Sponsored by:

17 vs 18 vs 19 Street Glides?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:56 PM
Studlintsean
Road Warrior
Received 899 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
Well, I'm not in the market for a "new" bike at this time, the ones I'm looking at are all ballpark $18-19k. My fiance and I just closed on a house, so my budget really is set at $20k out the door. I feel like I've got two good options I'm looking at, low mileage (as new as I can find within my state), and hefty discounts off their showroom prices.

Primary Vent doesn't concern me too much, seems like something I could easily do myself with a 6 pack and friend
i have a 2019 with ABS and upgraded stereo and got it for just under $20k out the door. I would not write-off a new SG. Use the FY20s coming out as a selling point and let them know you are there to make a deal and willing to sign the paperwork if they can get you OTD for $20k. I think you can make it happen if you shop around a bit. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:29 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,795 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
No, dont let that scare you. First: ALL brands have issues. Second, the odds of you having sumping, whileit does happen, is still very small considering the amount of M8's on the road. There are many more here that have had zero issues and are just enjoying their bikes.
I've been ignoring most of what's said on forums for the better part of 12 years, so I'm sure I'll get over it!
I imagine it's a lot like any BMW forum I've ever been on; all horror stories from people trying to find help. All the other people are out enjoying their rides

Originally Posted by Studlintsean
i have a 2019 with ABS and upgraded stereo and got it for just under $20k out the door. I would not write-off a new SG. Use the FY20s coming out as a selling point and let them know you are there to make a deal and willing to sign the paperwork if they can get you OTD for $20k. I think you can make it happen if you shop around a bit. Good luck.
Where do people find these deals? Honestly, I'd be willing to travel a couple states for that kind of deal. My local dealer has an '18 with 2332 miles and their best price is $19,696. A couple other 18's at just under $19k.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 03:38 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan...
Well, I'm not in the market for a "new" bike at this time, the ones I'm looking at are all ballpark $18-19k. My fiance and I just closed on a house, so my budget really is set at $20k out the door. I feel like I've got two good options I'm looking at, low mileage (as new as I can find within my state), and hefty discounts off their showroom prices.

Primary Vent doesn't concern me too much, seems like something I could easily do myself with a 6 pack and a friend

First two comments saying ABS is a must.. For some reason I didn't expect that, I know it's a good tool to have, but I've been riding for 14 years without it so I guess I assumed it wasn't needed! But, anything that improves safety is probably worth having
Or a new leftover 2019 Road King in 2020..

Old 06-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Silentgreyfellow
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 on the ABS. I would buy any year of the m8 and not worry about it. Get the one that fits your budget and needs best.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:21 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 527 Posts

A couple of things...
ABS - must have for me. You never know when you’ll grab the brake in an emergency and find yourself in a slide without ABS. It happened to me once and that was enough. Also a friend and I were riding and the light changed quick. I stopped (with ABS) he stopped without ABS, after locking it up and ended up in the middle of the intersection.
I’ve had a ‘17, ‘18 and now a ‘19 - total about 18k miles zero issues. Could summing happen? Does it happen? Sure but can’t worry about it. Buy it, ride it and enjoy it.
i wouldn’t worry about the ‘17 if you can verify service.
I really like the touchscreen and wouldn’t buy a bike without it.
If you are financing HD is offering reduced rates on both new and used bikes. You can check the HD website for financing specials.

Good Luck with your decision, enjoy your new bike (and house)

Old 06-28-2019, 09:42 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Or a new leftover 2019 Road King in 2020..
For this bike I definitely want a fairing/radio and cruise given how I intend to use it. I love the looks of the Road Kings, but I still have my dad's old Shovelhead to play with if I want a more "open road" experience

Originally Posted by Silentgreyfellow
+1 on the ABS. I would buy any year of the m8 and not worry about it. Get the one that fits your budget and needs best.
Good to hear!

Originally Posted by Mofo67
A couple of things...
ABS - must have for me. You never know when you’ll grab the brake in an emergency and find yourself in a slide without ABS. It happened to me once and that was enough. Also a friend and I were riding and the light changed quick. I stopped (with ABS) he stopped without ABS, after locking it up and ended up in the middle of the intersection.
I’ve had a ‘17, ‘18 and now a ‘19 - total about 18k miles zero issues. Could summing happen? Does it happen? Sure but can’t worry about it. Buy it, ride it and enjoy it.
i wouldn’t worry about the ‘17 if you can verify service.
I really like the touchscreen and wouldn’t buy a bike without it.
If you are financing HD is offering reduced rates on both new and used bikes. You can check the HD website for financing specials.

Good Luck with your decision, enjoy your new bike (and house)
Thanks!
Well, I've been convinced, ABS will be on the new bike. My coworker and good friend has a new Street Glide and he told me the same thing.

I think I'll go test ride the '17 tomorrow, see what kind of history they have on it, then make my decision.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:12 PM
TroubledWine
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I used to ride a Busa with no back brake and 1 front brake and I'll say this...I have adored the ABS on '11 since the first time it saved me from something bad.

RGS88 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:38 AM
SomeOld Biker
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

"I think I'll go test ride the '17 tomorrow, see what kind of history they have on it, then make my decision."

Be prepared to buy, it only took me about 5 min into the test ride and I was sold!

dwagar (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 05:31 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SomeOld Biker
"I think I'll go test ride the '17 tomorrow, see what kind of history they have on it, then make my decision."

Be prepared to buy, it only took me about 5 min into the test ride and I was sold!
It doesn't help that I have my coworker whispering in my ear all night about how I should buy it.

I'm pretty pumped, really hoping it doesn't sell before I can make it out there!

Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 AM
Oz Dan
Tourer
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Going 2nd hand, I reckon any year M8, be it a 17, 18, or 19, is a good bet given you look over it, ride it, fall in love with it.......service history is something you want to see. Riding the bike, feeling how it shifts, listening to it, having a good close look over it.... you’ll work it out. Sounds like you’ve found one you like which is great....

Good luck and enjoy the hell out of it!

Last edited by Oz Dan; 06-29-2019 at 06:23 AM.
RGS88 (06-29-2019)

Quick Reply: 17 vs 18 vs 19 Street Glides?