Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 06:10 AM
ron-kim
Novice
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cam Chest Opinion #2

Rough crowd over in CVO maybe i posted in wrong place 😕 received no responses:
W
ell after reading numerous different posts i decided to be proactive with the supposed oil pump problem. I purchased an S&S cam chest kit and had my dealer install same.(this was an interesting ordeal which i won't bother you with the details but it was amazing). My question is when the mechanic installed the oil pump they failed to install the oil seal which the pump had provision for when doing the installation.(i took for granted they would automatically do this)Any opinions out there from I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this than i , should i not worry about it or.......? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 01-19-2021, 06:14 AM
LoupGarou
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I would suggest consulting an indy mechanic.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:00 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,253 Posts

If it’s there, it’s there for a reason. S&S has a tech support number.

The following users liked this post:
ron-kim (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 07:44 AM
ron-kim
Novice

Originally Posted by Ironworker69
If it’s there, it’s there for a reason. S&S has a tech support number.
thanks

Old 01-19-2021, 08:17 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,970 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by ron-kim
Rough crowd over in CVO maybe i posted in wrong place 😕 received no responses:
W
ell after reading numerous different posts i decided to be proactive with the supposed oil pump problem. I purchased an S&S cam chest kit and had my dealer install same.(this was an interesting ordeal which i won't bother you with the details but it was amazing). My question is when the mechanic installed the oil pump they failed to install the oil seal which the pump had provision for when doing the installation.(i took for granted they would automatically do this)Any opinions out there from I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this than i , should i not worry about it or.......? Thanks in advance for any advice!
I did reply in the CVO section, to one of the two times you posted this in that section.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,525 Posts

If you’re saying the cover has the cutout for the seal but the mechanic did not install the seal itself then I would think that’s a problem, I would take it back and have them put the seal in. The seal is what solved my sumping issue before I upgraded to the new HD 8 lobe pump.

ron-kim (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:22 AM
ron-kim
Novice

Originally Posted by Quik
If you’re saying the cover has the cutout for the seal but the mechanic did not install the seal itself then I would think that’s a problem, I would take it back and have them put the seal in. The seal is what solved my sumping issue before I upgraded to the new HD 8 lobe pump.
many thanks for taking time to reply!

Old 01-19-2021, 10:49 AM
ron-kim
Novice

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I did reply in the CVO section, to one of the two times you posted this in that section.
my apologies, accidentally posted twice and my ""STUPID"" ##%$ing as# couldn't figure out how to delete the second post! Once again apologies.

FLSTFI Dave (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 11:22 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I have no input on the parts in question, but I'm curious about the "interesting ordeal" you experienced with the dealer shop installation. Also, how did you find out that the tech had left out the seal?

Old 01-19-2021, 01:41 PM
ron-kim
Novice

Originally Posted by KrustyKush
I have no input on the parts in question, but I'm curious about the "interesting ordeal" you experienced with the dealer shop installation. Also, how did you find out that the tech had left out the seal?
Hi Krusty , ok wasn't going to bother anyone with this but:
1. Inquired about having cam chest,Thundermax and Fullsac exhaust installed service advisor stated no problem have it completed in a day.
2. Delivered half hour before opening as asked came back that afternoon after 8hrs. inquired with service advisor if ready he said I'll go check.
3. Came back he stated there was an issue on start up and engine had no oil pressure tech was opening back up advisor stated will not take no time! ,(i figure he didn't properly seat orings to case but who knows) at that time I did ask if tech installed the oil seal on rear of pump he looked at me very puzzled and stated "no". I asked that he install the seal when opening it back up.
4. At 15min to closing 1hr 45min later service advisor came out asked for me to come back in the morning so the could tune it. I stated ok.(what ya gonna do lol)
5. Waited till 4pm the next day did not call or badger during the day didn't want to be hard to get along with.
6. Service advisor stated they were waiting on tune from Thundermax since that morning with no response! I stated in a round about way there are only 4 base tunes in their software with one being for a RS468 i asked them to please load that tune(not perfect but in the ballpark)and so Thundermax states the autotune will do the rest! 20 min later their taking it on a test ride.
7. When they get back and I'm paying for their services i ask if the oil seal was installed , the service advisor stated i looked at the pump while it was open the second time and there was no provision in the pump housing for the seal. I know for a fact there was since the first thing i check as a precaution was if the pump had the W stamped on the housing to differentiate it wad for a twin cooled engine. The oil cooled pump as you know would have an O.
I was kinda speechless and by that time just ready to get out of there.
8. Sorry for the book.

Quick Reply: Cam Chest Opinion #2