Sponsored by:

Good experience at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
hamlinbikertrash
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good experience at dealership

I know the dealers get bashed pretty good, so i thought i would relay a good experience at Smith Bros in Johnson City Tn.
I just relocated to East Tennessee from Western NY. My 14 limited has a little over 18k on it and the back tire was bald. Most of my stuff is in a POD somewhere. I called them on Tuesday and they got me in on Wednesday.
I was a little worried because i`ve heard of people getting charged upwards of $500 for rear tire and install. I usually get the tire online for 200ish and do the whole install at my buddy`s house. Not an option at the moment.
So they charged me 239 for the tire and 79 for install. I know they need to make their money and that seemed fair. everybody was super friendly and they were done quick. And they washed the bike!
I was happy and that`s all that matters. I would use them again if i had to. Normally i don`t have to.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:12 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I lived not far from there for 4 years...

Glad your experience there was positive.

Sales guys are typically better at Black Wolf in Bristol.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Seems like a fair deal. Plus quick turn around, so now you can start to explore your new area.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

I've been dealing with our local dealer since 2005 never had any bad experience 5 bikes later we are good friends now.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:17 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I too found a great dealer, but they are not local. I ride 2 hours to go there.

My local dealer has given me a such a hard time and did not want to do warranty work since I opted to buy my new ride from a dealer that was willing to deal. I won't even by an o ring from them any more.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 11-14-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:25 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

That's great! My dealer, that I otherwise love, charges $150 for the rear if you ride the bike in. Obviously, that's not where I have my tires done.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Axegrinder
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I can relate to the OP....My local dealer (Zepkas in Johnstown Pa) is awesome

Old 11-13-2015, 09:46 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I lived not far from there for 4 years...

Glad your experience there was positive.

Sales guys are typically better at Black Wolf in Bristol.
Funny you should mention Black Wolf HD in Bristol Virginia, we took a trip there to ride Hwy 421 (The Snake) over Labor Day Weekend, still had my '14 Street Glide at the time, any how, my clutch started acting funny, stopped at Black Wolf HD, sure enough there was a 3rd recall for my Vin (Already had 2 recalls done) well they didn't have any of the clutch kits in stock, no dealer within 100 miles had any, what did they do, took a complete master cylinder off of a new on the showroom floor 2015 FLHXS and put it on my bike, and gave me a 20% discount on anything that I wanted to buy! Now they could have said "sorry we can't help you" but that's not how they operate, they were not going to leave me stranded or make me pay a tow bill 300 miles from home!

I have nothing but PRAISE for the fine folks at Black Wolf HD in Bristol VA!!!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
I've been dealing with our local dealer since 2005 never had any bad experience 5 bikes later we are good friends now.
Since your so close to me what dealer are you referring to?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 AM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never buy a new bike from Black Wolf in Bristol. The reason? I don't want to end up with a bike they cannibalized and are passing off as a new bike.

I don't live near them so that helps take care of that problem but sorry I can not back the practice of cannibalizing new bikes. Dealers have a away of getting parts it is called overnight delivery.

So you end up having to spend a night, that is just the way it goes. No dealer can be expected to carry every part for every bike, their inventory would cost them millions. That is why they stock the faster moving items and order the slower moving items.

That is also why they can overnight parts as the manufacture has a responsibility to provide parts in a reasonable time.

You are happy because they cannibalized a new bike and got you going but I bet you would not be happy if you found out that nice new bike you bought had been cannibalized for parts before you bought it.

I would never knowingly buy any bike that has been used as a parts bike and if I found out I would never trust the dealer again.

Quick Reply: Good experience at dealership