Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent sound with stock headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Uberjason
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

TAB Performance BAM sticks with Zombie Baffles. Stock 2019 HD Headpipe (with Catalyst) and stock air filter. NO tuner (yet).

Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM
Gary1
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 131 Posts

I went with Cobra Neighbor Haters. They are $340 on Amazon and sound excellent. I guarantee you that you are feeling hesitation in that Milwaukee 8 with the stock slip-ons on it. You will find if you put some free flowing slip-ons on it that the hesitation will go away without needing a tuner.

Last edited by Gary1; 12-29-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: change
Old 12-29-2018, 04:46 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1
I went with Cobra Neighbor Haters. They are $340 on Amazon and sound excellent. I guarantee you that you are feeling hesitation in that Milwaukee 8 with the stock slip-ons on it. You will find if you put some free flowing slip-ons on it that the hesitation will go away without needing a tuner.
Noone I know has or had an M8 hesitation with stock exhaust. That said not even sure how an already lean-running bike could run better (less hesitation?) after opening the exhaust to flow more air, than a bike that the EFI has been recalibrated for the additional airflow? Gotta wonder if your bike didn’t have a running issue that somehow was corrected during the work done to the bike.
Just my experiences,
Bob

Old 12-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Gary1
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17

Noone I know has or had an M8 hesitation with stock exhaust. That said not even sure how an already lean-running bike could run better (less hesitation?) after opening the exhaust to flow more air, than a bike that the EFI has been recalibrated for the additional airflow? Gotta wonder if your bike didn’t have a running issue that somehow was corrected during the work done to the bike.
Just my experiences,
Bob
It feels more like a flat spot when you are going through the gears quickly. I have had two milwaukee 8; a road king and street glide and both of them in stock condition were not strong pulling motors without slip-ons.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:44 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary1
It feels more like a flat spot when you are going through the gears quickly. I have had two milwaukee 8; a road king and street glide and both of them in stock condition were not strong pulling motors without slip-ons.
I bet if you were to get it tuned you would notice even more increase. Recalibration for airflow changes always produce a better running, more responsive bike.
With a proper dyno, you will get the most and best performance from a bike that had to leave the factory with a canned, EPA-regulated, lean running calibration.
Whille I hear many owners state their bikes run fine. Then, after a recalibration by a knowledgeable tuner, the differences become clear to the rider.
Next best resolve is to do your own Street Tuning but that takes a bit of time to get clear understanding of how it works and miles of riding to get to all cells learned. Then process the data collected and determine where cells were missed so the rider can go out and do another tuning session until changes are less than 5%.
You need to know there is more fun (smoothness, response, and mileage) left in your bike.
Talk to someone who has had their bike properly tuned with the same mods as you.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 12-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjwebb (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Gary1
Road Master

I bet if you were to get it tuned you would notice even more increase. Recalibration for airflow changes always produce a better running, more responsive bike.
With a proper dyno, you will get the most and best performance from a bike that had to leave the factory with a canned, EPA-regulated, lean running calibration.
Whille I hear many owners state their bikes run fine. Then, after a recalibration by a knowledgeable tuner, the differences become clear to the rider.
Next best resolve is to do your own Street Tuning but that takes a bit of time to get clear understanding of how it works and miles of riding to get to all cells learned. Then process the data collected and determine where cells were missed so the rider can go out and do another tuning session until changes are less than 5%.
You need to know there is more fun (smoothness, response, and mileage) left in your bike.
Talk to someone who has had their bike properly tuned with the same mods as you.
Bob
It runs beautiful with just the slip-ons; doesn't pop, idles good, and pulls strong. It's all the power I need so don't plan on putting a tuner on it unless I go full stage 1 and decat.

Last edited by Gary1; 12-30-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Change
Old 12-30-2018, 03:00 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,544 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Bob
I've followed your recommendations on this long ago, followed through with proper dyno tune and wholeheartedly concur that you are right on all points from the results in my experience

Old 12-31-2018, 02:42 PM
RinTin
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I've followed your recommendations on this long ago, followed through with proper dyno tune and wholeheartedly concur that you are right on all points from the results in my experience
MJ, Gary bought free flowing Cobra Neighbor Haters, you have Harley Davidson's EPA exhaust. There is a huge difference. Your dynotune was next to worthless. There is no way the Street Tuner did anything for you with that setup. You've been buffalo'd. There are a lot of folks on here that know about dyno's, exhaust and tuners. I've read all their post. Lets hear from them if they don't agree with my statement.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM
chasu99
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

By advice from the HD dealer, I went with TAB Long Slip On with Zombie Baffles. Stock breather and no tuner. Change the breather, and then a stage one tune is necessary.​​​​​​​

Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardstick
I used American custom Mufflers. They are the stock muffler body with their baffle. The standard baffle is not excessively loud and has a very nice deep mellow tone. Benefit is they are $299
Did you get the standard Deep Growl baffle?

Can you post a close-up pic of what it looks like from the end/back of the bike?

Quick Reply: Decent sound with stock headers?