Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Important MC insurance warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcop
Sorry Harleyinnc but under/uninsured insurance coverage does NOT cover medical bills. Never has, it covers the vehicle only. If you want your medical bills covered then you have to pay a premium same as for collision or comprehensive. All insurance companies are this way. I don't carry medical because I have health care insurance through my job which will cover injuries sustained in a vehicle accident.
My Policy says I have $50,000 ea person & $100,000 ea accident under/uninsured motorists bodily injury coverage. I also have $25,00 uninsured motorist property damage coverage. So I don't know what the hell the $50,000/$100,000 covers if it won't cover my medical bills. I guess if someone made a left turn in front of me and I hit them and they got cut by flying glass and if they didn't have insurance, then mine would pay there bills. The whole thing stinks

Old 09-18-2010, 06:56 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

The only way to get your money from "Under insured' from your insurance company is to use an attorney. That is what I've heard from two different people.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The whole thing stinks, sounds like we get screwed by insurance companies on both sides of the pond!

Don't know if it's relevant but in the UK we are allowed 10% speedo error, so on a road with a 65mph limit we could do an indicated 72mph and not be charged, as we believed we were legal. This is pretty close to the speeds you mention.

It can't be act of God as the truck driver should have checked the tyres and even if you were speeding that would not have been a factor in causing the accident.

Get a better attorney and good luck.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 PM
roadkinging
Advanced

dude.... glad you are safe after such a bad mishap. that being said and done with...dont you wish you had been wearing your hi-vis vest

Old 09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your lawyer got somthin from the trucking co,and or the truckers insurance co. and yours are screwin you over.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

they said my policy does not cover my medical bills
Did you read your endorsement cover page and see what medical coverages it included? Many of the discount policies don't include it. NJ Manufacturers (auto) didn't cover medical unless it was included at a higher premium. My State Farm policy includes it but it is added on at additional expense of about $90 per year.

That's one reason why I like having an agent to talk to face to face. Don't take anything for granted in your policy. Only certain areas are mandated to be included under some state laws. Other areas are an option, if available at all.

I don't see the reasoning of your speed in relation to the faulty tire tire. While the group was speeding as far as the posted speed limit was concerned, I don't see it as a direct causation of the mva. We called it "Apparent Contributing Circumstances". I see your chance of going after the owner of the vehicle and the operator as good.

So I don't know what the hell the $50,000/$100,000 covers if it won't cover my medical bills
It covers your liability if you are involved in an accident. It does not address medical at all for you personally. It may not cover any passengers either. Many MC policies don't.

Just took a quick look at the GMAC website. they state the medical coverage provided is controlled by the amount of coverage you specify, if any. MV policies do not usually include it as some are covered for injuries through another health policy. I am yet I have coverage on my MC policy in addition to my other coverage.

Last edited by rscalzo; 09-18-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Harleyinnc
Cruiser

Thanks for everyones input. No Doubt that GMAC is screwing me. Thats why I'm done doing buisness with them forever. Our speed should have nothing to do with a truck tire blowing. I do have pretty good health insurance from my job. I'll just have to pay my deductable and copays. I'm still hoping the lawyer can get the trucking co to pay though.Not giving up yet

Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance

Harleyinc you need to check your policy. I believe that $50,000/$100,00 is your liability section. This covers you if you are at fault. Medical should be a single set dollar amount. Please don't get me wrong, I feel your pain. I just happen to have gone through this about 10 years ago with State Farm. That's why I now have Geico.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM
trikerjb
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you try getting a LOCAL agent who will explain your coverages, etc, rather than trying to nickel and dime your costs by going with some company that doesn't give a rat's *** who you are????

Sorry for your problems, but if you'd gone local to a professional agent, you'd KNOW what coverages you have... And for those of you who think insurance companies do nothing but screw you... my guess is you, too, don't have a quality local agent...

Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyinnc
"...I had full coverage from GMAC on my bike including 50/100K un/under insured motorist coverage. When I contacted GMAC they said my policy does not cover my medical bills." ....."I contacted a attorney and when he talked to GMAC they told him the police report said our group was traveling at 75 mph, the truck at 72 mph and the speedlimit was 65 mph. Because of that the truck, the rider who was hit by the treadcap and I were all at fault and they would not be going after the trucking company to pay my medical bills and my claim is closed."
Either your medical costs were part of the contract, or they were not. That part should be easy to determine by reading your policy.

Lets assume for a minute that your policy included some coverage of medical costs up to some stipulated amount.

Here is the weird part to me: GMAC is agreeing to cover your bike. Regardless of who is at fault, GMAC will be paying to repair or replace the bike. Unless you have a bizarre policy, (or some state law impacts the contract,) I wonder how GMAC can cover the bike regardless of fault, but deny some other provision in the policy (medical expenses) due to some finding of fault. Either fault matters or it doesn't, but it doesn't 'matter for some parts of the policy and not matter for others'.

If you don't have medical coverage included in your policy you may be screwed on the medical costs, but if you DO have it included I agree with the others - hope you can work something out with your attorney.

Sorry for the situation you're in.

Doc

Quick Reply: Important MC insurance warning