Sponsored by:

H-D fan assisted oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 03:01 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default H-D fan assisted oil cooler

Does anyone know if this comes with a larger cooler? Or just a stock replacement? It’s 120 dollars more than the thundermax fan but it comes with a cooler. Going to order the thundermax one for my bike, was just wondering about the H-D one.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,624 Likes on 4,462 Posts

my OEM and HD Fan Assist appear to be identical dimensions

Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjwebb
my OEM and HD Fan Assist appear to be identical dimensions
Ok thanks, thundermax it is for me then. Did you notice any difference with it? I live north of Seattle and sometimes on trips I get stuck in traffic going through there so I wanted to get one of these before I do my 124 kit later this year. Ditching my cat and my factory tune has helped cool the engine a lot when I did it last year.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
Ok thanks, thundermax it is for me then. Did you notice any difference with it? I live north of Seattle and sometimes on trips I get stuck in traffic going through there so I wanted to get one of these before I do my 124 kit later this year. Ditching my cat and my factory tune has helped cool the engine a lot when I did it last year.
yeah, it was a no brainer add on accessory for me..wife's Freewheeler came with one OEM..supposed to lower oil temps up to 50 degrees..fan comes on each and every ride year round regardless of how cold it is out..especially useful for those of us that stick with conventional oil

Old 06-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I was actually thinking about switching back to conventional because my bike seems to be using oil now and I was reading the tech info on that fueling dipstick and it says they recommend you run conventional oil in the M8 because it reduces oil consumption and helps the rings stay sealed, so that’s good to know.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:21 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member

I was actually thinking about switching back to conventional because my bike seems to be using oil now and I was reading the tech info on that fueling dipstick and it says they recommend you run conventional oil in the M8 because it reduces oil consumption and helps the rings stay sealed, so that’s good to know.
yeah, don't know...just never used synthetics, keep it simple, what it came with and what they recommend has been good enough..never owned an oil temp gauge either..less is more and I don't like to fuss much..but the fan assist oil cooler is a great idea and got one immediately when I saw it available

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Moore (06-19-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Just Cruzin'
Tourer

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

@OP, Just wondering what this Thundermax fan is? I searched the Thundermax site and googled but could not find a Thundermax oil cooler fan. Do you have a link?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,752 Likes on 939 Posts

Does anyone know if this comes with a larger cooler? Or just a stock replacement? It’s 120 dollars more than the thundermax fan but it comes with a cooler. Going to order the thundermax one for my bike, was just wondering about the H-D one.
Just looking at the two on Outpost Alaska the main difference is the stock cooler has the mounting tabs on it and with the fan cooler the radiator clips to the fan and the fan has the mounting tabs on it. I disposed of my stock cooler so I don't have a reference, but I would bet you could remove the mounting tabs and use the stock cooler with the Harley fan (part #26800095 - $187.89 list price). The price from Goldstar is $142.84. Of course if it doesn't work the correct heat exchanger will cost $182.03. You can get the whole kit from Goldstar for $271.44. The only thing I could find on the Thundermax fan shows a fan mounted in what appears to be a plastic frame. I looked for mounting instructions and drew a blank, so if you proceed with the Thundermax please enlighten us on the how it mounts.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM
Just Cruzin'
Tourer

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I did exactly what you are thinking on my 2018 FLTRXS. Cutting off top tabs and mounting tabs on stock cooler and installing the modified fan assisted unit took about an hour. Sorry but no pics but it has been working well for a year. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by Just Cruzin'
@OP, Just wondering what this Thundermax fan is? I searched the Thundermax site and googled but could not find a Thundermax oil cooler fan. Do you have a link?
I don’t think they’ve officially released it yet. They sold them
on their Instagram page, you had to email them to get on a waiting list and they’d contact you when they had one ready for you at which point you could buy it, so I got one of the first ones, you just install it and have the dealer reflash.

Quick Reply: H-D fan assisted oil cooler