Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Shout out to Colorado...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:12 PM
esteboatan
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan28
Thinking about riding to Pike's Peak on Memorial Day weekend. Will it be too crowded? Roads unsafe for a bike, ie. ice/snow?
Its an odd one up there, it could be nice sunshine around but snowing up top, I like to ride up mount evans each year and its the same type of thing. Usually best to go early morning as the clouds come in after midday and then anything can happen. As far as going on memorial day I would imagine it will be busy, I generally stay away from the major tourist hotspots on the holidays out here in the spring/summer as it seems everyone likes to go out.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by esteboatan
Its an odd one up there, it could be nice sunshine around but snowing up top, I like to ride up mount evans each year and its the same type of thing. Usually best to go early morning as the clouds come in after midday and then anything can happen. As far as going on memorial day I would imagine it will be busy, I generally stay away from the major tourist hotspots on the holidays out here in the spring/summer as it seems everyone likes to go out.
I think I've also heard that the Air Force Academy has graduations around that time, so hotels may fill up. I also like to stay away from tourist hotspots on holidays, but that is when I get to take some vacation.

I did a STL to Tail of the Dragon to Mobile, AL, Gulfport/Biloxi/New Orleans and back to STL in October '15 I think. I guess that was when a big "El Nino" storm in the Pacific pushed across Mexico into the southern US. Good thing was I had the Tail of the Dragon to myself practically, but it was cold and wet the whole time. Then I went from there straight down to Mobile, AL in pouring/driving rain for almost the whole trip.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:22 PM
esteboatan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dan28
I think I've also heard that the Air Force Academy has graduations around that time, so hotels may fill up. I also like to stay away from tourist hotspots on holidays, but that is when I get to take some vacation.

I did a STL to Tail of the Dragon to Mobile, AL, Gulfport/Biloxi/New Orleans and back to STL in October '15 I think. I guess that was when a big "El Nino" storm in the Pacific pushed across Mexico into the southern US. Good thing was I had the Tail of the Dragon to myself practically, but it was cold and wet the whole time. Then I went from there straight down to Mobile, AL in pouring/driving rain for almost the whole trip.
Thats true about the Air force graduations, totally forgot about that and yes the springs gets over crowded at that time.
The good thing though is the mountains just west of there, you will have plenty of road to yourself and lots of great riding down the canyons. I like to take the back roads from Monument (just north of colo springs) up to Denvers suburbs or down that way from Littleton to palmer lake and deckers area. Very tranquil short ride, takes about 90mins either way.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Dan28
Road Master

Rode up as far up Pike's Peak as was open yesterday. Think it was about 4 miles from the Summit. Then just went in random direction after. Ended up getting caught in nice downpour and then in heavy traffic on my way back to hotel in north Colorado Springs.

I went up early, and only had to wait for one car at the entrance. However, when I was exiting, the line to get in was backed up to the "North Pole" attraction.

Attached Thumbnails Shout out to Colorado...-gopr4292.jpg   Shout out to Colorado...-gopr4289.jpg  

Last edited by Dan28; 05-28-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:45 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,995 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Looks Awesome !

Old 05-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Just got back to Colorado Springs from trying to go to Mt. Evens today. Didn't get to the peak there either as it was also closed. I think I got high up, but not sure how high. Anyway, now that I'm back at the hotel, I see the GoPro vid I took of my trip up Pike's Peak has finished uploading.

Last edited by Dan28; 05-28-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 05-29-2017, 07:08 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,995 Likes on 1,659 Posts

I think I accidentally peed a little watching this....
Will be taking this trip in July from CO Springs up to Ft Collins, around Walden. Don't know if I'll make it to the top! ha..
Thanks for the Vid !

Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Dan28
Road Master

Today is my last day in Colorado Springs and I was planning on riding the Peak to Peak road and stay the night in the Ft. Collins area. Pike's Peak is open to the summit today, so I think I will go back and hit the summit. Though I'll be doing it with a fully loaded bike today.

CrBear, it really isn't as bad as the video might make it seem. Although I did have my iPhone clamped on my bars with Google maps running and it was showing me all the upcoming curves... when I looked down at it instead of admiring the scenery.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Dan28
Road Master

Got to the summit on Memorial Day. This is the ride down from the top.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:54 AM
esteboatan
Tourer

Glad you have enjoyed the trip out here. Good vids too, I have lived in CO for 10 years now and have still not ridden pikes peak, I ride the mt Evans road, highest paved roadway in N.America, every couple of years to get my high fix

Wish I had checked in to this thread earlier and I would have ridden with you. I finally got around to fixing my bike after the hit and run and feeling comfortable back on two wheels.

Ride safe and have fun

Quick Reply: Shout out to Colorado...