Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   SE adjustable pushrods and loctite? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1275393-se-adjustable-pushrods-and-loctite.html)

NoSecCatfish 03-17-2019 07:42 PM

SE adjustable pushrods and loctite?

I just finished up an install of the SE 462 horsepower cam and SE adjustable pushrods. I payed careful attention to the factory service manual and to the directions included with the pushrods, but nowhere does it mention using any sort of threadlock on the pushrod's jam nuts. I've only installed one other set of adjustable pushrods before, and they were the Fuel Moto adjustable's and they did call for red loctite.

So, am I OK without loctite on the jam nuts?

Notgrownup 03-17-2019 07:46 PM

I didn’t use any on mine

BigT12 03-17-2019 08:11 PM

I have used SE adjustable pushrods for years, never used loctite and never had a pushrod loosen up.

hattitude 03-17-2019 11:25 PM

Most people I've read about, and people I know here locally, don't put locktite on the jam nuts even if it's supplied....

They claim it's not necessary and makes it a real bitch loosen the jamb nuts if you need to in the future..

NoSecCatfish 03-18-2019 04:27 AM

Sounds like I'm good to go, then. Thanks for the replies!

Gway 04-20-2024 11:40 AM

Cut them

Originally Posted by hattitude (Post 18112991)
Most people I've read about, and people I know here locally, don't put locktite on the jam nuts even if it's supplied....

They claim it's not necessary and makes it a real bitch loosen the jamb nuts if you need to in the future..

Thats when you just cut them like you do the originals...they arent that expensive...I want lock tight on mine as I have heard of them coming loose and they will come loose out in the middle of nowhere...on mine anyway!

Rounders 04-20-2024 11:46 AM

Finding tdc on side of road would not be fun.

Gway 04-20-2024 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21652829)
Finding tdc on side of road would not be fun.

If something doesnt come loose that shouldnt ever have to be done anyway correct?

Rounders 04-20-2024 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gway (Post 21652900)
If something doesnt come loose that shouldnt ever have to be done anyway correct?

I would agree. But they said some manufacturers supplied loctitie and some chose not to use it. So then they would not have done it right

Some people have said if they come loose eat to fix. Rolling back to find tdc to set lash, doesn't seem easy alone.
​​​​​

NorthWestern 04-20-2024 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gway (Post 21652825)
Thats when you just cut them like you do the originals...they arent that expensive...I want lock tight on mine as I have heard of them coming loose and they will come loose out in the middle of nowhere...on mine anyway!

To each their own. Clean threads, and proper tension on the nut, you should be good to go.

BUT, common sense use of loctite is certainly never a bad thing. Just a super small dab of high temp should suffice, and not make it miserable when you go back for a new cam install.