Sponsored by:

Decatting stock headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 02:10 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Default Decatting stock headers

For those of you that have decatted your headers, how important is it to grind down the crossover piece that sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch?

Bought a carbide grinding stone but doesn't seem to work very well. What did you use if it does need to be ground down?

I thought I read here that you need to grind it down for proper flow.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:03 AM
Fddk
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

When I did mine I didn’t bother. I’m no expert but the M8 likes a little back pressure any ways. I suppose it does affect flow a bit. With the MK 45 mufflers and baffles, a Fuel Moto map the bike runs great with a lot less felt heat.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:25 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fddk
When I did mine I didn’t bother. I’m no expert but the M8 likes a little back pressure any ways. I suppose it does affect flow a bit. With the MK 45 mufflers and baffles, a Fuel Moto map the bike runs great with a lot less felt heat.
Thanks. For now I'm running the SE tq cam and outlaw mufflers. Wanted to do the headers and see if i gain any sound with the se cam. At the very least I can get rid of some heat on my right leg. Eventually ill do a decent cam and tuner.

Cool thanks. I think I'll leave it as is and install sometime this week.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Fddk
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Does sound deeper and a little louder. I’m putting in the WM822X cam this winter. Can’t wait to see how it goes then, heard good things.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 PM
AmericanClassicMotors
Former Sponsor
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly after the cost of time and material, it's much more cost effective and practical to get a decatted header like the Bassani or Supertrapp. They can be had very reasonably and use the stock heatshields etc. This and an air cleaner will make a noticeable difference in sound and power for under $500.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:35 PM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by AmericanClassicMotors
Honestly after the cost of time and material, it's much more cost effective and practical to get a decatted header like the Bassani or Supertrapp. They can be had very reasonably and use the stock heatshields etc. This and an air cleaner will make a noticeable difference in sound and power for under $500.
ummm no it cost me about 20 bucks to decat my headers....20 bucks versus 300 to 500.....seems way more practical with my math.

The following 2 users liked this post by teedoff65:
CalypsoNotch93 (12-23-2020), RGS88 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:08 AM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,843 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
ummm no it cost me about 20 bucks to decat my headers....20 bucks versus 300 to 500.....seems way more practical with my math.
Exactly.

I bought my decatted header off Facebook Marketplace for $40, would've done it myself but I wanted to keep the stock header/cat in case I ever need it for a warranty situation... Lots of options on eBay as well for $100-150 shipped.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:03 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by teedoff65
For those of you that have decatted your headers, how important is it to grind down the crossover piece that sticks up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch?

Bought a carbide grinding stone but doesn't seem to work very well. What did you use if it does need to be ground down?

I thought I read here that you need to grind it down for proper flow.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
If you still want to grind it down, a long shank burr bit will do the trick. I think I paid about $30 for the one I bought.

How important is it? I did it because Steve Cole said it makes for less disruption of flow into the the crossover and maybe I imagine in the right side exhaust. I guess the stub sticking up will cause turbulence. Just how much flow goes into the crossover I don't know. If you still want to do it, $30 and about 15 minutes.

The following users liked this post:
TDSnowSPR (12-24-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 07:34 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by AmericanClassicMotors
American Classic Motor’s, you have been a member since 2008, 65 posts and now your hitting all the threads with sales pitches and BIG *** Ads.... come on now!!!!

The following users liked this post:
tyrant33 (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:48 AM
teedoff65
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ryan...
Exactly.

I bought my decatted header off Facebook Marketplace for $40, would've done it myself but I wanted to keep the stock header/cat in case I ever need it for a warranty situation... Lots of options on eBay as well for $100-150 shipped.
Well I had the stock headers from my 17 when I bought FM headers. So decatted them a few months ago with the anticipation of adding them to my new bike after putting some miles on the SE stage 2 set up.

Originally Posted by $tonecold
If you still want to grind it down, a long shank burr bit will do the trick. I think I paid about $30 for the one I bought.

How important is it? I did it because Steve Cole said it makes for less disruption of flow into the the crossover and maybe I imagine in the right side exhaust. I guess the stub sticking up will cause turbulence. Just how much flow goes into the crossover I don't know. If you still want to do it, $30 and about 15 minutes.
Thanks, I may grab one and give it a try. I'd hate to get them on and regret not doing it. lol

Quick Reply: Decatting stock headers