Sponsored by:

Brand new '18 CVO Limited Sumped

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:52 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
There's no way a Power Vision would cause sumping - that's ridiculous.
Your right but it voids warranty any ways

Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
...I told them i wanted to keep my warranty and they said no problem bring it here and no warranty issues...I said thanks but I do a lot of touring and didn't want issues on the road...
And therein, my friends, lie the two conflicting issues.

My dealership says exactly the same thing: "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." And they will, absolutely. What that means is that they will fix the problem and not charge you for it. They will eat it. What they will NOT do is submit the warranty claim, because then they would have to try to cover up the fact that your powertrain warranty is 110% void, and if the MoCo catches a dealership doing that, they could lose the franchise.

And then there's problem #2: You're on the road, and you have a problem. The out of town dealership owes you no loyalty, they will see what you did and refuse the warranty claim. Then, they will take your VIN and log into the Talon system and void your powertrain warranty, coast to coast, forever.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 09-21-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Btw, another HDF member talked to his service manager, and his estimate is that approximately 10% of all 117 M8 CVO's are exhibiting sumping.
perhaps they should have named them SVO instead...

I don't know the number but I would suspect that 10% might be appropriate for stock CVOs, but my guess is that Stage 4 CVOs are the highest risk for sumping.

It's a shame that Harley's most expensive bike, with their top of the line upgrade, is the most prone to fail. On top of that the dealer is advocating behavior that voids the warranty? That is outrageous.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

My dealership says exactly the same thing: "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." And they will, absolutely. What that means is that they will fix the problem and not charge you for it. They will eat it. What they will NOT do is submit the warranty claim, because then they would have to try to cover up the fact that your powertrain warranty is 110% void, and if the MoCo catches a dealership doing that, they could lose the franchise.

And then there's problem #2: You're on the road, and you have a problem. The out of town dealership owes you no loyalty, they will see what you did and refuse the warranty claim. Then, they will take your VIN and log into the Talon system and void your powertrain warranty, coast to coast, forever.
well therein lies a 3rd issue as well,,,ownership culpability...claiming ignorance is no excuse for not understanding that the factory limited powertrain warranty is a contract between the owner and manufacturer

Old 09-21-2018, 11:21 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Yup, and yup.

There are dealers across the country doing this. Somebody buys a brand new $40,000-$43,000 motorcycle, and then, if they haven't been paying attention, find out that if they want to improve the performance, they will use Harley-Davidson parts exclusively, and the POS Harley-Davidson tuner module, or else.

Some are ignorant, and some are quite informed, and take the "Oh, hell no." position.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:32 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Yep exactly right. I told them i will pass just do slip ons until warranty is out.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:41 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

1. Buy a $43k touring motorcycle.

2. Can't live with it in stock form.

3. Modify knowing the Factory warranty will be voided.

4. Rely on dealer to eat the cost of repairs when the likelihood of failure is approx. 10%

5. Accept the risk of touring without any powertrain warranty.

Some of you guys must be printing money in the basement.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:58 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Subscribed.

Btw, another HDF member talked to his service manager, and his estimate is that approximately 10% of all 117 M8 CVO's are exhibiting sumping.
But, but, but.......the cheerleaders all say the M8 failure rate is less than 1%!! HD is still doing the million miles of "testing", they're just letting the customers pay them to do it. OP, I hope you get your bike sorted out.

Ya'll can jump on the OP if you want, but many new M8 owners are motivated to do modifications to their bikes once they get them because the true power output doesn't match the BS hype. For the amount of CI any of the M8 engines have, the rear wheel horsepower and torque is pitiful. And let's not forget, they sump, transfer and leak down in completely stock form. Not all of them, not even most of them, but if it happens to you after paying good money for a new bike, it's a 100% failure rate. The laughable thing about all this is that some M8 owners make it their mission to shout down or criticize anyone who dares to report a problem or bitch about it. "You shouldn't have modified it, you get what your get", "You're riding it wrong, you made it happen" and the ever popular anecdotal evidence "Mine runs great, you just must have got the one bad one". I guess it's just a defense mechanism in hopes that if they cover their ears and close their eyes it won't happen to them; kinda how a 3 year plays hide and seek by closing their eyes. I can think of several early M8 cheerleaders who are gone from this forum after having "the troubles" with their bike. My guess is they're riding something else or not at all.

If you keep cheering for what Harley is making right now, they're gonna keep serving it up. Now that might not mean anything to the new Sons Of Anarchy crowd who in two years will sell or trade "the lifestyle" for a pontoon boat and couple of jet skis, but the lifers are gonna have to live with how HD is doing business right now for a long time. If nobody speaks up, it'll only get worse.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-22-2018 at 04:28 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
IdahoHacker (09-22-2018), jd05flhtci (09-22-2018), LoneWoolf (09-23-2018), ole_phart (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:49 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Actually no one defending the M8 has said what you said not even close ,and by the number of bogus sumping threads that do come up yea , why not challenge everything,at least 50% were bogus, having 2 profiles and one IP was getting pretty common.
Make another profile post up ya bike "sumps"and then never be heard of again , that's the format isn't it, that's the one I found out , and yea where are they now ?I PM'ed a bunch of them, they just disappeared,never to be heard of again.
To me now unless you show me the work number from Harley the before and after pictures,the associated paper work it means nothing to me it's fake news for all I know.
Keep serving it up sheet where you been fuknut the TC has how many recalls to it's name and they're still making recalls for the bucket of schit, a new recall comes out for it with regularity , how many *** ups did those POS have, try to make power and the cranks scissored , check the crank run out on an M8 it's next to nothing.
Seriously where you been the POSchit cam was and is a fuking mess , go to your local HD and see what's being worked on on Monday morning there's the odd M8 in for a sevice or getting a stage kit but there's always a few broken TC from poor **** that bought them 2nd hand with a few miles on them, the owner realized the new noises it made where going to cost money to fix and sold it.Seriously a bike that 2 years after serial production ceased is getting new recalls and how many recalls has the M8 had , so yea the M8 sumping problem is epidemic right but no recalls for it but the POSchit cam is still getting new recalls,HD Au said 1.2% for the M8 sumping and yes there'll be more than that as they do more miles , I get that but if it was epidemic and the sky was falling WOULD THERE NOT BE A RECALL and yes I think there should be a recall myself for the baggers,HD should just do the right thing here.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I rest my case. It's no wonder some M8 posters are one and done.

The following 2 users liked this post by Campy Roadie:
Dynamick (09-22-2018), MTBIG G (09-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Brand new '18 CVO Limited Sumped