Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well $#it...I sumped this evening

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 01:51 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

So It looks like these M8s have a potential flaw that seems to show up more when ran at higher RPMs. So I guess the wise thing to do would be to run them easier and stay away from the limiter to try to limit the possibility of sumping (though it still may happen) or put the pump seal on and hope for the best. If that's not acceptable, then deal with the consequences or get a different bike.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
So It looks like these M8s have a potential flaw that seems to show up more when ran at higher RPMs. So I guess the wise thing to do would be to run them easier and stay away from the limiter to try to limit the possibility of sumping (though it still may happen) or put the pump seal on and hope for the best. If that's not acceptable, then deal with the consequences or get a different bike.
That's about right. Pretty sad when a brand new bike costing $20-45,000 can not be operated as it was designed to. Maybe the better approach would be for Harley to drop the "redline" on the tach to 3500 rpms. I suspect that would eliminate ALL reports of sumping completely.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
That's about right. Pretty sad when a brand new bike costing $20-45,000 can not be operated as it was designed to. Maybe the better approach would be for Harley to drop the "redline" on the tach to 3500 rpms. I suspect that would eliminate ALL reports of sumping completely.
I think this would take care of my problem, LoL

Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Can someone take a picture of the crankcase trigger if they have the misfortune of having to remove it. Would be helpful to those of us who have yet to sump have more confidence if we have to pull the trigger.

modified an old m/c saying......there are 2 kinds of M8 owners, those that have slumped and those that will sump.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
Can someone take a picture of the crankcase trigger if they have the misfortune of having to remove it. Would be helpful to those of us who have yet to sump have more confidence if we have to pull the trigger.

modified an old m/c saying......there are 2 kinds of M8 owners, those that have slumped and those that will sump.

Post #47

Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatwave
I agree it is sad. But I would rather take it a bit easier and keep the bike going down the road than sit around crying because my bikes in the shop with a fuked up motor. It's not like these things are performance machines anyway. No power and heavy as ****.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:37 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quik
Post #47
No....not what I mean. The procedure that has been discussed was remove the Allen head bolt and pull out the sensor/trigger. I took that to mean that there was something occupying the space immediately adjacent to the Allen bolt. Am I missing something? Do you drain the oil from the Allen bolt opening and then pull the sensor from the adjacent tubing material?

I really dont know. Hope to never have to find out.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
No....not what I mean. The procedure that has been discussed was remove the Allen head bolt and pull out the sensor/trigger. I took that to mean that there was something occupying the space immediately adjacent to the Allen bolt. Am I missing something? Do you drain the oil from the Allen bolt opening and then pull the sensor from the adjacent tubing material?

I really dont know. Hope to never have to find out.

3/16 allen bolt holds the sensor in, remove the bolt and pull the sensor down, when done push it back in and put allen bolt back.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 PM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
I agree it is sad. But I would rather take it a bit easier and keep the bike going down the road than sit around crying because my bikes in the shop with a fuked up motor. It's not like these things are performance machines anyway. No power and heavy as ****.
That may be for some. I don’t ride my RGU any different than I’ve ridden any other bike. If it breaks it breaks. So far, it is rock solid.

In early July I’m riding it from LA to central Maine, and back. Should be over 7k miles. I trust this bike totally.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Quik
3/16 allen bolt holds the sensor in, remove the bolt and pull the sensor down, when done push it back in and put allen bolt back.
Thx...that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Well $#it...I sumped this evening