Motorcycle Insurance Discussion This is the place to discuss what type of Motorcycle Insurance you carry or any problems or good experiences you've had with certain companies.

Broker Fee - ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
McBolt1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a CA Ins Agent...work closely with clubs, motorcyclist etc. IF your agent has a direct appointment with the insurance company (in other words, that agent has the authority to quote and bind) they cannot charge a broker fee if the insurance company is what is called ADMITTED...most companies that write presonal auto in CA are admitted. You can go on line to the CA Dept of Ins and file a complaint. The exception is (and if the insurance company allows it) they can waive their commission in leau of a fee...it is worth filing a complaint on. The bad agents make us all look like crooks.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
bobber33!
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring an old thread up but I just want to warn others here in CA about Cost U Less Insurance. I know times is hard for many of us and we are all looking for a cheaper rate etc. Me and my bro just got raped by Cost U less insurance. Like a dummies we did not read the fine print.

My bro's truck blew a head gasket yesterday afternnon. Fortunately he still had his Sportster that was non-opped. So we got on the ball asap this morning, went to register at DMV and then went to get insurance. My bro has had both his Class C and M1 license for 15years and only two points on his record for that entire time. For basic liability Cost U less quoted us $479 for the year and a $200 down payment. It sounded a little high to me so I told the agent to see if he can find something better, in the meantime I was gonna head to the bank across the street to deposit some money for the down payment. When I returned I was surprised to see my brother signing paperwork. I asked what's the final quote and he said they couldn't find anything better so he agreed to the $479. I didn't feel like arguing with him so I gave them my card to pay for the deposit and said whatever. Upon returning home I started looking through all the paperwork and found that they were charging him a broker fee of $331!!!!! and that the insurance premium for the year was only $148!!!! I was so shocked I called him and explained to him what just happened. He flew off the handle, came home, grabbed the paperwork and grumbled words of displeasure about how he was gonna cancel the insurance and then cut off this guys head. I had to stop him at the door and explain to him the damage is done and read him the fine print "Broker fee is non-refundable".... Now he just want's to just cut the guys head off.

So for those of you, in a hurry, in a bind, or even just plain hurting. Use your head and take your time shopping for insurance. Don't make the same mistake we did. And NEVER got throught some cheap company like Cost U-Less....Now if you can all excuse me for this rant...I gotta grab a bottle of Jack for a pissed off 6'3" biker that want's to cutoff some pipsqueeks head.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,669 Likes on 5,196 Posts

Does anyone even use them anymore?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 AM
bigjosh42
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't understand what the pupose of going into an agents office is when you are in a "bind" or in a "hurry". There are so many insurance companies that do business online, that give you instant quotes and the ability to buy a policy immediately. We are all on this forum, so we all have a basic knowledge of how the internet works, so it boggles my mind why you wouldn't at least take a quick look online to see what you can get for your money. Sounds like these agents see and hear the desperation in you all and pounce on it to make a quick buck. I guess caveat emptor applies here.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As if they didn't make enough. Yet another insurance BS ripoff.
I read someplace, that brokers make 10-15% from the premium we pay.

My bank has gone into vehicle insurance. I got a quote, that was 15% less then what my broker wanted for another year. I said goodby to the broker.

Last edited by Pete6114; 01-12-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,669 Likes on 5,196 Posts

I do not understand why anyone would use a broker to buy much of anything.
But to buy insurance would make no sense at all

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I do not understand why anyone would use a broker to buy much of anything.
But to buy insurance would make no sense at all
Up here in Canada, dealing directly with ins. company's is next to impossible. Pretty well have to go through a broker.