Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower front fork tubes= better handling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Lower front fork tubes= better handling?

I was talking with a Guy at the Parts dept at the Harley dealer, inquiring about some nice rear shocks for the bike in my avatar. Told him I like to ride fast and wanted better handling, he mentioned sliding the fork tubes up the triple tree about 3/4". Also said there was a spring kit that would have adjustability to the front, forgot what brand. So does lowering the front make for better handling?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 597 Posts

Might handle a hair better from getting lower to the ground. But I wouldn’t do it. The Service manual is pretty specific on where the top of the fork tube needs to be and there’s gotta be a reason why. Best thing you could do if you wanna improve handling in the front end is gut those forks of that stock HD crap and replace it with some quality cartridges.

The following users liked this post:
dave the welder (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,624 Likes on 4,462 Posts

"better handling" there's always a trade off and compromises when making changes..it may improve sharper turning but may induce high speed wobbling as just a type of example, etc. ...just something to keep in mind when altering the tested geometry and configurations of OEM for a balanced ride, performance and handling

Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 3,662 Posts

Lowering the front reduces trail which will lighten the steering and make the bike feel quicker. Reduce it too much and you run into stability problems but I doubt you'll have that issue. What I would be more concerned about is the reduction in cornering clearance. If you don't run that hard and want steering to be lighter, give it a try.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:30 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 833 Likes on 498 Posts

I dropped my previous 2017 FLHXS 1" in the front with progressive springs, rear was not lowered. The front forks always felt a bit harsh on the bumps. My new 2019 FLHXS has not been lowered in the front and it feels every bit responsive as my 2017. For the size of these bikes I'm always amazed at how easy they are to handle.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

I have been riding My 2017 SGS for two years with the front end lowered 1/2" through loosening the triple tree bolts and sliding them lower, it can make no change to handling , suspension travel or damping. It sure makes it easier to stabilize when you stop with a pillion on back.
Just dont take it past 3/4" or the lower Triple could dent the top of the fender!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

another thing to consider is fork dive under heavy braking..might want to go with different weight fluid and/or heavier/better springs or fork kit if lowering..might make it less compliant and supple over bumps but you don't want to be in too awkward of a position under heavy braking because you obviously want complete control..just a thought

Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 AM
Peter Quinn
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
another thing to consider is fork dive under heavy braking..might want to go with different weight fluid and/or heavier/better springs or fork kit if lowering..might make it less compliant and supple over bumps but you don't want to be in too awkward of a position under heavy braking because you obviously want complete control..just a thought
M J, Sliding the trees down the stanchions will have no effect on compliance damping or handling.All that changes is the ride height and posture.
Pretty sure your undoubted experience with dirt bikes is playing a part here.To evaluate this process requires a visual of your Harley in the garage.
Just requires a stopper block and 3/8' allen key to test it.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

What you're changing is your steering geometry. You'll gain quickness of turning at the sacrifice of stability.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Peter Quinn
M J, Sliding the trees down the stanchions will have no effect on compliance damping or handling.All that changes is the ride height and posture.
Pretty sure your undoubted experience with dirt bikes is playing a part here.To evaluate this process requires a visual of your Harley in the garage.
Just requires a stopper block and 3/8' allen key to test it.
yeah, why I said "might" because small changes can make a big difference in some situations..and geometry, posturing, etc can play into that but rebound and damping are different elements...think the point I tried to make but failed to is you can't always change one thing without affecting something else...and yes, on mx tracks we would often make all kinds of changes to settings front and rear for different tracks but this ain't apples to apples obviously..probably way over thunk it for this application

Quick Reply: Lower front fork tubes= better handling?