Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000-mile Service Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:48 PM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I hate to take my bike to the dealer. If it is an expensive warranty issue I will begrudgingly take it in, otherwise I do all my own work.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by sandrooney
I hate to take my bike to the dealer. If it is an expensive warranty issue I will begrudgingly take it in, otherwise I do all my own work.
My wife gave me a $1000.00 warranty budget, if its a grand or less I get to do it myself. That's because she gets it! and she cant stand to see me suffer while they got their greasy paws on my bike.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 PM
08police
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I would recommend that you take off that piece of junk Cobra power and go with a Dynojet powervision. I had the cobra tuner on my bike and it did nothing. Once you put the powervsion tune on your bike it is noticeable right away.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:31 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

Say goodbye to the power train warranty , I used the SEPST to avoid this issue on my 2017 trike but used a FP3 on my 2016 SGS and yes the service technician found it and noted it also

Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Hephaestus
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

It is going to be up to your dealer if they note your stage 1 mods but in today's business climate chances are they wont ignore it. Harley is right at this moment eating 30+ million dollars on the clutch recall. I'm sure they aren't looking to lose anymore on warranty claims than they need to.
My 2017 sgs is stage 1 but it is out of warranty and has 12,250 on the odometer. I'm already figuring that if it sumps, or worse, I'm gonna have to eat the cost of repair.
regardless, good luck I hope it does work for ya.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you can do the 5K yourself, then do it. Why waste your money? It won't matter whether they did it or you did it. Just keep your receipts if you're worried about it. I've had several Harley's over 20+ years and never taken one to a dealer for service.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:53 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock-45
Hey Guys,

I have a question to see what you guys recommend I should do.

The 5000-mile service on my 2017 Street Glide Special is coming up now, so I am having the dealer do it for me, but my concern is that I did a poor man's stage-1 kit on the bike that consist of a K&N filter, Rineharts slip-ons and a Cobra Powrpro Black fuel management system, so my concern is that if the dealer sees the fuel management system on the bike, they might make note of it and if I ever had the need to do a warranty repair on the bike, they might tell the Moco and my warranty might be rejected or cancelled.

So do you guys think that it might be safe to leave the fuel management unit installed on the bike, or you highly recommend I un-install it as a precaution????

I'm actually not looking forward to un-installing the unit, because it was a pain in the *** to run all of those wires under the fuel tank, but if it would be wise for me to do so, I will to avoid taking chances.

What do you guys recommend I should do?

Thanks.
Well, have you made up your mind what you are going to do?

Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,074 Likes on 610 Posts

Don't take it to the Stealership; do it yourself.
The MoCo will do everything and anything they can to jump off of a warranty claim.
I actually had a Stealership initially refuse to warranty a H-D tachometer because they had not record of a 5,000 service at the Stealership. I told them that there's no record because i did it myself. I then educated them on the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act and got a new tachometer. Give them credit (discredit) for trying. The MoCo would have been proud of their effort at least.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:31 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,018 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
5K service eh?..doubt they'll find out about it doing a $400 oil change and tire inflation..LOL
Soon as they hook up to the ECM they'll know something is there and yes they do that every service. They gave me a copy of the download results my 5K service.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:52 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Like others here, I will take my bike to a dealer only as a last resort, even for things covered by warranty. I’m considering doing the clutch secondary seal R&R myself since it is fairly easy and cheap.

No disparagement intended for for the hardworking and competent shop mechanics. But I do a better cleaner job on my own bike.

Quick Reply: 5000-mile Service Question