely the best thing I've bought for the bike. Definitely runs cooler.

Quick Reply: Dino or Synthetic oil for M8 107