Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cylinders sump report

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Did you replace the inner cam bearing when you installed the cam? If so, did you ensure ALL needles in the bearing were accounted for? I ask for a very specific reason, and that is we have seen at least 2 members here where the needle falls into the engine as a result of the puller not being fully seated when removing the bearing, leaving needles behind.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Ryanm1
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Did you replace the inner cam bearing when you installed the cam? If so, did you ensure ALL needles in the bearing were accounted for? I ask for a very specific reason, and that is we have seen at least 2 members here where the needle falls into the engine as a result of the puller not being fully seated when removing the bearing, leaving needles behind.
I did replace the cam bearing, I checked for each needle bearing as I was already aware of a couple people having that issue but I am going to check them again. After looking closely at the pump and plate it does look like something was picked up in the scavenge port and then got sucked into the pump.

The big question is split the case or flush

Old 10-07-2018, 10:58 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Verify the needle bearings and also the casing that houses the rollers. Maybe a piece broke off?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Ryanm1
Advanced

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Verify the needle bearings and also the casing that houses the rollers. Maybe a piece broke off?
have to mow and clean the wife’s car, I will report more findings this afternoon when I get a chance to get back at it. Thanks again everyone

Old 10-07-2018, 11:12 AM
Mogollon
Intermediate
Received 67 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks like something hard went through your pump. The two most common items that go through an M8 pump are a piston jet screw and an inner cam bearing needle.

Did you replace the inner cam bearing? If you did, can you check the old bearing for any missing needles, one or more? An inner cam bearing puller sometimes damages the cam bearing during extraction, and one or more needles can fall into the flywheel cavity, eventually getting sucked into the pump.

Also, the proper torque for the piston jet screw is 27-33 in-lbs. and not the approximate 22 in-lbs. that was listed in early M8 service manuals. The M1450 service bulletin lists the correct piston jet torque specs.

It’s also possible that some hard item(s) accidentally fell into the flywheel cavity during engine assembly.

If you suspect more stray items may be located in the flywheel cavity, you can remove a cylinder, use a magnet to catch the item, and then flush the case.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ryanm1

have to mow and clean the wife’s car, I will report more findings this afternoon when I get a chance to get back at it. Thanks again everyone
You should think about trading in the grass car for a painted one, much less maintenance lol

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Ryanm1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mogollon
It looks like something hard went through your pump. The two most common items that go through an M8 pump are a piston jet screw and an inner cam bearing needle.

Did you replace the inner cam bearing? If you did, can you check the old bearing for any missing needles, one or more? An inner cam bearing puller sometimes damages the cam bearing during extraction, and one or more needles can fall into the flywheel cavity, eventually getting sucked into the pump.

Also, the proper torque for the piston jet screw is 27-33 in-lbs. and not the approximate 22 in-lbs. that was listed in early M8 service manuals. The M1450 service bulletin lists the correct piston jet torque specs.

It’s also possible that some hard item(s) accidentally fell into the flywheel cavity during engine assembly.

If you suspect more stray items may be located in the flywheel cavity, you can remove a cylinder, use a magnet to catch the item, and then flush the case.
old cam bearing is in the trash so I cannot check it, I am going to flush the case. I know it’s a gamble but factoring the run time, are the chances that whatever it picked up was caught in the filter? I would think that after running it the 100 plus miles that if more was still in the system it would have totally locked the pump up?

Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Ryanm1
Advanced

You should think about trading in the grass car for a painted one, much less maintenance lol
Yes that would be nice haha, the wife is wanting the bike done for biketoberfest and also all the house chores done.. what gives!

Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 AM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ryanm1

Yes that would be nice haha, the wife is wanting the bike done for biketoberfest and also all the house chores done.. what gives!
Time to find a neighborhood kid, 40 bucks to cut the lawn and wash her car while you start flushing the cases

Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Ryanm1
Advanced

Time to find a neighborhood kid, 40 bucks to cut the lawn and wash her car while you start flushing the cases
my 4 year old is in training now haha

Quick Reply: New cylinders sump report