Sponsored by:

Header Difference And Quality Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 05:49 AM
High Sierra
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Header Difference And Quality Question

I have a 2017 Ultra Limited which I'm about to do a Stage 2 on. (I've already done Stage 1 with AC, slip ons, and PV) I have a cam, adjustable pushrods, gaskets, and a the new oil pump all waiting for the job. I've been thinking about adding a header when I do the job but I'm looking for an inexpensive option. I've looked at just about all the brands on the market and I see that there's a substantial price difference between different manufactures models which all look very similar to the the OEM header in design.
My question is, why are models like the Supertrapp and the Firebrand priced several hundred dollars less than the better known brands even though they look essentially like the same design structurally? Are they "cheaper" in construction somehow, i.e. thinner gauge metal, poorer welds, or cheaper plating?
I don't want to go over about $400 for a head pipe and either of these models seem like a they should work fine as long as they're not made out of substandard materials or have some other shortcoming.
Thoughts and comments appreciated.
And yes, I know I can decat my stock head pipe but I'd rather just buy a new one and keep my original intact in case I ever sell the bike.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:20 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,970 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Look at Fullsac MX head pipe or now his MX sport head pipe. Those are well thought out head pipes, bring on more torque down low where you ride and are very well made. I have his head pipes on my 2013 CVO and my 19 CVO.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 AM
Friedenfels
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the 2-1-2 stainless from Fuelmoto - you resuse your stock heat shields, although the pipe is stunning as is......don't remember exactly what I paid for it since I snagged it during the Xmas sale, but their dyno tests show a 5hp/5ft lb increase with the cam and pipe combination I'm using.....YMMV. Their header pipe looks/feels really well made - don't think you could go wrong with it.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 AM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a SuperTrapp on my ‘11 until the a$$hole cut me off and totaled it. Was very happy with the sound and performance. No Dyna runs to verify the performance though.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by High Sierra
I have a 2017 Ultra Limited which I'm about to do a Stage 2 on. (I've already done Stage 1 with AC, slip ons, and PV) I have a cam, adjustable pushrods, gaskets, and a the new oil pump all waiting for the job. I've been thinking about adding a header when I do the job but I'm looking for an inexpensive option. I've looked at just about all the brands on the market and I see that there's a substantial price difference between different manufactures models which all look very similar to the the OEM header in design.
My question is, why are models like the Supertrapp and the Firebrand priced several hundred dollars less than the better known brands even though they look essentially like the same design structurally? Are they "cheaper" in construction somehow, i.e. thinner gauge metal, poorer welds, or cheaper plating?
I don't want to go over about $400 for a head pipe and either of these models seem like a they should work fine as long as they're not made out of substandard materials or have some other shortcoming.
Thoughts and comments appreciated.
And yes, I know I can decat my stock head pipe but I'd rather just buy a new one and keep my original intact in case I ever sell the bike.

It comes down to the overall header design, features, construction, warranty, etc.. We carry most popular brands and offer our own Jackpot head pipes for the 17-later FLH models in three different configurations:
  • Jackpot 2/1/2 which is built from 304 stainless, it has a true merge collector, it has dual 12mm & 18mm O2 bungs, machined from billet collars, and a lifetime warranty. Works with the stock heat shields & crossover.
  • Jackpot XXX our hi output pipe for motors over 130+Hp, it has much larger primaries & collector as well as a 2" crossover. Also built from 304 stainless, dual 12mm & 18mm O2 bungs, machined from billet collars, and a lifetime warranty. Uses stock heat shields.
  • Jackpot SP our value priced head pipe, it's built from mild steel with nickel plating, formed collars, 2 year warranty. Uses stock heat shields & crossover.
Each of our Jackpot pipes are made in the USA and they are proven performers. You can find extensive dyno charts for these and other pipes in assorted applications on the FM University website

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (04-25-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:59 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Agree with the above comment about the Supertrapp sound on my 2011 Fatboy however the chrome kept peeling like an onion. ST replaced all of the pieces without any fuss and after 3 or so exchanges I pulled the pipe and installed a D&D Fatcat. Bad chrome-good service.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain

Fuelmoto, I read the FM XXX has 2” primaries; is this basically a 2 step header; 1.75-2”?

Old 04-21-2020, 01:55 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Originally Posted by woodreaux
Fuelmoto, I read the FM XXX has 2” primaries; is this basically a 2 step header; 1.75-2”?
Yes, it's a stepped 1.75" to 2.0" primary

Old 04-21-2020, 02:51 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain

Thank you for the confirmation.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:56 PM
High Sierra
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate the feedback and info so far. I wonder if anybody could comment on the gauge of the metal used in the "name brands" as opposed to the "off brands?" Is that how they sell them at a lower cost, some in the low $300 range? I see that the Firebrand (which I never heard of until recently) says on their website that they're made in the USA (which I really like), so it's not a case of them using cheap overseas labor. Has anyone on the forum used the Firebrand header, or do you know somebody who's tried one. I'd be willing to give one a try if I could get some feedback from a member who gave one a go. I see that they can be had on some of the discount sites for a really good price, but I also know that sometimes "you get what you pay for", which means a bargain isn't always cheaper in the long run.

Quick Reply: Header Difference And Quality Question