Sponsored by:

Fueling venting dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,612 Likes on 3,073 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ CYCLE
My 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE, which is oil cooled has the oil migration issue. So, the part #62700146 does not help the tranny oil migration issue.
This thread isn't about the trans to primary oil migration. They are hoping this mod will help with the sumping issue. They are 2 separate issues.

The following users liked this post:
mikeo33y (01-25-2021)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:23 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,306 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ CYCLE
My 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE, which is oil cooled has the oil migration issue. So, the part #62700146 does not help the tranny oil migration issue.
Because it has nothing to do with the transmission

Old 11-06-2019, 10:25 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,310 Likes on 730 Posts

I will preface this by saying, I did not have any issues with the bike whatsoever. I just did it to see if I could come up with, a cost effective alternative to the crazy priced " pro" fixes.spending

I picked up a used dipstick on eBay, a piece of 3/8 hose,1/8 inch x 3/8 hose barb and a 1/8 NPT to 8MM Paintball Quick-Disconnect Adapter, Stainless Steel Male & Female ,and a breather filter off amazon. Drilled and tapped the the dipstick cover then separated the cover from the stick and epoxied it back together to seal it up. Installed quick disconnect and hose barb. Ran the 3/8 hose up the frame rail and secured the breather filter up over the rear wheel. (oil will never make that far anyway)

Total parts cost: About $38:00and a half hour of my time. I keep the stock dipstick in my saddlebag in the event of an issue,(not to check the oil, as the quick disconnect easily allows for that) but as of yet, that has not happened. Didn't notice any performance change either. But not a problem, I can remove it in about 3 minutes if I want to. And ,no,there is no umbrella valve. I don't see the point. I used work on diesel trucks and the older trucks ( pre epa BS) and they used to come new with a 1 inch or larger crankcase breather that used to vent right to the air.

Amazon Amazon

iHodor (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:46 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Hey Jake, when you say "oil will never make it that far anyway", does that mean you're anticipating the re-constitued oil (from mist vapor), to stay in the hosing indefinitely? If so what happens when the line, becomes full? Or does the oil drip back down into the filler spout?

Is this a means of lessening the amount of venting at the breathers?

Can you by chance post a picture of the entire, finished setup off the bike?

Old 11-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
Hey Jake, when you say "oil will never make it that far anyway", does that mean you're anticipating the re-constitued oil (from mist vapor), to stay in the hosing indefinitely? If so what happens when the line, becomes full? Or does the oil drip back down into the filler spout?

Check out these vids: https://www.a1cycles.net/ventilator-videos

There is even a vid w/ a fatboy featured.

iHodor (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:19 PM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,310 Likes on 730 Posts
Default vent

The theory is, that the vent relieves some of the pressure and vacuum( negative pressure) in the crankcase/oil pan/cam chest, that is caused by two reciprocating pistons on a common crank pin. Along with ring blow by. There is a lot going on in a relatively small area, and all that air needs to go somewhere. As far as the oil migrating into the hose, I meant that because the hose is routed upwards, as high as the bottom of the rear fender, you should never see any solid oil coming out of the breather. I suppose if the engine is tired and or you have serious blow by issues, you may get mist to make it that far. But then gravity would play a role in this as well. Keep in mind, as the pistons change direction they also produce pressure on the down stroke, and a negative pressure on the upstroke( less any blow by) so its more like a push pull thing. If you listen to the hose you can hear the engine, for lack of a better term, breath in and out. I guess by reducing the case pressure and negative pressure, you could take some stress off gaskets and seals.Also the oil pump scavenging wouldnt be trying to deal with all those fluctuating differences as well. I doubt there is any power gains, but hey, maybe there is.

When I get a few minutes I will put some pictures.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:20 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Any testimonies out there on their Ventilator? Seems like a very clean way to do this. More expensive than what Jake came up with up above but I like the idea of a fitting that isn't epoxied, fastening into the filler tube. Would like to hear from others who've done this and found that the breathers are no longer dumping oil into the intake thought.

tberg725 (06-04-2020)
Old 11-06-2019, 01:24 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jake24lt
The theory is, that the vent relieves some of the pressure and vacuum( negative pressure) in the crankcase/oil pan/cam chest, that is caused by two reciprocating pistons on a common crank pin. Along with ring blow by. There is a lot going on in a relatively small area, and all that air needs to go somewhere. As far as the oil migrating into the hose, I meant that because the hose is routed upwards, as high as the bottom of the rear fender, you should never see any solid oil coming out of the breather. I suppose if the engine is tired and or you have serious blow by issues, you may get mist to make it that far. But then gravity would play a role in this as well. Keep in mind, as the pistons change direction they also produce pressure on the down stroke, and a negative pressure on the upstroke( less any blow by) so its more like a push pull thing. If you listen to the hose you can hear the engine, for lack of a better term, breath in and out. I guess by reducing the case pressure and negative pressure, you could take some stress off gaskets and seals.Also the oil pump scavenging wouldnt be trying to deal with all those fluctuating differences as well. I doubt there is any power gains, but hey, maybe there is.

When I get a few minutes I will put some pictures.
Thanks Jake. Three things I'm curious about, first is whether or not this reduces the oil being pushed into the hose to the point that it would not build up in the hose. Second is the epoxy used to reseal the dipstick cap to the dipstick. If that failed you could end up with the dipstick in the pan, as well as a whole bunch of oil escaping. And third is whether you've seen a big reduction in the amount of oil going through the factory breathers and into the air filter/intake.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Msquad
Road Captain
Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks Jake. Three things I'm curious about, first is whether or not this reduces the oil being pushed into the hose to the point that it would not build up in the hose. Second is the epoxy used to reseal the dipstick cap to the dipstick. If that failed you could end up with the dipstick in the pan, as well as a whole bunch of oil escaping. And third is whether you've seen a big reduction in the amount of oil going through the factory breathers and into the air filter/intake.
Watch the vids. You will learn a lot.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

I did watch them. Very short and while they would seem to indicate they would help, it would be good to hear some first-hand experience. For example if the cure for sumping was as "simple" as venting the pan through the filler tube I think HD would have moved toward that rather than 3 years of trial and error with oil pumps.

Quick Reply: Fueling venting dipstick?