Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Rental insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Just to clarify... you are talking about being covered for liability while renting, correct? Or are you talking about your insurance policy paying for the cost of a rental bike while yours is in the shop after a wreck? OR are you talking about if you wreck your rental bike, will your insurance cover the damages to the rented bike?

Edit: With Progressive in New York, Rental Vehicle coverage is automatically included in your motorcycle policy. If you have the coverage on your normal policy, it will follow you when you're on a "loaner" or if you rent from eagle rider or something similar. That said, you need to have the coverage on your policy in order for it to apply to the rental. So you'll need to carry collision coverage if you expect Progressive to pay for the damages to your rental if you wreck.

Last edited by BTLorys; 12-20-2017 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Buck05 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Buck05
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Just to clarify... you are talking about being covered for liability while renting, correct? Or are you talking about your insurance policy paying for the cost of a rental bike while yours is in the shop after a wreck? OR are you talking about if you wreck your rental bike, will your insurance cover the damages to the rented bike?

Edit: With Progressive in New York, Rental Vehicle coverage is automatically included in your motorcycle policy. If you have the coverage on your normal policy, it will follow you when you're on a "loaner" or if you rent from eagle rider or something similar. That said, you need to have the coverage on your policy in order for it to apply to the rental. So you'll need to carry collision coverage if you expect Progressive to pay for the damages to your rental if you wreck.
Just looking at coverage from renting (e.g., EagleRider). Interesting that some folks say that Progressive will cover, and others won't. Perhaps it depends on the main bike's coverage. Currently, I don't have comprehensive on my old bike, so if I did, maybe my carrier would cover rentals. I'll give them a call to see what I can find out.

Sure appreciate everyone's input.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Buck05
Road Captain
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Talked to Progressive, and sure enough, if I had comprehensive coverage rental bikes would be covered.

The following 2 users liked this post by Buck05:
BTLorys (01-03-2018), cficole (12-29-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:37 AM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at Harley Davidson Motorcycle insurance and getting quotes from them. I believe the company is Dairyland Insurance out of Wisconsin. I found it on the Harley-Davidson.com website under "owners" then "financial services" then scroll down to motorcycle insurance. There is coverage for trip interruption if your bike breaks down and also coverage for a rented motorcycle if you go somewhere and want to rent a bike to ride while there. Check it out, I'm actually looking for comparative suggestions from someone that already purchases insurance from this company and how they compare in the claims pay-out and customer service vs. the state farm policy I have currently.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by GarBare
I've been looking at Harley Davidson Motorcycle insurance and getting quotes from them. I believe the company is Dairyland Insurance out of Wisconsin. I found it on the Harley-Davidson.com website under "owners" then "financial services" then scroll down to motorcycle insurance. There is coverage for trip interruption if your bike breaks down and also coverage for a rented motorcycle if you go somewhere and want to rent a bike to ride while there. Check it out, I'm actually looking for comparative suggestions from someone that already purchases insurance from this company and how they compare in the claims pay-out and customer service vs. the state farm policy I have currently.
I think I've read quite a few positive things about Dairyland on these forums. Another thing to remember if you're shopping around... ask if they provide any discounts for being a member of various motorcycle associations. For example I know I can get a discount through my company for being a member of HOG.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 PM
GarBare
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In doing further research I've been told by HD Insurance that they are now a stand alone company underwritten by Sentry Insurance and no longer affiliated with Dairyland, Progressive or Geico. Does anyone know how efficiently or prompt this Sentry Insurance Group on claim settlement and payout??

Here's what's listed at the bottom of their webpage:

Quote provided through Harley-Davidson Insurance Services, Inc., a Nevada domiciled insurance agency (NV#5597). Harley-Davidson Insurance Services insurance products are underwritten, and claims are handled, by a member of the Sentry Insurance Group, Stevens Point, WI. Policies, coverages, benefits, and discounts are not available in all states. See policy for complete coverage details. Please contact Harley-Davidson Insurance Services at 800-909-8393.