2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment causing bluetooth problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Well-Adjusted Outlaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Infotainment causing bluetooth problems!

Hello all,

So far, (knock on wood) my Infotainment system has been really well behaved. I got the bike with 1.18.x installed and had no problems. I upgraded to 1.19.0 and still didn't notice anything until probably a week or two ago. This post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...h#post14275353 just pretty much sealed the deal for me and proved it's what's causing the weirdness.

I have an Android phone and a smart watch. I linked my phone to the bike to do bluetooth music streaming over the mobile network. After upgrading to 1.19.0, I started noticing stuttering while audio was playing and that my watch kept telling me that it was disconnected. I also started having some serious battery drain problems both on my phone and my watch. Didn't think too much about it, factory reset the watch, blah, blah, blah. I even turned it off and back on again. Lots of times. Still, though, I keep having the problems. I've even had bluetooth disconnect and reconnect while riding a couple times- The Bluetooth icon goes away for a few minutes and comes back, a minute or two later my phone usually re-connects.

Last week, I noticed that the wifi on my phone was really acting up. If I switched the phone to airplane mode and then back to normal, the problem would clear up. I had no theory about the cause until I started looking a little deeper into WTF was going on with my watch. A post I skimmed on an auto forum noted that someone's Toyota ICE system (made by Harmon Kardon...surprise) kept showing that it was connected even though the car had been off for quite a while. I didn't think too much about it then, but as I looked more and more, people were noting that their vehicle bluetooth was staying connected even with the head unit off- Honda forums, Toyota forums, and even Android forums all had similar posts.

I decided to look into anybody having the same problem on Harleys, or any release notes from HK or HD that might say this issue existed or was being addressed. Today I found the post from above today, so I looked at my Phone's BT settings. My watch said disconnected, my BT was on, and sure enough the HD radio said it was connected. The bike has been off in my garage for probably 2 hours or more. So I told the phone to "forget" the paired radio and it instantly fixed the problems I've been having!

I feel lucky that this has been my first real issue with the infotainment system, but this is the kind of thing I think most people here wouldn't notice right away but it would annoy the **** out of them. So, if your phone's bluetooth and wifi has been acting weird and your battery is draining quickly (in the battery graph, "Android OS" or "Google Services" will be one of the highest items in the use list), then you might want to see if un-pairing with your bike fixes the issue.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,189 Likes on 7,990 Posts

The newest software for Boom Box is 1.19.1

http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...downloads.html