Sponsored by:

21 Ultra clutch is HORRIBLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 09:19 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain
Received 265 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmlndz
Coming out of a 2015 with hydraulic clutch to a 21 Ultra limited with cable clutch. Out of the lot the cable clutch just didn't feel right. After 400 miles took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the clutch and now it actually feels a lot better than the hydraulic version. Dealer told me to bring it back at 1500 for another adjustment to make up for the new cable stretch
Hi I posted this a day ago: Same here 600 miles, first Harley ever. Clutch slipping at 3200 rpm, 75mph throttle roll on. Rpm 3200 to 5000 no bike response just rev out. Back to the dealer.
What didn't feel right with your lever/cable? Mine was pretty tight but I had a good size friction zone. I was actually totally fine with it and getting used to it until the slipping on the highway.
Well I went to the dealer today and the problem was allegedly fixed.
The lever now has 3/4 to an inch of free play when fully disengaged (you feel no tension until also an inch pulled in). The clutch now disengages about 3/4 of an inch from the grip. Literally almost a full pull before it even disengages.
It's like a dead zone of play towards the middle of the pull, the friction zone is barely an inch from the grip. The clutch engages the moment it is released about an 1/8 of an inch from the grip. From disengaged to engaged is maybe 3/4 of an inch and then fully engaged.
I drove 1 mile tried to feather the clutch etc. No way no leeway engaged or not. Back to the dealer, tech claims it's fine drive it and get used to it.
They are having a different tech look at it tomorrow. I felt the clutch levers on all the 2021 bikes. A little free play as expected but not a loose lever for 3/4-1 inch.
I am used to a clutch lever that you pull in a bit, the clutch begins to disengage a bit and as you pull to the top it frees up and is totally disengaged. Obviously the reverse when engaging.
At the moment the slightest release engages the clutch and it goes full by 3/4 of an inch.
Sorry this is so long just trying to give a clear description.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:39 PM
supernac
Tourer
Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FunHuman
Hi I posted this a day ago: Same here 600 miles, first Harley ever. Clutch slipping at 3200 rpm, 75mph throttle roll on. Rpm 3200 to 5000 no bike response just rev out. Back to the dealer.
What didn't feel right with your lever/cable? Mine was pretty tight but I had a good size friction zone. I was actually totally fine with it and getting used to it until the slipping on the highway.
Well I went to the dealer today and the problem was allegedly fixed.
The lever now has 3/4 to an inch of free play when fully disengaged (you feel no tension until also an inch pulled in). The clutch now disengages about 3/4 of an inch from the grip. Literally almost a full pull before it even disengages.
It's like a dead zone of play towards the middle of the pull, the friction zone is barely an inch from the grip. The clutch engages the moment it is released about an 1/8 of an inch from the grip. From disengaged to engaged is maybe 3/4 of an inch and then fully engaged.
I drove 1 mile tried to feather the clutch etc. No way no leeway engaged or not. Back to the dealer, tech claims it's fine drive it and get used to it.
They are having a different tech look at it tomorrow. I felt the clutch levers on all the 2021 bikes. A little free play as expected but not a loose lever for 3/4-1 inch.
I am used to a clutch lever that you pull in a bit, the clutch begins to disengage a bit and as you pull to the top it frees up and is totally disengaged. Obviously the reverse when engaging.
At the moment the slightest release engages the clutch and it goes full by 3/4 of an inch.
Sorry this is so long just trying to give a clear description.
Should have a nickels width of free play. Free play is adjusted at the clutch, it can take a few tries to get it just right.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:00 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,339 Likes on 11,166 Posts

Not what anyone wants to hear. But, after installing the AIM slave on my ‘17 Ultra limited, the clutch has been great. It has never slipped, and it doesn’t clunk. And only takes a slight pull (taP) on the lever for a smooth shift.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:06 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,604 Likes on 4,451 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Not what anyone wants to hear. But, after installing the AIM slave on my ‘17 Ultra limited, the clutch has been great. It has never slipped, and it doesn’t clunk. And only takes a slight pull (taP) on the lever for a smooth shift.
my 2020 is light years better than my 2017 hydraulic clutch..it performs brilliantly with over 30,000 miles, no having to fuss with anything.I would never want to downgrade the great user experience by going to a cable again..no way no how

Old 06-10-2021, 03:18 PM
FunHuman
Road Captain

At 9am this morning I was at the dealer to meet the service manager when they opened (bike had been there all night). I explained the issues to him, I also added that I didn't want an adjustment to get me out the door and need a clutch at the 1000 mile service.
At 12pm high noon I was back at the dealership to pick up my bike. I was told the clutch cable needed to be readjusted, they had not gone back to the simple adjustment (yellow and pink plastic piece) on the cable after test riding it yesterday.
My impression, the clutch defiantly engages at a lot better location thru the movement. Still a bit more slack at the initial pull then I like but no big deal. The only thing I need to get used to is the engagement is still further into the pull (closer to the grip) than originally, so slow tight maneuvering and feathering the clutch will take a couple of days for confidence.
Aside from that I am happy and on the road. haven't had time to know if the new Cool Flow fan was worth it yet.
Good luck.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:03 AM
KINGLEO
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put 12,000 miles on my 2020 FLHTP cable clutch, had close to 0 friction zone and clutch engaged very close to full release of the clutch, had 0 feel. It worked fine but but it was not at all to my liking. I did put on an Oberon adjustable clutch lever which did move the clutch engagement closer to the handle bar which helped with my control of the bike. But did nothing to increase the friction zone. I almost put on a Rekluse slave cylinder, but as I could not actually try out the product, and experience the improvement I would get for the money I didn't do it. Reading Rekluse sales information, I liked the description of the product advantages, but could not experience the improvement and know for sure I would like the like the benefits that I would actually receive for the $300 + spend for product and installation, so I didn't get it.

Then... for other reasons, I sold the bike and bought the 2021 FLTRK with the cable clutch. As delivered the free play was set to factory "spec" at 1/16" free play. Clutch engaged at the the very end of the clutch release point and I couldn't feel any improvement in the friction zone with at this free play setting. To me this was absolutely 0 improvement. Then, after ~1000 miles, the clutch cable expanded with use, and the free play went to 3/16" which helped with clutch feel a lot for me. Once Oberon comes out with the adjustable clutch lever for this bike, I'll put this on and I expect a much improved over satisfaction of the cable clutch. Now with 3000 miles on the cable clutch, actually I'm quite pleased with the feel of the cable clutch over the hydraulic clutch - a very nice improvement. Adjustable clutch lever for this bike will only improve my experience and satisfaction even more and I am only waiting for it's availability for my bike to install it.

And...at 1000 mile service, although I told the service team not to touch the clutch adjustment, they did and the free play auto spring set device snapped 1/16" free play back and I lost the feel I loved. So I took the bike back and asked service to adjust back to 3/16" which they were able to do in less than 10 min total. So that free play actually IS adjustable on my bike.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:06 AM
KINGLEO
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, had a typo, the 2020 did have the hydraulic clutch not a cable clutch as I originally posted

Old 07-05-2021, 09:55 AM
FunHuman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by KINGLEO
Put 12,000 miles on my 2020 FLHTP cable clutch, had close to 0 friction zone and clutch engaged very close to full release of the clutch, had 0 feel. It worked fine but but it was not at all to my liking. I did put on an Oberon adjustable clutch lever which did move the clutch engagement closer to the handle bar which helped with my control of the bike. But did nothing to increase the friction zone. I almost put on a Rekluse slave cylinder, but as I could not actually try out the product, and experience the improvement I would get for the money I didn't do it. Reading Rekluse sales information, I liked the description of the product advantages, but could not experience the improvement and know for sure I would like the like the benefits that I would actually receive for the $300 + spend for product and installation, so I didn't get it.

Then... for other reasons, I sold the bike and bought the 2021 FLTRK with the cable clutch. As delivered the free play was set to factory "spec" at 1/16" free play. Clutch engaged at the the very end of the clutch release point and I couldn't feel any improvement in the friction zone with at this free play setting. To me this was absolutely 0 improvement. Then, after ~1000 miles, the clutch cable expanded with use, and the free play went to 3/16" which helped with clutch feel a lot for me. Once Oberon comes out with the adjustable clutch lever for this bike, I'll put this on and I expect a much improved over satisfaction of the cable clutch. Now with 3000 miles on the cable clutch, actually I'm quite pleased with the feel of the cable clutch over the hydraulic clutch - a very nice improvement. Adjustable clutch lever for this bike will only improve my experience and satisfaction even more and I am only waiting for it's availability for my bike to install it.

And...at 1000 mile service, although I told the service team not to touch the clutch adjustment, they did and the free play auto spring set device snapped 1/16" free play back and I lost the feel I loved. So I took the bike back and asked service to adjust back to 3/16" which they were able to do in less than 10 min total. So that free play actually IS adjustable on my bike.
I am now at 1200 miles (lots of rain) the clutch is satisfactory for now. It still releases kind of abruptly very early as you release it. I am living with it for the moment since I have work scheduled in 10 days at the dealership. 122 kit which means I think I should install the SE clutch springs or SE clutch. I will report back.
Btw the Cool Flow fan is mentioned in this thread. It works GREAT! So worth the money, draws a ton of heat back and down directed behind your right leg. Auto/On set and forget, dealer installed total $600.

The following users liked this post:
KINGLEO (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 426 Likes on 192 Posts

My 2020 hydro is great. Barley tap to shift. Nice super smooth and wide precision friction zone. Very quiet trans with great shifting. Have been using hydros for the last 10 years, can't imagine going back to a cable, especially when racing where prwcise clutch control is everything. Slow speed operation and tight maneuvering is so much easier than cable. I had long expected burned up clutches would manifest themselves with any cable clutch that felt lighter than a hydro. All the 2021 cables I have felt were super stiff including the other day. It is simple mechanics that a cable will always been heavier unless it is not fully engaging. Sounds like my predictions were accurate.