Milwaukee Eight (M8) 2017 and up M8 Air and Liquid Cooled discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan assist oil cooler never seems to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 11:14 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,513 Likes on 2,134 Posts

Update: Fan works fine.

Looks like I have joined the ranks of the "false alarmists". I was so used to my 2019 Road King's fan remaining on for a few seconds when killing the motor that I just assumed the Road Glide would do the same, and was concerned when I never heard it after shutdown. But I confirmed it runs by feeling around that the fan was indeed blowing during my pleasant 92 degree ride this morning.

Just for your amusement, this also happened today while heating up the oil for my "hand job" experiment: When I pulled off the highway to check the fan after a nice 30 min straight 85mph run, at the exit red light my motor started idling strangely. Of course since I was thinking in "paranoid mode" I immediately thought "sumping" but a blip of the throttle brought it to normal idle, which then pretty quickly started to chug again. Thankfully I came to my senses and remembered "EITMS"... But I always disable it? Weird... Then I realized I must have enabled it when testing the fan. You test the fan by holding WOT for a few seconds with ignition on, engine off. But the first time I tried the test, I forgot and rolled off the throttle, which is exactly how you enable/disable EITMS. So checking it on my info screen, sure enough it was enabled. Whew. Once I got off the bike to feel around the fan, I also re-disabled it.

So all is well in my world now...

Thanks for the "reach around" suggestion Steve.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mchad:
jlb2782 (07-23-2021), NorthWestern (07-23-2021), Old Sport (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
Mchad, I will gladly take your rain, here. Yesterday was the first day in 34 days that it wasn't at least 97 degrees. The northwest is going to be a burnt wasteland by October.
At least yours is a dry heat. Try 90's with 90% humidity and blazing sunlight. It's literally the worst. Your perspiration doesn't evaporate to cool you. You just get soggier and soggier until you eventually pass out and die. I would welcome a few days in the desert at this point.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:21 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 5,571 Likes on 3,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
At least yours is a dry heat. Try 90's with 90% humidity and blazing sunlight. It's literally the worst. Your perspiration doesn't evaporate to cool you. You just get soggier and soggier until you eventually pass out and die. I would welcome a few days in the desert at this point.
I have been to Florida only once, in August. I got off the plane in Orlando, and that humidity hit me, damn.
Yes sir, you are correct about that.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:37 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
I have been to Florida only once, in August. I got off the plane in Orlando, and that humidity hit me, damn.
Yes sir, you are correct about that.
It's disgusting.

That and you can't get a decent loaf of crusty bread anywhere in this state. I want out.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:36 PM
603Hog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,078 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by mjwebb
we'd kill for your rain out here in Oregon..driest, drought stricken and record temps, 117 recently and fire season..again... ..we have the largest fire in the country going on and it's causing air quality pollution in NYC!!!

after the pandemic, all the fires, ice storms..this is our theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa43FNUdpU8
I would gladly send you our non stop rain if I could, I just wouldn't want your extreme in return. But, I would still like to have some semblance of summer before summer is over, which for us is in a little over a month. The weather we are getting is what we usually get in the spring. By the way, the smoke from the fires out your way have made the few days with sun here quite hazy. But it does make for a beautiful, red sunrise.
And Mchad, glad you are all set. Now I know if my fan doesn't run for a few seconds after I hit the kill switch, like it did on my last bike, I should be good. But I will be performing the "reach around test", just to be sure!

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

It's disgusting.

That and you can't get a decent loaf of crusty bread anywhere in this state. I want out.
That didn’t take long!

I’m down to FL quite a bit but real picky about the time of year. Makes for a whole different experience.

Planning on owning something on the gulf side in the next year or two, but gotta keep my NJ getaway as well to provide the occasional escape.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:06 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Old Sport
That didn’t take long!

I’m down to FL quite a bit but real picky about the time of year. Makes for a whole different experience.

Planning on owning something on the gulf side in the next year or two, but gotta keep my NJ getaway as well to provide the occasional escape.
Yeah, that’s what we need. Something up north where we can enjoy nice weather and real food from April to November, then down here for 4 month when it makes sense, Dec-March.

The following users liked this post:
Old Sport (07-23-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:55 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 765 Posts

Yeah, that’s what we need. Something up north where we can enjoy nice weather and real food from April to November, then down here for 4 month when it makes sense, Dec-March.
I moved down here in '95 from NJ and when I retire Im a gone ***. Last friday the heat took its toll on me again cutting the yard. Got dizzy and the shakes. Third time in 2 years. Dam pool is 91 degrees.
The new bike with 1051 miles is in summer storage. The heat takes all the fun out of riding for me

Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed that same fan on my 17SGS, and like you it would come on with the WOT test with bike off course, lol, and I could hear it fine. The only confirmation I had it actually worked when riding was coming home from a ride, pulling in the garage, throw it in N, and get off the bike to put my hand down there, sure enough blowing air. Now my 20RGL, when I shut it off, if it's been run in hot enough temps, the radiator fans stay on may 20 seconds after shutting it down. So definitely sounds like yours is working as advertised.

Old 04-27-2022, 01:35 PM
keith5313
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my fan assist oil cooler 62700204 on my 2020 Road Glide Special, and flashed the BCM using my Diag4bike (digital tech-lookalike). However the fan never seems to kick in. I’m in Florida, so it’s hot. I do run with my LoveJugs fans on pretty much all the time, but even when off I don’t get fan.

The fan is definitely enabled, and will come on if I do the diagnostic check of turning on ignition and with motor not running, hold WOT for a few seconds. The fan comes on just fine. I even went back in and unchecked the fan in the BCM settings, and confirmed the fan DOESN’T come on using the previous test. So I set it back on, tested again and it blows. Just not when riding.

So like I said, it’s hot. Florida hot. I got big 128 jugs. More hot. A big cam. Even more hot. Why the heck wouldn’t the fan come on?

I had the stupid H-D oil temp dipstick but it only seems to work when the bike isn’t hot. Useless. So I don’t actually know my oil temps, but while I love the stuff, i doubt my Red Line 20-50 has super miraculous oil cooling properties…

Any ideas? Tx.
you need to have the dealership flash the ecm to activate the function for the fan to come on at certain temp. what you are doing is just for testing purposes, but the fan control need to be enabled on and you can only do it by having the dealership to enable the fan function.

Quick Reply: Fan assist oil cooler never seems to come on?