Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:40 PM
liberty.mike
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I read it the same as you did, sarcasm based on the negatives and how to sump an M8 threads. He is a happy guy and the ones that misread and commented may have made him reconsider posting. Common forum behavior as we all speed read some of these posts and jump on trying to be helpful or critical.

I am a happy M8 owner. 126 ft/lbs, 122 hp and my biggest bitch is the wheel bearings. I'm pretty sure my FXDLRS Dyna is quicker (and fun as hell) but the Glide has the best parking spot in the garage.

Originally Posted by STRADALE

As I mentioned already the OP never said he does that, runs at 4500 rpm for 2 hours but that’s what other posters started saying. No one said they run at 4500 for 2 hours, the OP was exaggerating about what he reads on the forum, it was obviously sarcastic to me when I read his post but guess it went over some heads... Here’s the OP’s msg that started the grapevine conversation:

​​​​​​

Old 11-22-2018, 12:45 AM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Here we are, back to the OP 'M8 experiences'
I love this engine, so smooth it makes HD people laugh, power forever, runs way cooler than any V-twin in an HD.
Cheers!

Old 11-22-2018, 06:18 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Impressed? Heck yea, the M8 is the first Harley I have owned or ridden stock that I didn't think, OMG it’s a dog and I can’t wait to spend a thousand dollars to make it faster! Definitely more than enough power stock to handle any type of riding conditions.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:06 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

We rented an Electra Glide and a Heritage Classic and rode from Seattle to SF on 101. Loved the power and torque of both. As best I could tell both were stock.

Did not really care for the looks of the Heritage being blacked. What I like about the Heritage is the chrome.

My wife did like that it is much lighter than her 2013.

The motors have a difference sound and feel that takes getting used too, compared to my 2013 Heritages.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:52 PM
Archer915
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sumping

I am a new member and I’m playing catch up on this subject I have a 2018 road king that I just did red shift cam and Vance and Hines two into one I have never heard anything about this issue or what I should be listening for? how do you know for sure if this is happening do your bike? Oil levels? When the bike with stock during the break in. I never ran above three grand now that it is broken in and I have done the stage two I cannot hear the engine as well after the addition of the Pro pipe.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:22 PM
SMR65
Road Master
Received 829 Likes on 455 Posts

We are riding two 18 street glides. They both have been awesome bikes 12km and 6km. Front brake rotors were warped on mine, but that has been common for years. No problem with warranty. Both have stage 1 kits, but ill be going stage two in the spring. There will be warranty left, but ill roll dice with 12km on it now.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 AM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Still on the fence

I don't have that many miles on my 18 FLTRU yet (2700) so I don't have any long term input yet. I wasn't as impressed with the stock power of the M8 as a lot of you were because I expected more from a new 4 valve engine design with more displacement than the outgoing twin cam. I admit this is a much smoother engine and the torque seems to come on a little earlier than the twin cam, but it just didn't make me say "wow", it's just ok. I haven't had a sumping issue as of yet. Checked a while after my 1000 mile break in, probably around the 2200 mile mark. I got 6 1/2 oz out, not horrible but no big cause for concern. Since then I've installed the S&S 475 cam, and breather and exhaust. When doing this I replaced the oil pump with the newest version along with the back plate with the seal. We checked the oil level before putting it on the dyno and after with no change. Since then I've put on a little over 400 miles quite a few of which were higher rpm miles and it has shown no signs of sumping at all. The one issue that is disappointing though is that at the 1000 mile mark after riding like the manuel says to break in properly, it had transferred enough oil out of the transmission that there was nothing showing on the dipstick. I've done "the fix" for this issue and so far it's good. Overall this is a more refined bike than the previous models but for the money and the issues that some have had with theirs it's just ok at best. Makes me look at Honda or BMW a lot harder for next time around.

Last edited by FLSTF; 11-25-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
sandrooney
Road Master
Received 262 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a 2018 Heritage and love it. Only 3700 miles so far so good. Suspension is hands down better than any Harley I have ever owned, to include several touring models.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:40 PM
arlington
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

17' Road Glide, ran flawlessly until 25,000, just had motor replaced sumping a couple of months ago

Old 11-26-2018, 03:09 PM
soniccbr
Tourer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not following the line of thinking to "break in" an engine before changing pistons, rings, cylinders for big bore kits. There is literally nothing else in a engine that needs "broke in", other than old skool flat tappet cams, that M8's don't use. The new piston rings will need their own break in.

Last edited by soniccbr; 11-26-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: M8 Experiences