Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
Damn, I need to shop around... my rate went from $236/yr to $483 when I traded the Nightster for the Fat Bob. I'm with Foremost. Was quoted $690+ from Progressive.
I'm with Foremost through AARP. $142 a year, full coverage, 4K accessories, yada, yada, yada.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 AM
hogcity5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on FOREMOST INSURANCE 2007 FXD with low deductable amounts $296.00 yearly

Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my Nightster on Progressive and didn’t really shop around for a policy on the new bike. They gave me $376 a year on the Street Bob (which was about $50 more than the Nightster for the same coverage), but that was the website and even though I signed up under my old policy they included ‘home owner’ discount on my new policy that they know isn’t right. So, I expect to get a notice that it’s going to be more. I might argue about it, but I doubt it will do any good. I somewhat regretted not shopping around after I noticed that. That also included other discounts like safety course and repeat customer or something.

Speaking on this topic…. You wouldn’t believe the bs that they gave me when I tried to cancel my old policy on the Nightster. The chick actually told me ‘we report that you cancel your policy to your state government and if you don’t have coverage you’ll have to go to see a judge and it will cost lots of money.’ That’s almost verbatim what she told me. I almost tripped out. I was like, huh? You can’t be seriously trying to tell me that? I don’t OWN THE BIKE ANYMORE!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance rate for my 08 883L is $281 per year. Since I am in the process of trading it in for an 09 FXDC, the rate will increase to $390. The insurance company is Dairyland.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
DiggerD
Tourer

Progressive was the lowest for me, 312.00 per year.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

$240 a year for full coverage with State Farm.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by recon_sct
Progressive was the cheapest for me at around 350 - 400 a year. Where state farm and another wanted somewhere close to $1000.
I have State Farm and it costs round $700 per year... and I have very high limits due to a personal umbrella policy that requires me to have such high limits. I think it's a bargain. I like to know I'm covered (as well as my family) in worse case scenarios.

It's hard to compare polices over this forum. If you carry low deductables and low limits or don't carry enough uninsured motorist coverage (look out for that illegal!), then what do you consider a bargain? I shopped around and got some very nicely (low) priced quotes, until I read the fine print... Plus, I like to be insured with a reputable company who can afford to replace my bike (or car) in the quickest amount of time.

Before you talk about your wonderful, low cost policy, understand what coverages it contains. If you're not sure or you want to know what happens in the event of an accident, call your carrier. I'd be willing to bet that half the people in this forum are underinsured.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It also depends on your credit rating, age, driving history, where you live etc.
Virginia is in the top 10 of states where motorcycle accidents and thefts happen.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
frankjake
Road Master

About 3 weeks ago I started a thread on Insurance over in the general chat area.

Everyone has a different rate and it depends on MANY factors.

I live in Oregon and the cheapest rate I found was with Geico at $340 a year. EVERYTHING else I own, 3 vehicles and 2 houses are with State Farm. They couldn't come close to Geico. When I gave them Geico's rate, they said they State Farm can't offer that low of a rate in Oregon.

Then they went on to tell me a few of the criteria. Location, size of engine, year, how much did bike cost, YOUR credit rating, do you own your own home, are you married, how old are you, how many tickets. and the list goes on.

It just seem strange to me that one company can be cheap in one state and expensive in another.

I had Formost, but when I bought the fat bob, they wanted MORE to insure it than my V-Rod. I told them the V-Rod is a performance bike and the fat bob is not. To Formost, it doens't matter, they go by the engine size, no matter what the speed rating is. The fat bob was going to $250 more per year than the V-Rod, I switched to Geico for only $340. Formost wanted $750.

My suggestion, call around. You are going to get all different kinds of rates for different companies. Just go with the one you are most comfortable with.

On another note, Geico could NOT beat State Farms price for my regular vehicles. So much for multi car discounts.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

"FrankJake: It just seem strange to me that one company can be cheap in one state and expensive in another."

It does make sense if you think about it. Higher the population the more the greater the rate of accidents.

For instance. I'm 33 1 failure to obey a traffic device ticket, 2 cars winnebago and a house All through AAA in SD. I pay 235 on my bike, and about 140 for everything else minus my home (escrow etc.) Good Credit.
You know why my rates are so low? Because there is no one to run into. I never have to wait in traffic. And unless their an Ahole, no one tail gates me. I usually have a car length in front and behind. There is less of a chance for me to have an accident.

Also for those with dairyland. I was hit by a drunk driver with dairyland, it took 2 months after I got out of the hospital for me to get the money for my car. I had to constanly fight with them about the value. They did pay right up on the medical though.

Quick Reply: Insurance