M8 cam and exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyhawgrider
You close to sheffer?
Not that far, lol. Will be be in touch with him soon.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:57 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
You can DO what ever you want. I wish I could convey how much happier you will be with aftermarket parts. If you are worried about possibly spending money on a repair that might be warrantable, then you damn sure are not going to want to spend money on a camshaft and tune after the warranty expires to replace the one you already spent money on to keep Harley happy
It is a personal choice. For those of us that tour a lot it is a big deal to know if you break down on the road that some rouge dealer is not going to give you **** about aftermarket parts. Adding the Harley cam is not expensive. The Adjustable push-rods, mufflers, air cleaners and other parts will be re-used if you want to make a change later.

I did something similar with my road king when I went to a stage 2 while it was still a 96" while saving up for my big bore. When I went big bore I sold the cams and reused the rest of the parts from the stage 2 with the stage 4 upgrade.

The following users liked this post:
Wolf Harley (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 07:19 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,701 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
It is a personal choice. For those of us that tour a lot it is a big deal to know if you break down on the road that some rouge dealer is not going to give you **** about aftermarket parts. Adding the Harley cam is not expensive. The Adjustable push-rods, mufflers, air cleaners and other parts will be re-used if you want to make a change later.

I did something similar with my road king when I went to a stage 2 while it was still a 96" while saving up for my big bore. When I went big bore I sold the cams and reused the rest of the parts from the stage 2 with the stage 4 upgrade.
I get that, and your points are totally valid. My scenario was based on an assumption (may not be valid) that the OP was not a wrench turner, and was not going to want to spend the same money twice. I see guys wanting the performance, and the satisfaction of spending money on a solid upgrade, but don't because they are afraid of the worst case scenario, and not having warranty.

I get it. I have been there, far too often. My post was based on watching a couple of friends spend money on the HD upgrades to keep warranty, not be happy with it through that 2 years, and then usually trade it off because they don't want to spend more money on a bike they weren't happy with.
I just want OP to be happy, truly

Wolf Harley (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 AM
Wolf Harley
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

I do alot of long riding trips and the warranty does mean alot to me. I do understand that its my bike and I can do what ever I want to it, but I want that piece of mind if I'm out in the middle of no where and something goes wrong Harley has to fix it. But after 5 years I will build up the 114....

Old 08-23-2020, 07:29 AM
Wolf Harley
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Picked up bike Wednesday

So here is what I had done. Went with a stage 2 kit with the torque cam. Had the 450 vance and hines slip on installed. Fuel pack and some mini apes installed. The torque cam did wake the bike up alittle. Had them tune and dyno the bike. 98 HP and 117 ft lbs torque. I know I can get more out of the M8 but I will wait till my warranty is over.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf Harley
So here is what I had done. Went with a stage 2 kit with the torque cam. Had the 450 vance and hines slip on installed. Fuel pack and some mini apes installed. The torque cam did wake the bike up alittle. Had them tune and dyno the bike. 98 HP and 117 ft lbs torque. I know I can get more out of the M8 but I will wait till my warranty is over.

The warranty police that patrol here will be along shortly to explain that you have already voided your warranty.......

Old 08-23-2020, 09:03 AM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,788 Likes on 4,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
The warranty police that patrol here will be along shortly to explain that you have already voided your warranty.......
I believe that honor just went to you!

Old 08-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
I believe that honor just went to you!
I said they would be along to "explain" I did not explain, lol. I am definitely not the warranty police because there is always a way around that regardless of what you do to your bike, and that is all truth!

mjwebb (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 11:21 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Wish you luck on warranty.im sure your Dealer will keep you under warranty with them.
Out on the road it may be a crap shot.
me I blowed my warranty in the first month of having my bike,I was ok with it,I work on my own and I sure I could fix it.
As long as your happy,that’s all that counts.

tberg725 (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:48 PM
tberg725
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rdc401
Wish you luck on warranty.im sure your Dealer will keep you under warranty with them.
Out on the road it may be a crap shot.
me I blowed my warranty in the first month of having my bike,I was ok with it,I work on my own and I sure I could fix it.
As long as your happy,that’s all that counts.
I told them they can keep their warranty when I bought my bike currently have a 636v air cleaner, tab slip ons, power vision tuner and my bike beats my buddy's bike who is stage 2 with their "torque" cam lol it's worth it to bail on the warranty and build the bike the right way the first time

Ronbo1 (08-27-2020)

Quick Reply: M8 cam and exhaust question