Sponsored by:

Take to shop to tune bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 05:56 PM
aarondeere
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Take to shop to tune bike?

I have a '18 heritage with the 114. I had my local indy shop change out the oil pump for a s&s to take care of any possible problems along with new lifters, red shift 468 cam and thundermax tuner. They don't have a dyno there but said they set the parameters for the engine and put a map in it. Said to run it and by 500 miles it should adjust to my riding style. Now I've only run about 300 miles but am just now starting to track mileage and notice a big drop in fuel economy. Seems to run good but smells very rich. So do I keep running it, talk to my indy shop, or talk to my harley dealer to get it in and have them tune it? I'll say that cam sure did wake up the engine.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:01 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,005 Posts

Originally Posted by aarondeere
I have a '18 heritage with the 114. I had my local indy shop change out the oil pump for a s&s to take care of any possible problems along with new lifters, red shift 468 cam and thundermax tuner. They don't have a dyno there but said they set the parameters for the engine and put a map in it. Said to run it and by 500 miles it should adjust to my riding style. Now I've only run about 300 miles but am just now starting to track mileage and notice a big drop in fuel economy. Seems to run good but smells very rich. So do I keep running it, talk to my indy shop, or talk to my harley dealer to get it in and have them tune it? I'll say that cam sure did wake up the engine.
Is there a tuner box still attached? What tuner did they use?

Doesn't sound correct to me unless you're u have an auto tune device attached.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:14 PM
aarondeere
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Is there a tuner box still attached? What tuner did they use?

Doesn't sound correct to me unless you're u have an auto tune device attached.
it's a thundermax tuner. I'm thinking it's a auto tuner.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:24 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 963 Posts

Thundermax is an auto-tuner, with limits (10% of current table). He should have instructed you to go back to him every 100 miles to "write" the auto-tune tables. It will only allow auto-tuning to go 10% above the current setting/table which is why it's so important to do it every 100 miles for the first 300 miles. You end up with a much better tune at the end. Dyno is not necasary with the TMax. You can also do this yourself with a laptop. The tuner should have come with a 10' USB cable. I let my shop do it, he's a master tmax tech shop.

The following 2 users liked this post by chopper_man:
aarondeere (12-12-2022), Goose_NC (12-13-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:29 PM
aarondeere
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Thundermax is an auto-tuner, with limits (10% of current table). He should have instructed you to go back to him every 100 miles to "write" the auto-tune tables. It will only allow auto-tuning to go 10% above the current setting/table which is why it's so important to do it every 100 miles for the first 300 miles. You end up with a much better tune at the end. Dyno is not necasary with the TMax. You can also do this yourself with a laptop. The tuner should have come with a 10' USB cable. I let my shop do it, he's a master tmax tech shop.

Thanks. I'll check with them tomorrow

Old 12-12-2022, 06:39 PM
cobra23
Tourer
Received 385 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a Thundermax on my 2022 street bob. I also noted my gas mileage dropped to the mid 30's mpg after installation. So I contacted Thundermax tech support and their response was that they deliberately made their tunes rich to give the bikes more power, greater motor longevity, and to make them run cooler.

MPG has stayed consistent at 34-36 mpg for the last 1200 miles. Plenty of power though.

aarondeere (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:40 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by aarondeere
Thanks. I'll check with them tomorrow
Is your guy listed as a Premeir dealer? Surprised he didn't tell you this.
https://store.thunder-max.com/pages/...orized-dealers

Last edited by chopper_man; 12-12-2022 at 06:42 PM.
aarondeere (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:53 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,676 Likes on 4,482 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23
I have a Thundermax on my 2022 street bob. I also noted my gas mileage dropped to the mid 30's mpg after installation. So I contacted Thundermax tech support and their response was that they deliberately made their tunes rich to give the bikes more power, greater motor longevity, and to make them run cooler.

MPG has stayed consistent at 34-36 mpg for the last 1200 miles. Plenty of power though.
I always thought leaner AFR means cleaner burn more horsepower, to a point anyway..talking top end high rpms open loop..oh well, I'm a firm believer in seeking out the best dyno operator tuner I can find

Last edited by mjwebb; 12-12-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:30 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,348 Likes on 3,681 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper_man
This is not correct about the Tmax only changing injector PWs 10%. The maps are set up so the max allowed change is one 10% per starting and running. The Tmax continues to tune after each time you ride the bike.. There is a way to set max offsets in the maps but it has pretty much been disabled since the Gen 3s came out.. The wave tuning probably eliminated the need.

It's not a bad idea to get a laptop and learn how to tweak the settings for sure. Autotune really doesn't do very much . It simply adds the offsets to the current injector PWs then clears them. What is good about updating the maps and clearing offsets is that you can watch to see how the tune is going.

As far as going to a dyno. it's not a bad idea if you want to optimize performance but you likely won't make more than a few HP/TQ unless the timing is way off. Also, it's hard to find people that can/will tune a tmax mainly because they are a different system compared to the stock EFI. Most dyno tuners prefer flashing the stock module through software PV, TTS, and others) over the Tmax.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,348 Likes on 3,681 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra23

I would think on a street bob you could get a little better mileage.

I have a twincam Electra Glide with a built 107 motor, cam heads, TB etc and it gets about that mileage maybe a little better if I ride with a bunch of old farts.

You can easily lean out the whole map by moving the head temp aft correction map up. There is a hot key that does it.. I would think that a lighter bikes with head cooling should be able to run leaner than a TC.

NorthWestern (12-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Take to shop to tune bike?