Took bike to dealer for sumping check

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,763 Likes on 5,251 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
When was this determined? And by who?

Not disbelieving but after 2+ years and countless threads and TSB's I hadn't heard anything like this from the moco.

Thanks
Check the facts and not the BS on the net. The net is not about truth but hype. Sumping is excess oil going where it should not. Yes some oil pump issue have caused it . When the oilers are not sealed /tightened as they should be the leak that oil ends up in the sump.
I know of a few that have been repaired under warranty.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Yeah, no.

I built my 120 with 1 mile on the bike, replaced the piston oiler gaskets with Cometic, handled the screw threads, used loctite and torqued to spec. Then installed cylinders and pistons that were accurately measured and it still sumped. Subsequent installation of the Feuling pump and plate solved it for me and has been the cure for 12k miles.

The assertion that the oilers are the sole reason for sumping is false.

Actual experience trumps theory every time.

The following users liked this post:
Ceez (02-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Yeah, no.

I built my 120 with 1 mile on the bike, replaced the piston oiler gaskets with Cometic, handled the screw threads, used loctite and torqued to spec. Then installed cylinders and pistons that were accurately measured and it still sumped. Subsequent installation of the Feuling pump and plate solved it for me and has been the cure for 12k miles.

The assertion that the oilers are the sole reason for sumping is false.

Actual experience trumps theory every time.
So what do you think is different on the Fueling pump and plate over the HD pump/sealing plate...anything obvious that you noticed between the two?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Check the facts and not the BS on the net. The net is not about truth but hype. Sumping is excess oil going where it should not. Yes some oil pump issue have caused it . When the oilers are not sealed /tightened as they should be the leak that oil ends up in the sump.
I know of a few that have been repaired under warranty.
And where would those facts be found? Not all dealers are forthcoming with the truth. The moco certainly isn't sharing. And as hattitude pointed out, there have been reports of sumping on bikes that have been "repaired" using a variety of "fixes".
My question was whether or not the bad seating of the oilers' bolts had been identified as "the" cause of sumping. To my knowledge it has not. Of course my sources toward that conclusion are like everyone elses, which is anecdotal "evidence" from the only places available to most of us, which comes from other owners.

hattitude (08-23-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:12 AM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by bradsULtd
So what do you think is different on the Fueling pump and plate over the HD pump/sealing plate...anything obvious that you noticed between the two?
It has a larger scavenge gerotor, but perhaps it is the enlarged passages between the pump and plate. The other thing that might help is the higher quality aluminum and tolerances that may help when things heat up.

I recall talking with Frank Drago about the stock twin cam plates having excessive leakage, so perhaps it plays a role.

While not certain why, all I can tell you is it solved my problem.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:15 AM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
It has a larger scavenge gerotor, but perhaps it is the enlarged passages between the pump and plate. The other thing that might help is the higher quality aluminum and tolerances that may help when things heat up.

I recall talking with Frank Drago about the stock twin cam plates having excessive leakage, so perhaps it plays a role.

While not certain why, all I can tell you is it solved my problem.
Ok thanks...just curious....

Old 08-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
To fix the cause of sumping they engine must be torn down. It is caused by the oilers not being full seated due to the holes not being full tapped . When they do not seat they leak oil builds up in sump.
Not always.... In my case I had 3 M8 117 stage 4s that sumped. Each time the oilers were checked and they were properly seated and within the torque specifications. In my 3 sumped engines the oilers were NOT leaking.

Last edited by Heatwave; 08-18-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Junker
My 19 is in the shop at the moment. Dealer confirmed sumping. Has all the latest and greatest updates from MOCO. Has heat damage on several parts. Waiting on Harley MoCo to decide on repairing mine or sending a new engine.
Which 2019 M8 engine do you have? Is it factory stock or has it been upgraded?

bradsULtd (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:21 PM
southerncannuck
Cruiser
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
Queue Heatwave in 5...4...3...2...1?
What is that? A form of menopause?

Last edited by southerncannuck; 08-18-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 PM
sjoko
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

..... an intrigant in an attempt trying to get people by his side , for committing a form of character murder = a nasty habit that often occurs on forums....

This kind of behaviour does not suit to bikers.
It's better to leave everyone in their own value....

Last edited by sjoko; 08-20-2019 at 11:35 PM.
saddlebag (09-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Took bike to dealer for sumping check