Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:48 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

We just finished up a cam, exhaust, & tune on a 2017 CVO 114 bike this week, we used the Wood WM8-22x cam, Jackpot 2/1/2 and Jackpot Outlaw mufflers. We recently did the exact same combo to the same year/model bike, the only difference was Rinehart mufflers. Both combos turned out excellent, if you compare the charts the example with the Rineharts made the same horsepower but made about 3.5+ more torque, however if you compare the charts you can see the Jackpot's made about 10+ more torque below 2600 RPM and the curve is much flatter. Just another example on how mufflers affect the curve, both are great just depends on the power characteristics you are looking for.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the Bassani Crossover Eliminator and just had the Stage 2 torque cam installed. Am I leaving power on the table with just one slip-on? I have a chance to pick up some CFR slip-ons cheap, would there be a increase that’s worth the trouble?

Thanks to anyone that wants to chime in

Old 06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vonswanko
I have the Bassani Crossover Eliminator and just had the Stage 2 torque cam installed. Am I leaving power on the table with just one slip-on? I have a chance to pick up some CFR slip-ons cheap, would there be a increase that’s worth the trouble?

Thanks to anyone that wants to chime in
We would need to see a dyno sheet from your current setup as we have not seen great results deleting the crossover and running a single slip on muffler. Also note CFR mufflers are about the worst offenders on the market for robbing low RPM performance and response.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:13 PM
Vonswanko
Road Master

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We would need to see a dyno sheet from your current setup as we have not seen great results deleting the crossover and running a single slip on muffler. Also note CFR mufflers are about the worst offenders on the market for robbing low RPM performance and response.

So probably leave the CFRs alone and do a different set of slip-ons? Maybe I’ll get a pull made on the Dyno and see how the curve looks and then compare. I’m currently tuned with a FP3. And just have their canned map installed.

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 PM
cgaulzetti
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you guys think a RB Racing LSR ProStock 2-1 would perform? I know its **** backwards but I've always wanted one of these pipes and I'm building my Street Bob around it. I'm basically after performance at high revs close to red line and am certainly willing to sacrifice some torque down low or performance when the bike isn't in the gear it should be in as long as it isn't far worse than stock.

i'm thinking at this point, the RB Exhaust, a 124" big bore kit, whatever Cam my tuner recommends and whatever intake they like too- (I'm pretty sure it'll be an S&S)-

What's the best cam if you ARE looking for performance high in the rev-range, acceleration under full throttle, and basically like to ring your bike out and don't mind down shifting?

As an aside have any of you guys found 6th gear to be next to useless on our bikes? I mean unless you're worried about running out of gas on the highway I can't think of any reason I'd ever be in it.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:26 AM
jrpd45
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonswanko
So probably leave the CFRs alone and do a different set of slip-ons? Maybe I’ll get a pull made on the Dyno and see how the curve looks and then compare. I’m currently tuned with a FP3. And just have their canned map installed.

Thanks!
I have a 2017 Street Glide with S&S 475 cam CFR's and V&H Dresser Duals. I have not noticed any loss what so ever. My bike pulls great. Don't get caught up with the numbers game on paper. Just my experience with this set up. CFR'S in my opinion are the best sounding pipe I've heard. Again, that's just my 2 cents.

Ronbo1 (10-08-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Vonswanko
Road Master

Originally Posted by jrpd45
I have a 2017 Street Glide with S&S 475 cam CFR's and V&H Dresser Duals. I have not noticed any loss what so ever. My bike pulls great. Don't get caught up with the numbers game on paper. Just my experience with this set up. CFR'S in my opinion are the best sounding pipe I've heard. Again, that's just my 2 cents.
Thanks for that. I haven't noticed a power drop off with the one Bassani slip-on but just wonder if I'm leaving anything on the table because of it. I am going to get a dyno pull made just to see what the curve looks like. Then I will go from there. I don't want to spend money and effort for negligible gains. Theres to many other places to spend it,

Old 07-01-2019, 08:19 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by cgaulzetti
How do you guys think a RB Racing LSR ProStock 2-1 would perform? I know its **** backwards but I've always wanted one of these pipes and I'm building my Street Bob around it. I'm basically after performance at high revs close to red line and am certainly willing to sacrifice some torque down low or performance when the bike isn't in the gear it should be in as long as it isn't far worse than stock.

i'm thinking at this point, the RB Exhaust, a 124" big bore kit, whatever Cam my tuner recommends and whatever intake they like too- (I'm pretty sure it'll be an S&S)-

What's the best cam if you ARE looking for performance high in the rev-range, acceleration under full throttle, and basically like to ring your bike out and don't mind down shifting?

As an aside have any of you guys found 6th gear to be next to useless on our bikes? I mean unless you're worried about running out of gas on the highway I can't think of any reason I'd ever be in it.
We have not tested the RB LSR exhaust so I don't have first hand info and cannot speculate, however having built over a hundred M8 124/128" engines in various configurations you are going to want to talk to the engine builder first to determine what is a good fit for the combination you are considering; ask specific questions and for specific results before choosing or you may end up with components that don't play well together or worse a bike that is handed back to you that underperforms or with poor driveability.

Max Headflow (07-01-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor

Big open mufflers & baffles still don't work, the laws of physics have not changed. The image below is the same 124" Milwaukee-8 engine fully tuned (a day apart), the only difference is the mufflers which were swapped. Nearly identical peak numbers, however the throttle response on one is crisp and responsive, the other is soggy and limp feeling. In this example the customer was certain his mufflers would work and was willing to compromise and then change mufflers if necessary, so we did the build and then tuned it... twice. Now that we're in fall and getting ready for winter engine builds we can't stress the importance of exhaust choice enough, it will make or break the results of your combination. Set your build up for success!

The following 5 users liked this post by fuelmoto:
dcfatboy (10-08-2019), Dynamick (10-08-2019), Heatwave (10-08-2019), Max Headflow (10-08-2019), Oldskewl (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Mirroring exactly what Zipper's told me when they installed the Redshift 468 in my 2018 107. I installed the Khrome Werks slip-ons with baffles and decided to try the bike without them.. Huge mistake. Totally lost all low and mid-range pull. I reinstalled the small quiet baffles and the difference was like night and day By the way, if you have the $$$, I highly recommend everything about the Khrome Werks mufflers. Sound, build quality, all top notch.

Last edited by ekb55; 10-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
fuelmoto (10-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Performance & Dyno effects between mufflers on Milwaukee-8 engines *Dyno Tests Inside*