Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Milwaukee Eight (M8) (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8-198/)
-   -   Decatting stock headers (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1354588-decatting-stock-headers.html)

teedoff65 12-19-2020 02:10 PM

Decatting stock headers

For those of you that have decatted your headers, how important is it to grind down the crossover piece that sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch?

Bought a carbide grinding stone but doesn't seem to work very well. What did you use if it does need to be ground down?

I thought I read here that you need to grind it down for proper flow.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Fddk 12-20-2020 11:03 AM

When I did mine I didn’t bother. I’m no expert but the M8 likes a little back pressure any ways. I suppose it does affect flow a bit. With the MK 45 mufflers and baffles, a Fuel Moto map the bike runs great with a lot less felt heat.

teedoff65 12-20-2020 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fddk (Post 19611878)
When I did mine I didn’t bother. I’m no expert but the M8 likes a little back pressure any ways. I suppose it does affect flow a bit. With the MK 45 mufflers and baffles, a Fuel Moto map the bike runs great with a lot less felt heat.

Thanks. For now I'm running the SE tq cam and outlaw mufflers. Wanted to do the headers and see if i gain any sound with the se cam. At the very least I can get rid of some heat on my right leg. Eventually ill do a decent cam and tuner.

Cool thanks. I think I'll leave it as is and install sometime this week.

Fddk 12-20-2020 05:46 PM

Does sound deeper and a little louder. I’m putting in the WM822X cam this winter. Can’t wait to see how it goes then, heard good things.

AmericanClassicMotors 12-20-2020 09:13 PM

Honestly after the cost of time and material, it's much more cost effective and practical to get a decatted header like the Bassani or Supertrapp. They can be had very reasonably and use the stock heatshields etc. This and an air cleaner will make a noticeable difference in sound and power for under $500.

teedoff65 12-20-2020 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanClassicMotors (Post 19613067)
Honestly after the cost of time and material, it's much more cost effective and practical to get a decatted header like the Bassani or Supertrapp. They can be had very reasonably and use the stock heatshields etc. This and an air cleaner will make a noticeable difference in sound and power for under $500.

ummm no it cost me about 20 bucks to decat my headers....20 bucks versus 300 to 500.....seems way more practical with my math.

RGS88 12-21-2020 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by teedoff65 (Post 19613090)
ummm no it cost me about 20 bucks to decat my headers....20 bucks versus 300 to 500.....seems way more practical with my math.

Exactly.

I bought my decatted header off Facebook Marketplace for $40, would've done it myself but I wanted to keep the stock header/cat in case I ever need it for a warranty situation... Lots of options on eBay as well for $100-150 shipped.

$tonecold 12-21-2020 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by teedoff65 (Post 19610323)
For those of you that have decatted your headers, how important is it to grind down the crossover piece that sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch?

Bought a carbide grinding stone but doesn't seem to work very well. What did you use if it does need to be ground down?

I thought I read here that you need to grind it down for proper flow.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

If you still want to grind it down, a long shank burr bit will do the trick. I think I paid about $30 for the one I bought.

How important is it? I did it because Steve Cole said it makes for less disruption of flow into the the crossover and maybe I imagine in the right side exhaust. I guess the stub sticking up will cause turbulence. Just how much flow goes into the crossover I don't know. If you still want to do it, $30 and about 15 minutes.

GlidingJoe 12-21-2020 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by AmericanClassicMotors (Post 19613067)

American Classic Motor’s, you have been a member since 2008, 65 posts and now your hitting all the threads with sales pitches and BIG Ass Ads.... come on now!!!!

teedoff65 12-21-2020 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan... (Post 19613306)
Exactly.

I bought my decatted header off Facebook Marketplace for $40, would've done it myself but I wanted to keep the stock header/cat in case I ever need it for a warranty situation... Lots of options on eBay as well for $100-150 shipped.

Well I had the stock headers from my 17 when I bought FM headers. So decatted them a few months ago with the anticipation of adding them to my new bike after putting some miles on the SE stage 2 set up.

Originally Posted by $tonecold (Post 19613451)
If you still want to grind it down, a long shank burr bit will do the trick. I think I paid about $30 for the one I bought.

How important is it? I did it because Steve Cole said it makes for less disruption of flow into the the crossover and maybe I imagine in the right side exhaust. I guess the stub sticking up will cause turbulence. Just how much flow goes into the crossover I don't know. If you still want to do it, $30 and about 15 minutes.

Thanks, I may grab one and give it a try. I'd hate to get them on and regret not doing it. lol