Motorcycle Parts For Sale-Misc. Parts See Specific Models in Sub forums Below This is the place to post your misc. Harley Parts for sale. Please Read The Rules For Posting In the Classified Section before attempting to post here.

WTB - FOR SALE - time waisted

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

More often than not used parts are not going to sell anywhere near the price of new. That's just a fact. Used parts don't have warranties. They're costly to ship. They're non-returnable. And used often means various signs of use like blemishes. There are exceptions like OEM parts for old bikes that are obsolete. But rarely for anything else, especially after market stuff. I think the best way to go is Craigslist. That avoids shipping and selling charges. And gives the buyer a look see before he buys.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Here is an example. Made an offer on a tour pack here from a seller. Price was fair and the seller was willing to negotiate but wanted $90+ to ship it. The seller was not willing or interested to use Fed Ex or slower options with USPS. I found another tour pak in better shape for less money on facebook and the seller used fed ex and his own box for $38 shipped. Why charge someone $50 more to ship?

Just my thoughts. I always look for the best way to help someone out and save cash if I can. Not mad at that seller but chose to go elsewhere. Ended up with a nicer one anyway.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Old coots ( like us? ) remember when a Swap Meet was parts ... not jewelry, stickers, bed sheets, and the like ... It was also ( around here in the Cold Country ) a time to get out and mix/mingle a bit ... Times change
You got that right. All that Harley history laid out in milk crates and spread on blue tarps.

Originally Posted by Bingee
More often than not used parts are not going to sell anywhere near the price of new. That's just a fact. Used parts don't have warranties. They're costly to ship. They're non-returnable. And used often means various signs of use like blemishes.
Yup. My deal was always "70's stuff at 70's prices." I never priced item like they were the last ones in existence. I priced them like I didn't want them anymore.

Last edited by Hey Man; 12-24-2018 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (12-24-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 09:09 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
Here is an example. Made an offer on a tour pack here from a seller. Price was fair and the seller was willing to negotiate but wanted $90+ to ship it. The seller was not willing or interested to use Fed Ex or slower options with USPS. I found another tour pak in better shape for less money on facebook and the seller used fed ex and his own box for $38 shipped. Why charge someone $50 more to ship?

Just my thoughts. I always look for the best way to help someone out and save cash if I can. Not mad at that seller but chose to go elsewhere. Ended up with a nicer one anyway.
For a couple reasons, distance matters in cost and if they have a business account, FedEx and ups rates are crazy cheap with volume. I can ship something using my business account priority overnight for $10-15, if I use my personal account it's $60+. $90 to ship a tour pack isn't that unreasonable actually, especially if it's going more than halfway across the cont US.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:06 AM
wmiller959
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought a few items and sold a few items on here. If you don't like someone's price on an item you can always make an offer or not. Let the market dictate whether an item sells or not. Don't take things so personally, and please don't harass someone about their prices, you either want the item or not. The policy on this site says to not use 'friends and family' payment option on PayPal but I find so many folks ask that you use it and get offended if you don't. Just my 2 cents, I appreciate everything this site tries to do on a daily basis.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221

??? I sold a tour pak for $1000 (color matched to 2012 FLHXSE) that had never been mounted on a bike, and it cost me to ship it over $100 UPS. I can't imagine what USPS or FedEx would have charged. And this was not at a UPS store of pak and ship place that adds 20%.

Shipping costs money!

Old 12-29-2018, 03:20 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Old coots ( like us? ) remember when a Swap Meet was parts ... not jewelry, stickers, bed sheets, and the like ... It was also ( around here in the Cold Country ) a time to get out and mix/mingle a bit ... Times change
Any more you can't just find an empty parking lot and declare a swap meet this weekend. You have to get a permit then pay someone for the use of the lot, and sometimes a take on the sales.
This is why you have to have all the rest of the crap go in with a parts sale. Plus it does bring more people to the event.
I used to go to one meet in Vegas that started out just a few people in an old trailer park and now is a major event three times a week. But they do try to group things together. You spend all day there to see everything and have a couple meals while you are there.
Where I live now the swap meets are a lost cause no matter what you are selling. But I'll take the lesser population anytime !

Old 12-30-2018, 01:14 PM
tx freebird
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by last12know
plus one... easier to leave it sit in the barn.... don't know how many times i boxed something and got shipping only to never hear from the person again..
Plus 2 + I used to have an eBay business selling used parts. eBays shipping policies, increasing fees, and Amazon removed all profit and incentive. I now use a swap meet or simply scrap the stuff.