Sponsored by:

Opinions on this dyno tune...final tune dyno sheet included

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Opinions on this dyno tune...final tune dyno sheet included

Please give your opinions on this "final tune". PowerVision and Target Tune was used. It's a TMan 124" Pro Series Kit w/ M8-226 2PS cam. Other components: SE 64mm w/ polished intake, SE 5.5 injectors, HPI 2-1-2 x-pipe full exhaust system

I know the printouts are not the tell all....but still would like opinions please, especially if you are a professional tuner. I'm asking because even though I'm no expert, the dips in the power curve don't look right.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:49 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 935 Posts

What are you running for mufflers? You say the exhaust system is HPI, are the mufflers also theirs? Just taking a guess I would say you need a little more back pressure.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
What are you running for mufflers? You say the exhaust system is HPI, are the mufflers also theirs? Just taking a guess I would say you need a little more back pressure.
Yes, HPI's mufflers (full exhaust), pic attached. I thought it might be an exhaust issue, but the huge dip (more like a valley) threw me off a bit. The bike doesn't run well at all to me...those dips are felt pretty hard during normal riding. I will be taking it to a more reputable tuner and changing the exhaust to a 2-1 that I already had for the bike. That will help answer the exhaust issue.

Thanks for the help! Just trying to learn.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

The exhaust is killing you. Terrible curve up to 3500.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:34 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

Also not a fan of target tune, sorry Jamie lol.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Twi$t
Yes, HPI's mufflers (full exhaust), pic attached. I thought it might be an exhaust issue, but the huge dip (more like a valley) threw me off a bit. The bike doesn't run well at all to me...those dips are felt pretty hard during normal riding. I will be taking it to a more reputable tuner and changing the exhaust to a 2-1 that I already had for the bike. That will help answer the exhaust issue.

Thanks for the help! Just trying to learn.

If you think it might be the fault of person that tuned the bike, then take it to your reputable tuner and ask their opinion. It might be something else, but the dips you are experiencing look like what are usually caused by exhaust, basically exhaust with little back pressure. I would have thought that HPI would know that and design their exhaust so as not to have a problem. I think they do tuning at their facility.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
If you think it might be the fault of person that tuned the bike, then take it to your reputable tuner and ask their opinion. It might be something else, but the dips you are experiencing look like what are usually caused by exhaust, basically exhaust with little back pressure. I would have thought that HPI would know that and design their exhaust so as not to have a problem. I think they do tuning at their facility.
I do not know if it's the fault of the tuner or not. It's why I'm asking here...also to gain knowledge myself. I definitely will discuss with the next tuner and show him the print out. Reason I'm not sure if it's the tuner's abilities or the exhaust is he claims bike is running great...but not when I rode it. And to add..I immediately found an exhaust leak when I got bike home (long story)...back plate breather bolt was not tight and had 1/8" gap between throttle body and back plate. You could hear the whirling/whistling noise while standing next to bike while idling, and especially when I would blip the throttle quickly. Fixing the intake leak can throw off the tune??? I don't know.

I am familiar with dips and exhaust (back pressure). My Street Glide had CFR's and had a small dip at the beginning of the curve, but nothing like this.

About HPI...what can I say? They are the experts, not me..you live and learn. The exhaust probably works well on a stock bike.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:20 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,602 Likes on 4,449 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Twi$t
I do not know if it's the fault of the tuner or not. It's why I'm asking here...also to gain knowledge myself. I definitely will discuss with the next tuner and show him the print out. Reason I'm not sure if it's the tuner's abilities or the exhaust is he claims bike is running great...but not when I rode it. And to add..I immediately found an exhaust leak when I got bike home (long story)...back plate breather bolt was not tight and had 1/8" gap between throttle body and back plate. You could hear the whirling/whistling noise while standing next to bike while idling, and especially when I would blip the throttle quickly. Fixing the intake leak can throw off the tune??? I don't know.

I am familiar with dips and exhaust (back pressure). My Street Glide had CFR's and had a small dip at the beginning of the curve, but nothing like this.

About HPI...what can I say? They are the experts, not me..you live and learn. The exhaust probably works well on a stock bike.
can't say that's all the problem but that chit right thar needs to be right before any tuning gets done

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior

It's an interesting exhaust design, but having a collector that then goes to separate mufflers is a little head scracher. Would think it would be better with a true 2:1. D&D Billet Cat is a proven performer. I have that pipe with the same cam you are running on a 120 with great results.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM
hdrider1
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Also not a fan of target tune, sorry Jamie lol.
Ok, I'll bite. What's your concern with target tune?

Quick Reply: Opinions on this dyno tune...final tune dyno sheet included