Sponsored by:

Factory 131 vs custom built

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 06:27 AM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by georgew
here's a 143 that looks like a fun ride.
dayum!!!

Old 09-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
The bold is key. Everything has to match to get great results.

Joe knows what he is talking about
Unfortunately not too many people do that and some of these shops will just bolt up what ever the customer wants, building an engine is like baking, if one of the ingredients is off, your product will not come out right.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironworker69:
cvosjoe (09-18-2020), FLSTFI Dave (09-22-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 12:54 AM
rocknride71
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Damn son!

I'd need to wear depends while riding a bike with this combo. I'd be shitting myself non stop while riding w/ that kind of power.

Originally Posted by GEORGEW
Here's a 143 that looks like a fun ride.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:03 AM
AbitNutz
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where do you guys with 12.1 and 11.4 compression ratio and/or 187hp get gas to run your bikes on? I really would like this incredible hp, who wouldn't? But can bikes with these numbers realistically be every day bikes and cross country rides? I'm not saying it's not possible to ride a bike with a 12.1 compression ratio and 180 plus horse power cross country but I would think there would be issues.

Is there a practical HP limit for reliability and everyday use? Where do you think that is?

Old 09-21-2020, 03:36 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,457 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by AbitNutz
Where do you guys with 12.1 and 11.4 compression ratio and/or 187hp get gas to run your bikes on? I really would like this incredible hp, who wouldn't? But can bikes with these numbers realistically be every day bikes and cross country rides? I'm not saying it's not possible to ride a bike with a 12.1 compression ratio and 180 plus horse power cross country but I would think there would be issues.

Is there a practical HP limit for reliability and everyday use? Where do you think that is?
YES, there are practical limits but when chasing HP numbers those pretty much go out the window. To get to 143 cu in you need a 4.5" bore and a 4.5" stroke. The cases will not support a 4.5" bore as supplied so you have to bore the cases out to accept the larger cylinder which make it such that you run out of space between the bottom of the cylinders. This means you cut the bottom of the cylinders shorter and have to notch the pistons for clearance. All of this reduces reliability and durability but is just fine for racing. Then you have to relocate the piston oilers as they are in the way and many now are just removing them which further reduces reliability and durability. The transmissions are having a hard time holding up at 130- 140 ft lbs already and people are having failures with clutches as well.
So this type of build IMHO isn't a street friendly high mileage build, but a race build.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:37 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,970 Likes on 2,358 Posts

My 19 CVO is 30 inch at 12.1 to 1. I have over 15,000 miles on the build. Cam and compression have to be a good match. My CCP is very close to stock. I run 93 octane with no issue or ping. I have even rode in AR Boston Mountains and Ozarks on 89 octane with no issue, rode it hard but not beating on it. Built this bike to travel on, 6.5 months I have put the 15,K miles on.

My 2013 CVO King is 11.4 to 1. I have lots of miles on the build. It runs fine on 93 octane no ethanol gas, over 95 degrees out and I have to be careful. I will not ride it west of Mississippi River as I know it would ping or detonate on 89 octane gas. I built this bike as a local hot rod, where I knew I could get ethanol free 93 gas.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:32 AM
AbitNutz
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 19 CVO is 30 inch at 12.1 to 1. I have over 15,000 miles on the build. Cam and compression have to be a good match. My CCP is very close to stock. I run 93 octane with no issue or ping. I have even rode in AR Boston Mountains and Ozarks on 89 octane with no issue, rode it hard but not beating on it. Built this bike to travel on, 6.5 months I have put the 15,K miles on.

My 2013 CVO King is 11.4 to 1. I have lots of miles on the build. It runs fine on 93 octane no ethanol gas, over 95 degrees out and I have to be careful. I will not ride it west of Mississippi River as I know it would ping or detonate on 89 octane gas. I built this bike as a local hot rod, where I knew I could get ethanol free 93 gas.
12.1 to 1 on 93 octane!! That is incredible. I was looking at your build and your using power vision electronics. I would have bet you have been using Thunder Max. Did I miss it? What pistons are you using?

Old 09-23-2020, 05:20 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,970 Likes on 2,358 Posts

12.1 to 1 on 93 octane!! That is incredible. I was looking at your build and your using power vision electronics. I would have bet you have been using Thunder Max. Did I miss it? What pistons are you using?
I use the tuner the guy doing the tuning prefers. Pistons a Mahle. Heads were milled to get desired compression.

Compression your able to run depends on cam, many M8 cams cant handle this much compression and you would ping like crazy.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,457 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I use the tuner the guy doing the tuning prefers. Pistons a Mahle. Heads were milled to get desired compression.

Compression your able to run depends on cam, many M8 cams cant handle this much compression and you would ping like crazy.
Sure would be nice if we could get that fuel out west here and the cooler climate too. It's like anything else in this world, a little give and take. What works for those who care to take care of it and not abuse it will never last for those who fire it up and twist the throttle never warming the engine before they ride. Learn your bike and treat it right and they will typically treat you right. Having the power to use at the right time and not abuse it, plays a much bigger role in how well it's going to last too.

The following users liked this post:
GlidingJoe (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:40 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Good advice!
Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Sure would be nice if we could get that fuel out west here and the cooler climate too. It's like anything else in this world, a little give and take. What works for those who care to take care of it and not abuse it will never last for those who fire it up and twist the throttle never warming the engine before they ride. Learn your bike and treat it right and they will typically treat you right. Having the power to use at the right time and not abuse it, plays a much bigger role in how well it's going to last too.

Quick Reply: Factory 131 vs custom built