Any reports of sumping on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
I already solved the sumping problem, I kept my twin cam
cool, and 99+% of the 1/2 million M8 owners that don't have sumping are happier than Hell they made the move from the outdated inferior TC to the much improved M8 engine

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwebb:
cmashark (06-27-2019), metalb00 (06-26-2019), Oz Dan (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:27 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts

[QUOTE=mjwebb;18334843]cool, and 99+% of the 1/2 million M8 owners that don't have sumping are happier than Hell they made the move from the outdated inferior TC to the much improved M8 engine[

Amen!!

Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Candler
Good to see another 'engineer' weighing in.
The engineers at the Motor Company who designed the Milwaukee 8 motor, and who have been trying to figure out the sumping problem, don't have the title Engineer in quotes.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:10 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Oh so you've already discovered the cause of sumping then?
Please tell.
It ain’t an oil filter issue son, design flaw with a couple points and a filter isn’t one of them.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
cool, and 99+% of the 1/2 million M8 owners that don't have sumping are happier than Hell they made the move from the outdated inferior TC to the much improved M8 engine
Less than a percent have sumping? Seems like a lot of pump revisions for such an insignificant number of bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
sgs18 (06-18-2019), Steel Wheels (06-27-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,543 Likes on 4,431 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Less than a percent have sumping? Seems like a lot of pump revisions for such an insignificant number of bikes.
well 1% would be a significant problem for an engine manufacturer meaning 1 out of every 100 engines had serious problems and would certainly warrant efforts to make changes to attempt to resolve..we can only speculate as the MOCO is the only one with the most accurate rate of failures....our dealership sponsors our HOG Chapter and I've been around many of these and rapidly approaching 3 years now I have zero knowledge of a single one having been afflicted by sumping so my personal experience with it is 0% failure rate...but sure, out of the 1/2 million ish M8s it's conceivable 5000 of them are having problems but the the vast majority don't and it's very much the exception not the rule..feel free to put your own numbers guesstimates together based on what you know personally

Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

well 1% would be a significant problem for an engine manufacturer meaning 1 out of every 100 engines had serious problems and would certainly warrant efforts to make changes to attempt to resolve..we can only speculate as the MOCO is the only one with the most accurate rate of failures....our dealership sponsors our HOG Chapter and I've been around many of these and rapidly approaching 3 years now I have zero knowledge of a single one having been afflicted by sumping so my personal experience with it is 0% failure rate...but sure, out of the 1/2 million ish M8s it's conceivable 5000 of them are having problems but the the vast majority don't and it's very much the exception not the rule..feel free to put your own numbers guesstimates together based on what you know personally
HOG chapter might not be the best pool of riders to base failure rate on.

100% of my M8's sumped. But not when riding with a local group or on poker runs and fund raisers. But take it out on the highway and run 85mph for a while and sure enough my 2018 Heritage did it. And you know what the service manager told me? It's that K&N oil filter, we've seen a lot of that, lol.

I can guess that many HD riders never ride their bikes hard enough to sump, but their bike would sump if ridden hard enough. That means to me that "failure rates" are meaningless. Just think how many two and four year old HD's have less than 5k miles on them. That's why Harley won't make a good bike, most bikes they build will make it to the end of the warranty period before they fail.

And no, you can't have my '14 Limited.

The following 2 users liked this post by r0de_runr:
saddlebag (06-18-2019), VDeuce (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Candler
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

So your bike sumped with a K&N oil filter?
If so, that answers my original question.
Was just trying to eliminate the possibility of some random manufacturing defect of HD oil filters could be a cause.
My 2019 RGU sumped at 1950 miles and it wasn't being ridden hard but it was under somewhat of a load on an 18 mile climb up to 8500 feet.
Dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong.
They adjusted the fluid levels, 46oz drained out of the primary and they installed a new primary vent kit.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 2,472 Posts

I didn't realize you did a customer satisfaction poll.

I dont need numbers and I wont guess like you but having a sticky dedicated to the engine's problems speaks volumes to me. And they do more than sump which would lead to owner dissatisfaction greater than your stat would suggest. Some bikes transfer, some consume oil, some blow blue smoke, most rattle, some sump, head gaskets have leaked, gears are failing here and there in the transmission and some lose countershafts. Harley neutering the engine output by detuning it with a revised map when its in for some other list of issues tells you everything is okay?

The TC in my opinion is a better engine than the M8 because its proven to be reliable. The fact they dont transfer or sump would be enough for me to stick with the TC and mine never rattled either. I sold my RK because 5 bikes is enough for now but I may end up with another because I do miss it. It'll be another TC no question.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,380 Likes on 2,233 Posts

My 2019 RGU sumped at 1950 miles and it wasn't being ridden hard but it was under somewhat of a load on an 18 mile climb up to 8500 feet.
Assuming you went to Mt Charleston, what gear and RPM did you make the pull up there?

Quick Reply: Any reports of sumping on bikes