Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Markel Motorcycle Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 AM
GhostC6
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Markel Motorcycle Insurance

I just wanted to share this. Not sure about their service in the case of a claim because luckily I have not needed it yet.

Their prices are AMAZING! I purchased a full year of full coverage insurance with $500 deductibles for my 2001 Heritage Softail Classic for less than $150 for the entire year of coverage. That is amazing. So if you need coverage but more to make the bank, cops and State happy, this will make your wallet happy.

If anyone has experience with claims I would like to hear about it. I got the coverage just to shut up the bank and the cops so claims was NOT my primary goal. So if claims suck or are not the best I got what I paid for but at the prices they have its an inexpensive way to satisfy the bank and others.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Ridem-Rhody (03-10-2020)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

I had them for a year and they upped my premium about $100. I didn't make any claims so I can't vouch for that. When I asked why it went up, they stated it's just the "trends." I switched to Harley Davidson insurance and it was the cheapest I could find for my area. And I called them all.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:30 AM
GhostC6
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks, I hope they don't do that to me, time will tell.

It pisses me off how the VALUE of your vehicle can go down but the insurance premiums don't. Example, you can have a new $80,000 car and pay say $200 a month for insurance. The car value, what they will pay if it is totaled goes down to say $30,000 but your premiums stay the same or go up.

I think as the value, their obligation goes down, so should your premiums. It does not make sense. I understand that liability and other parts of the policy not decreasing as that part is the same. But the comprehensive and collision should decrease when the vehicle value decreases.

But that will never happen.

Richard Skeen (05-07-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,614 Likes on 5,177 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostC6

It pisses me off how the VALUE of your vehicle can go down but the insurance premiums don't. Example, you can have a new $80,000 car and pay say $200 a month for insurance. The car value, what they will pay if it is totaled goes down to say $30,000 but your premiums stay the same or go up.

I think as the value, their obligation goes down, so should your premiums. It does not make sense. I understand that liability and other parts of the policy not decreasing as that part is the same. But the comprehensive and collision should decrease when the vehicle value decreases.

It does.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:35 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes145
I had them for a year and they upped my premium about $100. I didn't make any claims so I can't vouch for that. When I asked why it went up, they stated it's just the "trends." I switched to Harley Davidson insurance and it was the cheapest I could find for my area. And I called them all.
I found my insurance thru Markel went up from $180 in 2017 the year I bought the bike, to $242 last year. I called and was told I'd have to wait until June to know what my new rate will be when it comes due in July.

That is the exact conversation I had with Markel last week. Collision and comp both went up in 2018 from what they were in 2017 even though the bike was a year old, and of course had depreciated in value. She didn't have an explanation for that... of course.

I've been one singing the praises of Markel on here but, if my rates go up again at renewal I'm going to start looking elsewhere.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:05 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey Ghost, you will be fine, Markel rules, in any forum ins rates from any company will go up and down for others and others will stay the same.
Bottom line is dont fall in love with ANY insurance company. Car, Truck, bike, boat, home, it doesnt matter, if you are not checking at LEAST 3 different companies for everything that you insure every year, then you are paying to much.
Be loyal to no one, there is no reason to be loyal in an insurance company, just like there is no reason to be loyal to a gas company. Price wins all the time.Markel is one of the best.

With that said, I always go with best price on everything I own and I check every year. Boat, Bike, Car, Truck and home. Ill bet I have switched home ins companies 5 times (at least) in the last 12 years. Cars, trucks and bike maybe 4 times in the last 12 years. Best price wins, no reason to be loyal, none, zip, nada ... ).

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-25-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 AM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 359 Likes on 212 Posts

I got a quote from them, and they were no kidding more than double what I am paying currently for the same coverages/deductibles/limits/etc. In fact, I have gotten quotes from most of the major insurance companies, and have had the same experience, for some reason.

Uncle Larry (06-20-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 03:45 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

My experience was strange. My Progressive rate went up a bit. Then I told them I was selling my 2007 Ultra, and buying a 2014 Limited; that dropped their new rate somewhat. I went to Markel, and it was even less. FWIW, I've got high limits and low-to-middlin' deductible, so it's not a low-end policy.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Today it's Markel, tomorrow it'll be Geico, Wednesday Progressive, then Dairyland, etc.....

Just like snowflakes, no two quotes are alike. Rates constantly fluctuate, and very greatly by a crap ton of variables.

You'd have an easier time trying to solve the logic behind air fares.

In my case Markel wan't in the ballpark, Geico is the current champ on premiums.

I have had claims experience with both Progressive and Geico, and both companies handled things without any grief on my part.

Last edited by Brewmany; 04-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:06 PM
johnnynitro
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have had Markel for many years and many bikes Never a problem on any claims. Or anything ! Great luck with Markel !

Quick Reply: Markel Motorcycle Insurance