Sponsored by:

i got to spend some time with miss warranty and

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:03 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
we have a very long history and great relationship with our dealership and the message has been consistent throughout..which is everything begins and ends with the root cause investigation and determination on 'what exactly failed' and subsequent damage addressed according to the warranty guidelines..and they have been fair and impartial and proven to follow that consistently when problems have occurred, as they should..when there have been some gray areas they tend to lean towards supporting their customers
I believe that good dealers that really care about their customers will take things as far as they can to help a customer within the terms of the warranty. Some places just don't care about you.

The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:08 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,602 Likes on 4,449 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I believe that good dealers that really care about their customers will take things as far as they can to help a customer within the terms of the warranty. Some places just don't care about you.
agree, I have no complaints..they've taken care of our problems many times over 13 years and 10 bikes..what I appreciate is their consistency, and explaining things, etc

Old 10-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Cold Forged
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
...It's unbelievable how stupid some folks can be...

...Some of the deadheads around here are too thick in the mind...

...Damn, I hate stupidity. Even more than a sumping M8 engine. LOL!!
Yeah, we get it...you hate stupidity...and exposing stupidity in all its forms seems to be your primary motivation for posting on this subject, ad nauseum.
Now, remind us again when you purchased your 2017 or later M8 bike (which would allow you to speak freely and without hypocrisy about this issue)?

Old 10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,376 Likes on 2,625 Posts

Some of the deadheads around here are too thick in the mind to realize that. Damn, I hate stupidity. Even more than a sumping M8 engine. LOL!!
Be very careful of what you say about deadheads, we are a mean and dangerous bunch.

kap1 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:20 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,602 Likes on 4,449 Posts

and yes i am a deadhead! one of many of their concerts..remember driving to this one, stoned the whole way, heading I 5 south from Portland to Eugene, stopped at a Rest Area and headed back on the Interstate. After driving for awhile noticed a sign that said 'Portland Next 3 Exits'..whoa dude! so we turned around and started over

Last edited by mjwebb; 10-05-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:22 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Well I've probably bought my last motorcycle. Age and disability are rising rapidly. But I still would prefer, if I was to ever buy another bike, to have NO WARRANTY whatever. I'd wish a dealer could offer a no-warranty deal, with a discount on sale price commensurate with what the manufacturer factors in as their cost for providing the warranty.

After all, nobody really thought that these warranties are free, did they?

Just sell me the bike. If it breaks, I'll fix it at my own cost. Save around $2k (yes, I think it really is that much) on the sale price. Then, when/if it breaks, I have no need to argue with anybody.

jd05flhtci (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Cold Forged
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
Well I've probably bought my last motorcycle. Age and disability are rising rapidly. But I still would prefer, if I was to ever buy another bike, to have NO WARRANTY whatever. I'd wish a dealer could offer a no-warranty deal, with a discount on sale price commensurate with what the manufacturer factors in as their cost for providing the warranty.

After all, nobody really thought that these warranties are free, did they?

Just sell me the bike. If it breaks, I'll fix it at my own cost. Save around $2k (yes, I think it really is that much) on the sale price. Then, when/if it breaks, I have no need to argue with anybody.
I'm not suggesting that you are old enough to remember this, but:

Folklore has it that when Ransom E. Olds began selling his curved-dash Oldsmobile back in 1901, the guarantee he offered buyers stated that once the money changed hands, the car was theirs and the money his.

A 1925 Ford offered the typical warranty of the day: “90 days on material; 30 days on labour. No guarantee whatsoever on fan belts, glass, bulbs, wiring, transmission bands, hose connections, commutator shells, rollers, spark plugs or gaskets.”
The 90-day warranty would outlive Henry Ford and become the industry standard right through the 1950s.

The multi-year, comprehensive warranties that we have today are a relatively new thing and something that we now expect! But, further to your comments, it would be interesting to know how much this adds to the bottom line for a specific vehicle or product.

Last edited by Cold Forged; 10-05-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,908 Likes on 3,286 Posts

I posted almost the same thing in a recent thread. I was called a troll,, some idiot said something about the "pussification of America starting",
That was me. You guys and your warranty threads are obviously new to the game. Have you ever bothered to read your warranty? all of it? even the fine print? NO. Because if you had then you'd know that piece of paper would be more effective as toilet paper than it would a "warranty"

The moco states "Harley Davidson can void your warranty at any time if they deem you have damaged the motorcycle by riding it improproperly" That leaves them wide open to deny your warranty claims if they think you do burnouts, wheelies, ride at excessive speeds, or mistreat the motor in the revs. So, in the end, it's up to how nice they feel on that given day and how you look... If you're young they will automatically call you out for misuse and abuse. Happened to my son, so I know.

These bikes are blank slates, have been since the beginning. The moco couldn't come up with an original idea if it slapped them in the head. The whole livewire concept is built of Tesla technology, not their own.
If you rely on a warranty to fix your bike when it breaks then you should probably buy a different brand of bike. These are glorified tractors, nothing more, nothing less. HD has gone straight down the ******* ever since the "suburban wannabe biker" started buying them. We were fine before that. We knew what we got, we accepted it and we bought aftermarket parts. F*** HD and their warranty. It's worthless.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Cold Forged
Cruiser

Are you sick of reading about warranty issues yet?...Sorry, it's been a slow day at work...

Did anyone buy their bike from Harley-Davidson of Charlotte, NC?
Are they still offering a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on new or approved used bikes?

I didn't see any disclaimer about not providing coverage on M8 bikes!

http://www.harleydavidsonofcharlotte...etime-warranty

Last edited by Cold Forged; 10-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:23 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,173 Likes on 3,523 Posts

Originally Posted by Cold Forged
Are you sick of reading about warranty issues yet?...Sorry, it's been a slow day at work...

Did anyone buy their bike from Harley-Davidson of Charlotte, NC?
Are they still offering a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on new or approved used bikes?

I didn't see any disclaimer about not providing coverage on M8 bikes!

http://www.harleydavidsonofcharlotte...etime-warranty
Clearly underwritten by the dealer themselves, they can warranty whatever they want.

Quick Reply: i got to spend some time with miss warranty and