Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big bore kit with lowers on a SGS no bueno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 05:34 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

Can't find it, but there is a topic around here which had posts yesterday, with quotes and links the DKCustoms site, on the subject of reducing heat. IIRC the DKC site suggests a 10-15F increase with lowers, but also a 10-15F reduction with a tank lift. As a 124" will produce more heat, perhaps keep the lowers but do a tank lift? There were other suggestions on there.

The topic was either in this area, Softail 18+, or the General HD Chat section.

The following users liked this post:
marshallb (09-19-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 10:26 AM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 482 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart
Can't find it, but there is a topic around here which had posts yesterday, with quotes and links the DKCustoms site, on the subject of reducing heat. IIRC the DKC site suggests a 10-15F increase with lowers, but also a 10-15F reduction with a tank lift. As a 124" will produce more heat, perhaps keep the lowers but do a tank lift? There were other suggestions on there.

The topic was either in this area, Softail 18+, or the General HD Chat section.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...cl-tc-dn-2.htm

The following users liked this post:
Mart (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Wmitz
Road Captain
Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Have a look at DK Customs. I am running the 1.5” deluxe tank lift with the cooling deflector wings. They help deliver more air for better cooling. DK also has a remote oil filter and oil cooler setup for most bikes. Watch the videos they have. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
There are several around here that have not been able to run lowers with the stage 4 builds or drop in cams. The ones that go on to the 128's and 124 with high flow exhaust and well built combinations can run them in the winter but do no work in Summer or above about 65 degrees if you run above 70 for extended time. Look at the harley line up of touring bikes 17 up and only the Wet heads have lowers. Even the 20 CVO SGS don't have lowers as they are Oil/Air. Got couple of 17/18 CVO's which are 128's with lowers and no heat issues, but they are Twin cooled Wet Heads. If you monitor the head temp in heat with the lowers on Oil/Air they will hit 370 with lowers which I think is little warm. Like to shoot for 360 max. The 128/131 come with Fan Assist on the Oil cooler also. That would definitely help.
🙄

I have a 124 with heads and everything, like I said, 99 degrees where I was riding Friday, thing runs 80mph in the desert no problem, I’m running lowers with the dk wings and the twin cooled grills. Yeah it’s running hot, but it doesn’t seem to care. You don’t feel any extra heat at speed. I even called FM and asked about it after I got my 124 done, bob told me go for it, the M8s manage heat way better than the TCs. Unless those people you’re referring to are running lean emissions legal tune ups and have cats still, but if you have a 124 you shouldn’t have either of those things.

I will say in 2-3 years when I get a new bike I will get a wet head, I love having a trunk and lowers

Old 09-08-2020, 03:11 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 419 Likes on 292 Posts

What might give me concern is the heat may break the engine oil down quicker. The effects of that would maybe take a while to appear. Don't know if it's dealt with by more frequent oil changes?

Old 09-09-2020, 05:36 AM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

I talked to the builder again. He said that I could try running the lowers, but that I should not be surprised when the rear head pipe is glowing red after a ride. I trust the guy I think he knows what he's talking about, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think I'll give it a try and decide from there.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:04 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Originally Posted by marshallb
I talked to the builder again. He said that I could try running the lowers, but that I should not be surprised when the rear head pipe is glowing red after a ride. I trust the guy I think he knows what he's talking about, but it's an unfortunate situation. I think I'll give it a try and decide from there.
🤣😆 yeah ok, if the head pipe is hot enough to glow red it needs some more fuel added to the map or some more advance in it. Your engine will run slightly warmer but the only time you’ll feel it is sitting at a red light, it’s not a big deal. I don’t mean to **** on your builder, but he’s 100% wrong on this and I would consider going elsewhere if possible.

Unless it’s consistently 85+ degrees where you live you’ll be fine. If it’s 80-85 on average all summer I’d probably just remove them during the hot part of summer. Where I live it’s usually mid 75-80 during summer, occasionally get to 85-90 for a couple days here and there, and it is not a problem at all.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:44 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,762 Likes on 3,141 Posts

Man, you have actual owners here with big bores, and lowers telling you it will work.
Glowing red header? You have got to be shitting me.
I wish Jamie from Fuel Moto, the S&S rep, Scott from Hillside, or Steve Cole would see this thread, and weigh in for you.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:59 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
Unless it’s consistently 85+ degrees where you live you’ll be fine. If it’s 80-85 on average all summer I’d probably just remove them during the hot part of summer. Where I live it’s usually mid 75-80 during summer, occasionally get to 85-90 for a couple days here and there, and it is not a problem at all.
I live in Indiana the biggest part of riding season is 90+F.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I live in Indiana the biggest part of riding season is 90+F.
i would probably choose not to run them during the summer months if that’s the case, you can give it a try and see what you think, you’ll feel the heat when you’re stopped but it’s not like instantly gonna overheat and wreck the motor 🤣

Quick Reply: Big bore kit with lowers on a SGS no bueno?