Sponsored by:

2019 Street Bob - False Neutral Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM
M1chael
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2019 Street Bob - False Neutral Issue

Hello fellow Harley-Davidson brethren,I’m having an issue with my new 2019 FXBB Street Bob. About 30% of the time when I shift from 1st to 2nd it gets stuck in neutral. I hear/feel and audible click when I upshift. I try to upshift again, and hear/feel another click, but it stays it neutral. Upshift again….still neutral. The only way to get out of it is to downshift back to 1st and then upshift again and it will usually go into 2nd by then. I now have about 160 miles on the bike, but it’s been this way from day one (even on the test ride... but I attributed it to me getting used tow mid controls vs. the forward controls of my 2012 FXDWG Wide Glide). Also, I never have an issue downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. It’s only from 1st to 2nd.

The other 70% of the time it’s shifts flawlessly from 1st to 2nd. I know it’s not me partially shifting up to second. There is definitely something going on. It’s almost like there is a cam or detent in there that’s not catching and when I shift up to second it just falls back down to neutral. I already adjusted the clutch and that didn’t help and I confirmed the transmission and primary fluid levels are good. I'm thinking it's a pawl-centering issue or there is sometheing wrong with one of the springs in the shifter mechanism.

The only other thing is that it seems to happen mostly after the bike gets warmed up. It never happens in the first few miles or so. I’m going to bring it into H-D since it’s still under warranty, but before they start ripping her open I figured I’d consult with you guys to see if you had any ideas of other things I could check myself.

Mike