National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

National canadian hog rally 2017

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 09:06 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Digger1930
Happy to hear that you finally managed to get in and registered Gary.

I have to agree the site is terrible. I keep looking and see that the US has rallies listed early, and we have to keep nagging to get any info and even at that it only trickles down for us in Canada.

That's because your damn fingers are still frozen and they can't work the keyboard!! ROTFLMAO

I'm working on my itinerary on all the stuff I want to do when I get there. I have a ton of things and places I want to go to - trying to find the time to do it all - not being too successful.
I have a few questions I hope someone can answer
1. Parking??? I don't see much available public parking in the downtown area. I want to visit the Mint, the War Museum, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Mountie Shop, and the Hill, etc., but don't see any nearby parking. Here in Chicago area almost all tourist places have their own parking lots All the pubs/restaurants have their own parking lots - not so in Ottawa - - that I can see.
2. What about taxis, are they all around like Chicago or do you have to call for one?
3. Are there certain areas of Ottawa they should be avoided??? Every city has them.
4. Where is it easier to cross into Canada, by Johnstown or Wellesley Island??
Thanks

Last edited by GARY DYER; 02-17-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 AM
Digger1930
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Gary,

- Parking...Your best bet for parking is at the NAC at the intersection of Albert and Elgin $5 all day, from that point you can walk to the Hill, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Sparks Street Mall you can park for free at some spots on the Byward Market which is close to the Mint and another great place to walk around and tones of restaurants...stop off at FatBoys great place to go on the Market.
- You can hail a cab they are everywhere, Uber is cheaper than the rest of the cabs in town.
- Ottawa is a safe town have never seen/hear of any issues in any part of town.
- We travel down to Watertown all the time and Wesley Island is our favorite spot to cross.

The following 2 users liked this post by Digger1930:
Erilflynn (03-13-2017), GARY DYER (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Thank you for all that useful info. A big help.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain
Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
That's because your damn fingers are still frozen and they can't work the keyboard!! ROTFLMAO

I'm working on my itinerary on all the stuff I want to do when I get there. I have a ton of things and places I want to go to - trying to find the time to do it all - not being too successful.
I have a few questions I hope someone can answer
1. Parking??? I don't see much available public parking in the downtown area. I want to visit the Mint, the War Museum, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Mountie Shop, and the Hill, etc., but don't see any nearby parking. Here in Chicago area almost all tourist places have their own parking lots All the pubs/restaurants have their own parking lots - not so in Ottawa - - that I can see.
2. What about taxis, are they all around like Chicago or do you have to call for one?
3. Are there certain areas of Ottawa they should be avoided??? Every city has them.
4. Where is it easier to cross into Canada, by Johnstown or Wellesley Island??
Thanks
Gary, there is parking at the War Museum and if you're a Vet you should get free admission. I would also recommend the Aviation Museum on the Aviation Parkway. Again, free admission and lots of parking there as well. The ride along the Aviation Parkway is really nice. It travels thru the downtown core, goes right by the Mint and the PM's residence (Rideau Hall), then travels along the river. It's a great ride with lots of viewpoints and rest stops where you get get off your scoot and stretch your legs. I'd stay away from the Vanier area in Ottawa but you shouldn't have to worry too much as their really isn't any need to be in that area as there is nothing of interest in that part of town IMHO.

Not sure of either of those crossing points, I usually cross in NY at Ogdensburg or at Cornwall, Ontario. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Erilflynn (03-13-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrokenAnchor
Gary, there is parking at the War Museum and if you're a Vet you should get free admission. I would also recommend the Aviation Museum on the Aviation Parkway. Again, free admission and lots of parking there as well. The ride along the Aviation Parkway is really nice. It travels thru the downtown core, goes right by the Mint and the PM's residence (Rideau Hall), then travels along the river. It's a great ride with lots of viewpoints and rest stops where you get get off your scoot and stretch your legs. I'd stay away from the Vanier area in Ottawa but you shouldn't have to worry too much as their really isn't any need to be in that area as there is nothing of interest in that part of town IMHO.

Not sure of either of those crossing points, I usually cross in NY at Ogdensburg or at Cornwall, Ontario. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input.

Even a U.S. vet gets free admission?
I'm looking at an aerial view of the war museum and I don see one parking spot. Could it be an old picture? It says the image is from 2017.

One of the venues for the HOG rally is at the Air museum so I'm assuming there will be plenty of parking there.

I think you mean the Sir Cartier Parkway?? The Aviation Parkway doesn't go near the river, the Mint or Rideau Hall

Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Thanks for your input.

Even a U.S. vet gets free admission?
I'm looking at an aerial view of the war museum and I don see one parking spot. Could it be an old picture? It says the image is from 2017.

One of the venues for the HOG rally is at the Air museum so I'm assuming there will be plenty of parking there.

I think you mean the Sir Cartier Parkway?? The Aviation Parkway doesn't go near the river, the Mint or Rideau Hall
Gary, you are correct, and all this time I thought it was the Aviation Parkway, lol. I've had US and UK Vets visit the War Museum and the Aviation Museum and they got in for free. That was within the past two years so I don't think they would have changed the policy on that. We may not be as Patriotic as our Brother's South of the border but the National War Museum and Aviation Museum sure are. Their is limited parking at the War Museum right out front but if you park at the Mill Street Brew Pub on 555 Wellington St, it's about 200 yards from the museum and you can park for free, than grab a bite to eat after. It's a great little pub over looking the river.

The following users liked this post:
Erilflynn (03-13-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Gary, you are correct, and all this time I thought it was the Aviation Parkway, lol. I've had US and UK Vets visit the War Museum and the Aviation Museum and they got in for free. That was within the past two years so I don't think they would have changed the policy on that. We may not be as Patriotic as our Brother's South of the border but the National War Museum and Aviation Museum sure are. Their is limited parking at the War Museum right out front but if you park at the Mill Street Brew Pub on 555 Wellington St, it's about 200 yards from the museum and you can park for free, than grab a bite to eat after. It's a great little pub over looking the river.
I stand corrected. I just went on Google Earth street view. Guess what?? There is parallel parking along Vimy Place and what looks like some kind of indoor parking, at least there is a door on the side of the museum. Don't know if it's for employees or general public. I guess I could contact them.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:45 AM
BrokenAnchor
Road Captain

Contacting them would be the safest bet but a good fall back is the Mill St Brew Pub, I have eaten there many times and the food, service and views are all great.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Contacting them would be the safest bet but a good fall back is the Mill St Brew Pub, I have eaten there many times and the food, service and views are all great.
I'm planning on it. Thanks

Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

My plan is to park it and take Uber as I know I'm going to be gawking.

Haven't been to Ottawa in 20 yrs, looking forward to visiting some of the sites as well as the Rally.

Do they still have Beaver Tails there?

Quick Reply: National canadian hog rally 2017